How many reloaders

ebiss9

100+ Posts
Jan 11, 2013
Vineland, NJ USA
Just wondering how many folks reload their own ammo. With the high costs, low and out-of-stock inventories, I've found it somewhat bearable to weather these shortages by reloading. I still have a tough time locating various reloading components, i.e.: smokeless powders, primers and projectiles, but what you can't get from one vendor most often can be had from another. Initial cost for equipment is a little pricey, if purchased all at once, so I have added most through time. The cost of reloaded ammo only runs about 1/2 the cost or less compared to off the shelf. And, I'll be honest, it is a time consuming hobby but hey what else are you gonna' do during the winter months? This is also the only way to provide a supply of ammo for those unusual or discontinued calibers like the .41AE I have......Rob

I've been reloading for years, mostly pistol ammunition. I've got a progressive loader, so I can crank out some rounds, once it's set up. What I don't like are the material shortages... I keep a minimum inventory on hand, brass seems hard to get...

I use to reload my shotgun ammo when I was very active in Trap shooting. That was many, many years ago.

With retirement approaching, I just might get back into doing a little shooting again. Depending on how active I become, reloading also might start up. I always enjoyed the reloading process and just found it relaxing. I still have my 'Mec Grabber' reloader and all of the accessories along with a press for my 45-120 Sharps which is a real 'hoot' to shoot lol. :D

Time will tell,,,. ;)

I've been reloading for years, mostly pistol ammunition. I've got a progressive loader, so I can crank out some rounds, once it's set up. What I don't like are the material shortages... I keep a minimum inventory on hand, brass seems hard to get...

I have a single stage press and some powered equipment with most being RCBS. The only thing I find a little tricky is powder weight. The RCBS uniflo powder measure, I was using, was at the end of its ability to dispense consistent low end powder loads. I recently purchased a Harrell's Precision Schuetzen/Pistol Measure. It is highly accurate from 2-25 grains and well within the range of most my handgun calibers. I'll have to load 50 or so of each and test at the range. I'm still experimenting with different brands of smokeless powder so the jury is still out with what's best. Brass is the least of my shortages as most shooters, at the range, throw their brass away. The only calibers I do not find much of are .41AE and .50AE. I also have all the gear for reloading 50 BMG but don't possess the firearm......yet. As rmrc51 mentioned, it is quite relaxing. I just turn on some music and reload away. I will get so absorbed in it sometimes my wife will call from upstairs "are you coming to bed tonight or not"!! I don't hunt but love to target shoot as does my wife, daughters and most of the family............Rob

Reload single stage for 45 cal and 308 and the only thing I ever built out of wood that I didn't burn was my reloading bench. :laugh:

Picture079-2.jpg

Looking purty good. Put a shelving unit on the back of that bench and you made a lot more space happen. I hooked up a 12 volt motor from a mainframe computer (via rubber hose) to my case trimmer and power it with a 12 volt supply. Works great.

This fall I bought a RCBS reloading set and got a great deal. Amazon had a returned item that supposedly had a problem. So I got a pretty good discount there. Then i did find that there was a problem which RCBS took care of immediately, just by sending an email. Then on top of all that I got RCBS' rebate for spending over a certain amount of money. Can't beat that

I've been reloading since I was a teenager ( a long long time ago ) rifle, shotgun 12,20,28,410 and handgun. I really like to shoot rim fire but the 22 stuff is getting harder and harder to get up here. The price on line for the 22 stuff is not to bad but the shipping is out of sight.

Been reloading various pistol last 30 years + on Dillon; first a Square Deal & then on a RL550B last who knows how many yrs. Just got into .223 for the AR. Now that's a different operation altogether!! Made some laughable boo-boos :D But am learning again. Love it. Will post a pic of my loading area shortly

rcbs rock chucker supreme . (want to go to a progressive system.) lyman lub-o-matic sizer . cast bullets out of wheel weights and lyneotype lead mix. just a hobbie.
:)
make 45 colt, 45 auto, 40cal, 9mm , and .380.

have a new set of 30-30 dies and sold my 30-30. anybody interested will get a good deal.

- - - Updated - - -

once fired brass.com . good prices and most are in stock.

Equipment depends on how much you shoot and how much time you want to spend reloading. I shoot IPSC/USPSA pistol competitions so I shoot a lot of rounds a year. I would rather be shooting than reloading so for me the progressive loaders are the only way to go. In my opinion Dillon makes the best and has an awesome no BS warranty. I have a 550B and a Super 1050. they are both great machines.

It's true, a progressive loader will turn out mounds of ammo fast but the most time spent by far is in case preparation, unless you're using new brass. I use the single stage press because I consider each round made to be a masterpiece..........lol.........Rob

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png