portable gas can in trunk of trike

Who ever brought up Reda... tks. I did want something to put in the trunk that has no fumes or odor, approved by almost everybody and I have a container in the trunk to put it in so it doesn't fall over. J&P has it for $30, good investment. Huel

On long trips, where I don't know how well spaced gas stations are (or how late they're open), I carry a quart of gas in a spun aluminium bottle used by backpackers to carry cooking fuel. Mine's made by MSR and has an o-ring seal on the cap. I think it's a nice balance between have emergency gas with you and not taking up much space. At 30 MPG it's an extra 7.5 miles. I don't think I could push my rig one mile much less seven and a half.

Yesterday coming back fron a chapter picnic I had to stop for gas. I tried to make it home in another 10 miles, but the fuel gage said I had 8 miles to go on the fuel I had. The milage was 185 and I filled the tank with 5.24 gals.
Normally I fill up around 150 miles. To me it's a waste of time filling up every 100 miles. Canada is an exception since they are not like the states with a gas station on every block.

Also my Garmin Zumo can tell me where all the gas stations are. pepper

Dennis, thanks for the tip on the camping fuel bottle. I have one of those but never thought of using it. ThumbUp

Personnally I wouldn't carry extra gas. I do carry a syphon hose just it case. :)

Those Reda 1 gal. fuel cans are great. I carry one in my lower trunk and has never leaked or given off fumes. Gives you a little comfort. Got mine at Cycle-Giant $30.00 Have saved a couple of fellow riders that cut their mileage too close as well. Good insurance.

IMO carrying fuel in the trunk is a poor idea. My 2010 HD trike gets very good mileage and I plan my stops accordingly (normal 100 miles) and depending on my throttle wrist have gone many times 200 miles per tank. Even here out-west
that's plenty to get from point A to point B without worrying about fuel.
Note, love that Stage 2 in my 103!

I have a 2009 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 with a Champion trike kit on it. Just completed a 6,050 mile trip and frequently got 32-34 MPG riding 2 up and pulling a Hannigan trailer. I also carried a 2 gal. gas can on the tongue of the trailer, but never used it. My gas tank is 5.3 gallons, if you plan your trip based on 120 or so miles, between gas stations, you shouldn't have any problems. I never would have believed it, and our ride leader had to show me again and again, but we never ran out of gas.

Some info:
Trike weight dry - 1150 pounds.
Rider and passenger weight - 350 pounds.
Trailer weight - didn't weigh, but calculated it at about 350 pounds

Pushing 2000 pounds, average speed 62 MPH, 175.67 gallons, 6,050 miles = 34.4395742 MPG

Pictures of trike on the Dragon here: Xtreme Sports Photography at PhotoReflect.com - The Dragon July 13th, 2013 Saturday

I'm the trike in the rear with the trailer.

Normally I don't carry any extra fuel, and have never needed it for daily riding.

However, we did carry a 2 gallon container on our Alaska trip (and used it several times). It was bunged to the rack on the Tour-Pak. Never any problems. Although with it on there we had to be careful opening and closing the lid...never opening it all the way.

I would not be bothered for it to be in the trunk either...but if we are on any kind of a trip, guaranteed Mary will be using all the space in the trunk. lol

Just be advised if you do carry extra gas you should use it from time to time. Don't depend on it to always be fresh. Gas contains what is called "light ends" that have a tendency to evaporate over time. This produces stale gas, which doesn't always run as well as it should. I would empty the container every month or so and put in fresh gas just to be on the safe side.

My Ultra Classic motortrike with a 103 gets maybe 30 mpg now and then and I've almost run out of gas several times. Can you safely carry a gal of gas in the bottom trunk? I suppose it has to be vented somehow. Does anyone sell something like this! It runs good and sounds good with 91 octane. On the road, if I have to make a choice, think I would go for 87 octane rather then 91 with 10% ethanol just from listening to the motor.:xzqxz:

I've used the angled gas can for Baggers for five years and never had an issue. I plan to use it with the TriGlide on certain trips. Living west of the Mississippi River, there are plenty of places where one can get in trouble with gas stops. (Nevada & California's coast)

Ok, thanks, I like the outside container solution and have a fairly large space right next to the front of the rear fenders. When my gas light comes on, I'm suppose to have exactly one gallon of gas left which is about 26-30 miles. Any truth in this as I don't want to run out of gas just to prove it.

