2014 TriGlide

Jun 16, 2013
Dallas, PA
Hello everyone, I just bought a 2014 Triglide and took it for a short ride to Devils Tower in Wyoming, I live in NE PA. This is my second trike, and it rides great. My concern is when I got home and washed the bike the rear fenders have 30 - 40 chips on each one, plus chips on the fairing and mars on the tour pack. Didn't ride any dirt roads just paved roads. Does this sound like normal damage due to road debris or is this excessive? Thanks everyone.

My 11 has those chips also, I do ride on a dirt road now and then.
That said, I don't worry about it' I ride in all kinds of weather all year and i'll let the next guy [When i sell it] Worry about it.
Just me , But a pristine bike is a unridden bike..
Back in the 50's/60's my old man would buy a new car and right out of the showroom have Rayco put plastic seat covers on, Then when he sold the car the next owner rip them off and have new seats' while we sat on uncomfortable plastic for years..

I hear ya Rhino, I put about 15,000 a yr on so I do ride. I'm just anal about certain things and my bikes are one of those things. I have a 2007 FLSTC with close to 40,000 miles and it doesn't have chips like this that's why I was asking.

I hear ya Rhino, I put about 15,000 a yr on so I do ride. I'm just anal about certain things and my bikes are one of those things. I have a 2007 FLSTC with close to 40,000 miles and it doesn't have chips like this that's why I was asking.

Yep, Those fenders stick out like Dumbos ears, And they tend to catch every stone. :gah:

My 11 has those chips also, I do ride on a dirt road now and then.
That said, I don't worry about it' I ride in all kinds of weather all year and i'll let the next guy [When i sell it] Worry about it.
Just me , But a pristine bike is a unridden bike..
Back in the 50's/60's my old man would buy a new car and right out of the showroom have Rayco put plastic seat covers on, Then when he sold the car the next owner rip them off and have new seats' while we sat on uncomfortable plastic for years..

Oh the memories ThumbUp

No bras for me. I do have the 3M clear film on mine though.
Just washed the bike yesterday since riding all summer and yes I do have a few nicks here and there - nothing to loose sleep over. The area where the film is had a bunch of bugs on it but they just wiped away.
When I was young I washed and waxed my car and bike every week. Too old for that now.

Like rhino said, I bought it to ride it not sit and admire it - well a little maybe.

Not paying $30K+ just to hide all that beautiful paint.

lol thanks guys for opening my eyes a bit. I don't let my bikes sit to admire them but like I said I am anal about them. I'm not a kid just a young 52, well getting old. I belong to a MC so I ride in all weather and all times of the year. Maybe I should just accept the fact that riding does wear on the bike and enjoy my riding. Hell I have 4500 miles on my 2014 in the first 3 weeks guess that's where the dings came from. Thanks for the comments.

Our '09 and '11 trikes have 'ride marks' on the fenders and faring. So does our Lincoln and Thunderbird. We never put a 'bra' on the Corvette or Porsche when we had them. When we get ready to sell the trikes, maybe we will get the fenders painted, maybe not. We ride year round in California, Arizona and Nevada. We feel bikes are to be ridden, not just admired.

The 3m film will protect the fenders, one of the 1st things I have installed on a trike. The rest is what it is. The 1st time I took my 2010 Triglide out to Deadwood and Strugis it cost me a windshield, mine looked like it was sandblasted by the time I got back, the 2nd trip with the Triglide it managed to pick up a bunch of small chips in the fairing. If your not wearing a full face helmet or riding with a face shield you'll notice little stings from time to time when passing a car or being passed. The stings are small pieces of rock from the rain grooves in the road being tossed by the passing car or trucks.

Another problem I have watched people do is get right up behind cars & trucks ready to pass. Every time the vehicle happens to touch anything in the road, guess what gets hit...........
I don't know how you ride, but you do have more areas to get chipped than a 2 wheeler ! So pass as far away from the vehicle as you can,& as fast as you can get around & don't tailgate ! You will pay for it in more than one way!
2 weeks ago a friend on a HOG ride got caught by a tread separation on a semi trailer going through Utah. The helmet & windshield took almost all the damage, But he has a good sized bruise on his neck. All kinds of crap fly from under cars & trucks !

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuele

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuele
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png