Laquinta Inn No Respect for Military or Seniors

Sep 26, 2009
salem indiana
While traveling cross country I have stayed at a variety of motels. They are typically very accommodating as I am a disabled, retired, military senior. LaQuinta Inn, however, is not. Let me explain... Late last night while sitting at the Grand Junction Best Western I called the LaQuinta Inn to make a reservation for tonight. The direct line was down and I was told to call back in an hour it should be repaired. Tired from a long day I waited and tried again, the line was still down but the reservation line employee said that she could help me. I am traveling with another couple and my wife and needed two smoking rooms (Laquinta is one of only a limited few motels in the greater Denver area that has smoking rooms). The woman on the line said no problem she could get us two double bed rooms or two king bed rooms both smoking. I said the doubles would be fine and asked if she could get them side by side and on the ground floor since we are on bikes. She informed me that she couldn't guarantee those things but smoking wouldn't be a problem. I then asked if they gave military discounts, she said only active duty. My 25 years of service doesn't count even with my military ID. I said ok I'm a senior and AARP member, she asked are you 65 or older? No I am not, I am only 62. She said they only give discounts to 65 and over. Being a smoker I didn't argue, but when I got to the motel they didn't even have a smoking room available much less two. Had I known I would have just stayed at one of the many motels or hotels for that matter that are more appreciative of military service and respectful of the elderly.

To bad you didn't ask last night. Black Hawk would of been a great place to stay and I believe they still have smoking rooms. Best western usually has a PC in the lobby for your use to make reservations. Sorry for your issue as a vet. No excuse for La Quintas attitude.

Smoking rooms are getting few and far between, most places are refitting the rooms and making them non smoking so they can fill the house. I have to deal with this because my wife smokes and is adamant that we have a smoking room. There however is no excuse for treating former military the way they did, 25 years of service is something they should recognize.

I travel a lot for work and that chain has always been so far at the bottom of my list as to make a dumpster next door a more attractive nights rest. OK, maybe not quite that bad, but it literally is never a consideration when I travel. Not being a smoker (except when on fire. Don't ask), I don't have any ideas what chains still have rooms. Usually seems to be ones that haven't refurbished in a while.

I'm also retired military and quite frankly don't expect a military discount from any hotel/motel. Why should they? My service is over and I'm an ordinary Joe able to pay my own way.

I have found motels and hotels use different criteria for the same discount. If I don't qualify for any of three discounts, there is always AAA. Doesn't USAA also qualify?

Not sure if the USAA would work as a discount. Family members can get it as well. Being 22, I am a USAA member due to my mom's service in the Navy.

Sorry to hear about a bad experience with LaQuinta Inn.

Personally myself I feel the same way as oahe does.
I'm a Vietnam Combat Vet and I also do not expect any discounts or special treatment from anyone or any place because I served my Country and I'm proud of doing so but my service is over and I'm just an average guy paying my own way and don't expect anyone to give me anything.
Although I still feel I should at the very least get an apology from those draft dodgers, protesters, and low lifes that spit on me and called every filthy name they could think of when I came home.
Sorry if I offended anyone but it is what it is.
Dan

My wife & Ozzie our Dog always stay at LaQuinta's from Minn to Phoenix & back again. They are great places to stay at. Never ever had a bad stay with them. I served in the Navy. I don't expect any discounts cause I did. AARP is good enough. Or AAA if you have them. One of the few places that allow Ozzie to stay with out co$ting us more $ because we have a pet with us. We will continue to stay there because they are clean friendly and well kept!

I've stayed at La Quinta from coast to coast and have always been treated good. I like the chain and will continue to use them. I'm also a disabled vet and have never had any issues there either. I do find that most places will give a larger discount for AARP than most military discounts though. I say that you had a bad experience and should contact their corporate office before you tell everyone not to use the chain.

Tomg

They are on par with Day's Inn low budget and if I wnted low budget I would stay at motel 8 . but I would rather stay in my little Aspen camper.

Personally myself I feel the same way as oahe does.
I'm a Vietnam Combat Vet and I also do not expect any discounts or special treatment from anyone or any place because I served my Country and I'm proud of doing so but my service is over and I'm just an average guy paying my own way and don't expect anyone to give me anything.
Although I still feel I should at the very least get an apology from those draft dodgers, protesters, and low lifes that spit on me and called every filthy name they could think of when I came home.
Sorry if I offended anyone but it is what it is.
Dan

Good one, Dan. Snappy salute....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png