Thoughts On My 2012 Gl1800 Hannigan

Sep 20, 2009
NE Ohio
Weather and work has been limiting my seat time on my new toy, finally got chance to get 100 miles on yesterday evening to go with the 80 or so I got last week. One thing I didn't care for was the wide spread and reach from my seat, 2 wheel and 3 wheel would leave me with a back ache in pretty short order. I ordered and installed the riser kit from <a href="http://www.mblinnovations.com/store/GL-1800-Handlebar-Adapter-Kit-1803S-Standard-Version-6-.htm" target="_blank">MLB Innovations </a>standard kit which brings the bars back 3/4" and narrows them 2 1/4", I didn't have one single ache or pain while riding yesterday so the problem is solvedpepper.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
The ride is pretty darn smooth, the only exception is the crummy Honda anti dive which as we all know makes the front end slam on most bumps. I'm going to give it a year and see if I still want to pull the front end apart and ship it off to a good friend for the complete Traxxion setup. Bumps hit with the rear are non issues, it just glides over them, I like the fact it doesn't rock side to side when going over tracks like a straight axle does. <br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
I have the 4.5 degree rake from Zook which IMO is just right for me, I have quite a bit of upper body strength and like a tighter front end, any more rake and I'd be all over the road. I also have a Super Brace fork brace installed. Running down the road I find it tracks nice and straight with little to no input needed to keep it pointed where I want it to go. Cornering is great, this bugger turns into a corner a lot quicker than my former Triglide, I barely have to push the bar and its around the corner.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
One thing which took a little getting used to is the difference in the way a IRS feels through the corner vs a straight axle. The straight axle delivers more of the cornering forces to the rider where the IRS leans into the corner which tames some of that feeling like your going to be tossed off the trike.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
The wife, she's is happy as a clam in the back seat.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
The wider stance, IRS and the fact she isn't riding over the rear axle has made her ride a whole lot smoother.<br />
<br />
<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
Styling is great, I love the look of the Hannigan Gen 2 body design.

Last night the wife noticed a whole lot of people doing double takes as we road by. I don't think there are many Gen 2 Hannigans running around this area, especially with the whale tale which is quite large. I love the looks of the whale tale and the LED lights which I feel add to the rear visibility.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
This one is a keeper, the reliability and smooth power delivery of the GL1800 with Hannigans conversion makes one fine ride.

That's a beautiful trike.Love the 2-tone color combo you chose.
On the super slabs on long trips there isn't much to do anymore except makng sure you are going straight and taking a better look at the scenery.You do have to get on some back roads and twisties to get any kind of a work out and that's not work but fun.
Heck,I even like parking lots now.

You're going to like it even more as you get more miles on it. I got the small whale tail on mine, can't tell if you're is the small or large. Great color combo you have. Dis-able the anti dive valve for a smother ride in front and burn some gas through it. safe riding, Charley

That's a beautiful trike.Love the 2-tone color combo you chose.
On the super slabs on long trips there isn't much to do anymore except makng sure you are going straight and taking a better look at the scenery.You do have to get on some back roads and twisties to get any kind of a work out and that's not work but fun.
Heck,I even like parking lots now.

So far I've run a little mixed freeway and back roads. If the weather holds out I'm going to be running some more corners on Monday when my dad and I go for a ride to Warren Pa, he'll also get chance to ride the wing.

You're going to like it even more as you get more miles on it. I got the small whale tail on mine, can't tell if you're is the small or large. Great color combo you have. Dis-able the anti dive valve for a smother ride in front and burn some gas through it. safe riding, Charley

I have the large tail on mine, the anti dive will meet its maker sometime along the way. I'm looking forward to lots of miles and smiles.

Here are a few pictures of the new toy.

9b6t.jpg

x7hc.jpg

g1lq.jpg

pa8k.jpg

Boy! What a looker. The way it sounds you are mostly very happy with the Hannigan. Can't believe how great it looks, I have been eyeballing them on the Russelville Ark. Honda site. Congrats.

Boy! What a looker. The way it sounds you are mostly very happy with the Hannigan. Can't believe how great it looks, I have been eyeballing them on the Russelville Ark. Honda site. Congrats.

I'm happy with it, now its just a matter of tweaking the handling to my tastes. The tweaking is on the Honda end, the Hannigan end of things rides and feels just fine. It does get a lot of looks since there really are not many of them around this area, especially with the whale tale. The wife is tickled pink with the back seat ride, the other day she looked like a lizard just laying out on a rock sunning with a content look on her face.

The ride is pretty darn smooth, the only exception is the crummy Honda anti dive which as we all know makes the front end slam on most bumps. I'm going to give it a year and see if I still want to pull the front end apart and ship it off to a good friend for the complete Traxxion setup. Bumps hit with the rear are non issues, it just glides over them, I like the fact it doesn't rock side to side when going over tracks like a straight axle does.

Mike,

Your front end shouldn't slam. A couple of things you might want to check are: (1) is the Super Brace adding stiction? (2) Is the Anti-dive working correctly?

It is easy to check the anti-dive. Just temporarily disconnect it and take it for a short ride.

One of the main problems with the AD is that the brake system did not get bled properly.

BTW: It is a sharp looking rig.

Very nice Mike!!

What time you guys goin to Warren? I'll buy lunch if it ain't rainin......

Its looking like we're going to go Wednesday vs Monday since their calling for a warmer day. I'm figuring we would be leaving right around 9:00 if you want to go.

Mike,

Your front end shouldn't slam. A couple of things you might want to check are: (1) is the Super Brace adding stiction? (2) Is the Anti-dive working correctly?

It is easy to check the anti-dive. Just temporarily disconnect it and take it for a short ride.

One of the main problems with the AD is that the brake system did not get bled properly.

BTW: It is a sharp looking rig.

I guess I shouldn't call it a slam, its that Goldwing issue when you hit quick sharp bumps. The 05 I've ridden plus the rental 12 and mine all have done it. Mine has done it from day one before I installed the brace and it was 2 wheels. I believe the anti dive is working as it should because the front end gets stiffer when the front brake is applied. I did take great pains to make sure the brace has been installed properly, I followed their instructions to a tee.

I'm kind of Jonesing for a Traxxion AK-20 cartridge setup in the front forks and my friend who has done a bunch or them is just the guy to make it ride and handle even sweeter. He's going to be doing the AK-20 to my dads 09 Triglide this winter so next summer I'll see how it works with that. After reading some articles and checking around I'm very impressed with Traxxion products, their machine shop is clean enough you can eat off the floors.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png