883 or 1200 Sporty for a Frankenstein ??

Hi in past have had a road smith HD and a Champion GL1800 now I want to
Build a one person trike cheaply. Looking at a Sportster and a Frankenstein
Kit. Want to do it as reasonable as possible that's why I'm looking at using a
Sporty. Again it's not for 2up or to take long trips. Because I live in Canada
Importing a trike is almost impossible but I can build one and get it approved.
I know more power is usually better but 883's are a dime a dozen used. So any Sporty Frankenstein people can you help me out.
Thanks. Bob

The Frankenstein kit works well with the sporty, and it makes a great little trike, especially if you are riding solo.

I ride my stage 1 Frankenstein Sportster 883 solo and am satisfied with it's performance (i'm a large guy). The 1200 big bore kits (below links) are in the mid-$500's plus labor. I do overnight & 2-up rides on my Spyder and for the around town, zippy runs, I'll take the Sportster trike.
Hastings and V-Twin Mfg 883 to 1200 big bore kits.

Last edited:
Converting my 09 883 sporster to a trike.

Trying to determine how the Frankenstein center is constructed.

Is the center aluminum housing the total carrier or is
the aluminum center housing a shell for the dana 30?

Could machine off the ring gear flange and side bearing journals of the steel dana 30 carrier and set inside the alumium shell where the pulley and brake disc are bolted to the aluminum housing.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. Will start looking for a Sporty this winter, will buy whatever
the best buy is. I will update as my conversion goes. Bob

Raven you are way ahead of me so I can be of no help. But keep us updated.

Last edited:
Hey Cheska, have you looked at the Champion kit for a sportster yet? it looks just as good as the Franky and they have been building trike kits for a long time. as far as the engine goes , my wife has a 2007 sportster 1200cc and it is really quick and powerful. we ride in the mountains of northern Pa. in the summer and it has no problems climbing any of them. my wife or i have never driven a 883 so i cannot give you any honest advice about them but they are known to be plenty quick with lots of torque. safe riding.

I have a 2006 1200 XL Custom Sportster with the Frankenstein trike kit. This replaced the former Trinity trike kit.

The Frankenstein kit has been great! I raked the front forks with their suggested 5 degree triple trees to make steering easy. I have a K&N air cleaner, Vance and Hines Short Shot exhaust with the quiet baffles and recently had the carb re-jetted. Lots of power riding solo and 2 up.

Found the the answer to my question.
the dana 30 carrier is modified by machining the bolt head side the ring gear flangle flat. Also, the ring flange OD is reduced with about 1/4" edge distance.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png