I wonder if you thought that through?
If you place the can at the front of the fender you expose it to engine heat and the gas has a tendency to expand under heat. (just sayin)

My friend has carried a 1 gal. gas can from harbor freight in his trunk for 50,000 miles with no ill effects.
Personally i haven't had the need, I do long trips and i can read a map telling me about distances, I have never ran out in 91,000 miles.

I wonder if you thought that through?
If you place the can at the front of the fender you expose it to engine heat and the gas has a tendency to expand under heat. (just sayin)

My friend has carried a 1 gal. gas can from harbor freight in his trunk for 50,000 miles with no ill effects.
Personally i haven't had the need, I do long trips and i can read a map telling me about distances, I have never ran out in 91,000 miles.

And I would guess that you call ahead to make sure they are still open, or not shut down for some reason? If a person might get off the freeway sometimes they find all sorts of oddities . Just say'in........
I like to do the 100mi or so stops also, but I have seen the need a couple of times for some extra juice in the tank to get to a pump. Some adventures call for unplanned roads & stops. Also things happen to towns that happen to only have one station. Usually only temporary, but I usually don't choose to wait for them to open. A gallon or two sure is nice !
Also to be able to help out someone that might have misjudged miles on their travels. Here's hoping you aren't ever in that position......

I have never had to use mine, I did run out 30 feet from the pump once. I feel sure it has saved me from getting an ulcer though. The piece of mind is worth all the cons someone may come up with. When I am in an unfamiliar place with my wife on the back!

One way to look at it. Carrying a gallon of gas in the trunk and get rear ended by a teenie bopper texting or yacking on the phone and you might get a chance to go down in a blaze of glory.

Yeah, it is flammable. But in the trunk inside a safety container seems to have a lot more protection from fire than that 6 gal gas can held between your legs, that is thin enough to bend with just a hard bump from your hand & sitting over the top of a great heat source in case of a leak or splash.
And they do rupture in accidents. Not all, but it does happen.
Just say'in.....................

So, I have a question/observation that I didn't once see brought up in all of this. Many of you mention if you're hit from behind, etc. Here's my "thoughts" on this. If you do have a "worst case" scenario, get hit, or have a mishap, fuel spilled, etc. Are you sure you're insurance would cover any damages as a result? I can see several "loopholes" that would allow your insurance company to deny any claim as a result and put you 100% out of pocket for any damages as a result.

Maybe it's just me, but the "piece of mind" for carrying the fuel isn't worth the thousands of dollars you could potentially pay out in damages. I would look for an approved "universal type" auxiliary fuel tank that's designed for such a purpose. This would prevent any possible liability on your behalf for carrying around a gasoline container in the back of your trike also. Can you tell that I've dealt with countless insurance companies in my job? haha

In July, my wife and I made a 6000mi. trip through the western states. I pulled a trailer behind my 2011 Tri-Glide. The trailer had a rack on the front for a large cooler, so I took a cooler and put 2 of the one gallon angled gas cans in it along with oil, cleaning supplies, and a few tools. Worked out great and was glad to have the extra gas as I had to use a gallon of gas before I found a gas station.

So, I have a question/observation that I didn't once see brought up in all of this. Many of you mention if you're hit from behind, etc. Here's my "thoughts" on this. If you do have a "worst case" scenario, get hit, or have a mishap, fuel spilled, etc. Are you sure you're insurance would cover any damages as a result? I can see several "loopholes" that would allow your insurance company to deny any claim as a result and put you 100% out of pocket for any damages as a result.

Maybe it's just me, but the "piece of mind" for carrying the fuel isn't worth the thousands of dollars you could potentially pay out in damages. I would look for an approved "universal type" auxiliary fuel tank that's designed for such a purpose. This would prevent any possible liability on your behalf for carrying around a gasoline container in the back of your trike also. Can you tell that I've dealt with countless insurance companies in my job? haha

If you do anything that Harley doesn't approve or install themselves can be termed as modification that isn't approved. The insurance co. would jump on that also. There are auxiliary fuel tanks that other trike conversions are using, these are installed when they do the conversion, but I haven't heard of any for the Tri Glide. Has anyone else ?

I don't think there will be any insurance issues. Myself I wouldn't want to waste the space to tote a gas can when I can stop every 100 miles, get gas and also give myself a reason to stretch and walk a spell. There has only been 2 times I've come close to running out of gas, both were my fault. I figure I have road side assistance for a reason, they can bring me a gallon of gas if I should need it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png