1st real ride with this VW beast

Bikerbozo

Class Clown
Jun 9, 2010
Coram, NY USA
Took the VW for first extended ride today. 28 miles one way to work. Featured stop and go and highway speeds. It was the toughest riding I have done in years. Takes 200% more concentration to operate this beast. Does handle bumps pretty good. Like the independent suspension. Loud and obnoxious (me and trike). People on the road loved it. Never had so many waves and smiles from car drivers. I thought a couple were going to have accidents because they were busy looking at me. Nothing fancy, just "Mad Max" vintage trike. At least, that's what I call it. :qpnmt:
Since I found out the hard way the other day that it has a 4 gallon tank, I think I will look into some sort of auxiliary gas. With no Speedo/odometer yet, can't be sure, but seems to get just under 30 mpg. Need to also get petcock with reserve on it. Probably get 5 gal gas can for home also to tip it off each day.

That's great ,,yep about 29 miles to a gal with twin carbs I also have a marine GPS speedo but if your a techie just use your I phone . You get use to all the waves and it's a heck of a conversation piece and if your like me that's not a problem . Wife says it draws some strange people at times and I guess it does .

Great idea Slick. Didn't even think of GPS Speedo. Just did a couple quick searches and see plenty of Speedo/odometer combo that use GPS. As opposed to full screen GPS.

Hey BB if you go to Arizona Trikes and click on parts you'll see the extra fuel tank that I run . It mounts between the tire and transmission out of the way and gives you four more gal ,,,,which is a good reserve . I have mine on a electric fuel pump and able to switch between the tanks , some just use shut off valves both will work .

, I think if you add something like this you may not have to ride caboose again ,,,,just saying !!!!

Bikerbozo, I'm sure u've posted a pic but I'd love to see the machine:D
cooltech:cool:
Here you go, Cooltech. A couple of pics from different angles. One with wife also on it. And, no, she is usually only a passenger. She will never be given the keys AND there is ZERO chance I could teach her to shift.:qpnmt:
Replaced generator with alternator. Now looking to figure out where to connect Reverse light, so I know when shifting wrong. It's somewhere on that manual tranny. Just haven't spotted it yet. 1970 VW Bug engine and 4-speed tranny.

Now looking to figure out where to connect Reverse light, so I know when shifting wrong. It's somewhere on that manual tranny. Just haven't spotted it yet. 1970 VW Bug engine and 4-speed tranny.

Mine's on the front of the tranny, next to the rod you hook the the linkage to.

Like Doug D. said
On the nose next to the shift rod.
Not all have it though. I think 66 or 67 was the first year for the switch. So some early swing axles will not have it at all.

9880795653_d43ee248f8.jpg

Awesome ride!
Thanks.
I think I just solved one of the last big problems. New alternator didn't seem to be charging. Suspected it had something to do with dummy light. Seems LED lights don't pull enough juice to get the voltage cranking. I tried old signal light and can see it dim as I rev engine and now I see voltage at battery go over 13vdc finally.
Still have to figure out better mounting for brake. My legs are long enough that it is not easy pressing it.
Also, just took a close look at tranny in daylight. Seems this one just doesn't have reverse light switch.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png