Holy smoke's

May 11, 2013
SUN CITY WEST. ARIZONA
Well I decided to change all the fluids in the 2006 Electra Glide. So I remembered in my last bike 10 yrs ago. I used Amsoil. So why not start off with this one also. It has the Harley syn oil in it now. So off I go looking for my oil & Chrome filter. After checking a few auto stores and coming up empty. I called a friend and asked hi where he gets his at. NAPA he says plus they have the K& N Chrome oil filter I want. But DAMN SAM! I forgot how much this *&^% co$Ts. 1 gal of 20 / 50 Amsoil & 1 filter $ 70.00 Geeeez us! I know its been 10 yrs since my last had a Harley But I didn't think the prices were going to hit me that hard! I didn't even get the other fluids yet:cxtv: Scared to see what that's going to co$t me! But I want to treat her right ! So I'll take the pain ThumbUp

Hey, Rick! I ran the Formula+ until recently. I switched everything over to Red Line products, and am very happy. The good stuff is not cheap, but it's good insurance...

RT, Sure does seem like a lot of money doesn't it??

I have a dealer account and I buy a gallon for $36 + tax and I sell it to my friends at my cost $40(I don't like making change).
Amsoil chrome filter at $16 and black for $13

I buy it by the 4 gal. case and save even more.
I suppose I could just use automotive oil like a lot of people here do and save a whole lot more($5/qt), but I want to use motorcycle specific oil.

I'm not in it for the money, just use a lot so it's cheaper for me to become a dealer then pay full retail. ThumbUp

Thanks MSOCKO3 , Rick & Gary. Yeah it's a bit co$tly. But your right it's good insurance. Plus I like the way my motor sounds and the more oil pressure I have with this oil. . Had my 95 & 98 engine built and turned for MORE HP. And I used this oil all the time. But it's been a long time since I was back into this. So sticker shock :D.. I'll buy the HD stuff for the trans & Primary. Even cross reference the HD plugs to autolite. I used them in my other bikes and they worked GREAT. Got to save some $ where you canThumbUp. Thanks Guys for taking the time to comment ThumbUp. Rick

If you change your oil often enough you don't need that expensive synthetic. Besides, it has been 40 yrs since I've heard of a bike engine failing because of bad oil. I put Castrol in the Trike, Harley regular in the Ultra. And I stopped changing the oil at 5000 since it was a waste of money. I know guys that spend 75 bucks on a oil change and STILL change everything out every 5000. They must have money to burn

Hi Fred. Yeah I'm not made of money. But I like the way the motor sounds when running and the added oil pressure I get by run Syn oil. I used to run Castrol 20/ 50 in my 1988 dresser. But then I started to get engine work done to my 95 & my 98 Bagger's . So that's when I started using better oils . Here's one for you. Talking about money to burn. When I lived in Michigan. There was this guy that hung around with us. Had a Fat Boy. He used to change his oil & filter beofre he took it in for service :gah:. We used get in to his s*** about throwing away money like that. The word DUMBASS come to be his nick name! When I used to take my Harley's to Az for the winter months. It could get a little warm down there even during the winter months. And sitting in traffic isn't any better then up here. And I always had good oil pressure. I seen guy push their bikes in rush hr traffic beacuse of low oil pressure. Oil cooler only works if your moving. Thanks for Sharing Fred ThumbUp

FRR, that's the point for using syn oil - you don't change as often - usually double. Which makes syn oil about the same price as dino, if not cheaper.
3000 miles 4@ $4/qt = $16 x 2 = $32 or
6000 miles 4@ $9/qt = $36 not much difference for using a better oil and saving $$$ on filters and saving the land fills from all that plastic....and less labor = means more riding time for me. ThumbUp
Your right about how many times you hear about an engine exploding from using ANY brand name oil of any kind that's changed at the recommended time. I don't remember ever hearing anything.
I also think it's crazy to change syn oil at the same interval as dino oil.

I still use H-D Formula+ in the primary and Amsoil Severe Gear 75/140 in the trans. Works for me.:D

GL 1800 Hannigan
Does anyone know if there is a difference between Amsoil and Shells Rotella T6?
I use the T6 in my Goldwing, is Harley's specs more stringent than Honda's?
Maybe it is preference on what oil to use as long as it meets your motorcycle's manufacturing specs.
I know Honda and Harley wants us to use their products, but some of us are not made out of money!

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png