1400 miles in 22 hrs on 014 Triglide

May 25, 2011
Griffin, Ga USA
The trip: From central Georgia to western Maryland and back. Done each way in 11 hours out and 11 hours back (3 day break in Md. between rides).
A lot of curves in W Va. taken at 80 mph with rock steady control (Please worry about other things besides me going over the speed limit). No buffeting from big trucks or wind gust. Had to down shift to 5th on steep grades to maintain speed. No engine pinging at any time (I used the highest octane gas available when filling up). Cruise control maintained speed +/-3 mph up and down hills. Got from 24 mpg to 34.5 mpg on a tank of gas. Most comfortable long distance in a day rides I have ever made on a motorcycle (and I have made a bunch of them).

Problems: The GPS: (please don't tell me to look in the manual. I am in contact with HD about the following), I cannot figure out how to store locations the on screen, icon reverts to an arrow regardless of what icon you select when you turn off the trike, during day time the screen goes to night back ground when going through a long tunnel and either takes 20 to 30 min to go back to daylight background, or stays dark until you restart the trike.

This is the best motorcycle I have ever owned over the past 53 continuous years of riding motorcycles!

While the "save" feature doesn't work (think HD is working on that) your destinations will show up in "recent". I'm not sure how many it will store there, but I've got at least 10 so far.

Dennis;
I had every item you sell on my 2011 Triglide. The bad news is that HD must have went to your website and incorporated most of your products into the 014s. The distance from the bottom of my 014 mufflers to ground is exactly the same as my 011 with your 1 1/4" lift kit. Wind buffeting behind the windshield is just about non existent with 014. They made the rider seat deeper. I doubt it's a coincident that HD found these changes were needed.

We just finished a similar trip. 14 hours and 800 plus miles the first day Florida to Virginia. The second day was easy 7 to 8 hours to mid Pa. We had a two day lay over and reversed the trip . The trike (2013) rode great , but the fuel mileage was rough !!

Last edited:
When I first read your post heading, I thought you did the Iron Butt Bun Burner, which is 1000 miles in 24 hours. Which I'm still planning on doing one of these days. Since I almost 70 it's going to have to be pretty soon. ThumbUp

Almost all my vacation trips each year require me to ride at least 11 hours per day minimum. I get 4 weeks off for vacation each year, but they only let me take a week at a time so in order to get anywhere neccessitates the long hours. Kidney belt, ear plugs and a great bike allow me to do that over and over again year after year. ThumbUp

Can't wait to retire so I can take a leasurly 200 to 400 mile days and just visit the local areas on the way. :)

My maiden voyage with the "new" trike conversion was Dallas to Milwaukee, a little over a thousand miles. Door to door it was just under twenty hours. The weather was great and the trike rode very well. I had to prove that my old butt (65) and the new trike fit together. They do.

OUTSTANDING!!! Someone who really enjoys their trike and first ride post wasn't a bitchfest. Wife and I both ride trikes ('09 and '11) We just came home from a 3300 mile ride of the north west. We have been on Harleys 30+ years and love the trikes. The '09 will probably become a '14 this year, just hard to trade off something that we are very happy with.

Can you "see" the GPS? My HD GPS (Garmin) on Ultra CVO has so much glare, most of the time all I see in it is a reflection of my tee shirt flapping in the breeze. It 's also hard mounted on the dash and consequently pointed over my left shoulder instead of pointed at my face.

Two days after my 70th I rode home from Cedar City, Utah in 17 hours and 1015 miles on my 2013 trike. Got home and ate dinner, watched a show, took a shower and went to bed. A good ride. 2 years ago I rode my Fatboy Low 793 miles home from Tonopah, NV and was so tired I didn't want to get off the bike. I feel there is no comparison between between 2 wheels and 3 for riding long distance.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png