Trike Wobble

Feb 19, 2012
Denison, Texas, USA
I have a 2010 motortrike and recently i started getting a pretty severe wobble when I hit 80 or even at 70 if I hit a bump in the road.

It was really concerning me and was thinking maybe it was because I tried the the rear tire turned backwards on front, maybe it was my rake kit bad bearing or loose.

Well I was cleaning the trike and notice the rear tire treads looked a little thin, if it was on car probably go another 1000 or so on them but was getting ready to go on a long trip and decided to change them and now she rides as smooth as silk again.

By the way the trip we took was leaving Texas going into New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, back home through Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma.

Such a great Trip.

I have a 2010 motortrike and recently i started getting a pretty severe wobble when I hit 80 or even at 70 if I hit a bump in the road.

It was really concerning me and was thinking maybe it was because I tried the the rear tire turned backwards on front, maybe it was my rake kit bad bearing or loose.

Well I was cleaning the trike and notice the rear tire treads looked a little thin, if it was on car probably go another 1000 or so on them but was getting ready to go on a long trip and decided to change them and now she rides as smooth as silk again.

By the way the trip we took was leaving Texas going into New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, back home through Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma.

Such a great Trip.

I have a similar occasional front wheel shimmy in the 65-70 mph range. So far, excessive or not, I've checked (and adjusted) the balance of all 3 wheels w/o the tires, then with the tires, then to "cover all the bases", added the correct amount of balancing beads to all three. These wheels are "dead nuts" in balance. The front tire is a new BT45 and the rears were new with the 2012 MT Phoenix kit (about 7000 miles ago).

Also, from it's 2 wheel days, it has a "SuperBrace" on the forks, and the steering head torque was checked and verified. The shimmy occurrences have been greatly reduced, but if I hit a bump just right it sometimes wants to shimmy. It's not to the point I consider it dangerous, but it's annoying, riding along and wondering if and when it will happen again.

What did I miss? The only thing I can think of, is trying a different front tire, possibly an MPA, just to try something with a different tread pattern - any other suggestions? Anyone's input is appreciated.

I think I cured my wobble with centramatics on front and new Michelin tires. Got the Michelin Defenders (90K) tires on rear and Michelin on front with reverse rotation. No wobble is about 1500 miles so far. Guess you could say the jury is still out. Got my fingers crossed.

I can only speak for a 2 wheeler with front end wobbles or shimmy.
70% of the time its a cupped tire needing to be replaced.
30% worn or out of spec steering head bearings or torque out of kilter.<Loose triple tree head> Easy check lift front end off the ground.
If the bars flop side to side on its own. Tighten it up.

Warren, what are you running for pressures? I run 41psi front and 22psi rear.
Michelins all the way around..no bobble or shimming.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Warren, what are you running for pressures? I run 41psi front and 22psi rear.
Michelins all the way around..no bobble or shimming

Rosy, Same pressures I use. I am thinking of "playing around" a few lbs each way to see if it makes any difference. What do you think...? I also varied the air suspension in the 34-42 range - no particular change noted.

Thanks for you input. ThumbUp

My brother-in-law was told to run 72 psi on his shock pressure, so he wouldn't bottom out with two up. She loves the ride now, with he pressure up.
Have you noticed any bottoming out on yours Warren? Like when you go over a pot hole!
Like you said, keep trying different settings to see what helps.

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png