bent front end

Oct 5, 2013
haslemere surrey uk
Hi
I have a mini 1275 trike and have no clue about the origin of the front end. However the other day I managed to hit a wooden post and ruin the alignment on the front end. With the front wheel true the handlebars are at roughly 2 o clock and rides not too well.obviously!!
However, with the handlebars in the true position the front wheel faces off to the left, however the top and bottom yokes look set true which they are not with the wheel true... looks odd!!
I have tried the loosen off everything and manually straighten things up, which seems to look good, but after fifty yards riding it all goes to hell.
Am I missing something simple or have I damaged the forks or any other part.
All advice greatly appreciated.
Greg

Sounds like you bent the forks. In your message you said you had loosen everything up and it looked straight and then you ride it and it back, are you sure you got everything tighten back? Maybe when you hit the post did it strip a bolt hole and it moves it the hole? There are so many thing it could be.:Shrug:

With no knowledge of the front fork you're working on, and no pictures, it's only a guess. The forks are usually the weak link in a minor run-into accident (don't ask how I know this. :gah:)

1) With the front wheel true (12:00 o'clock) the handlebars are at a right angle (2:00 o'clock)

2) with the handlebars in the true position (12:00 o'clock) the front wheel faces off to the left (10:00 o'clock)

3) top and bottom yokes (the upper and lower clamps) look true (12:00 o'clock) which they are "not with the wheel true"

As I read it, IF the upper and lower clamps ARE true, then the longest, weakest pieces are the front fork tubes, and the attaching hardware (axle.) The take-away from this whole exercise is: you have to take it apart to see what's bent. Even better, take it to a garage who knows the brand of motorcycle you're working on. The garage will likely have the odd spanner or clamp to take a front fork assembly apart, as well as the expertise to make an accurate assessment of the problem.

Good luck.

Being from the UK,sounds like you have a Mini Cooper 1275 car rear mated to some unknown type motorcycle front end.
I would search for any kind of numbers on that front end and do a computer search and see if it tells you what you have.
If the frame neck isn't bent,you may be able to find another motorcycle assembly and just replace it.

Thanks guys for all your help... thinking it is a japanese front end ?750 and the top of the left fork is obviously not "totally" straight.. so this would mess with the yokes
so here's for the strip down...
the mini engine was just turned around and away we go!!!
thanks again
Greg

hi Greg
sounds like a bent tube on your front end ...years ago me and my family would trill ride about every week end...my boys bent a lot of front ends I would disassemble and take to a local shop that had tubing bender dies .. we would use them, some wooden blocks and a press to straighten tubes...worked great if not bent to badly best of luck with yours...mike

Hi
I have managed (I hope!) to identify the front end of my trike... a suzuki GS550
1978-1984.The left front fork is bent and I am trying to straighten this... however if this is unsuccessful I wonder if anyone knows a different set that might fit the yokes.. if these are standard issue which i seriously doubt!!!
Cheers
Greg

I am wondering whether a suzuki gs550 L front end would fit an unknown gs550 model, the specs say the forks are 35mm but my existing ones are 37mm (of course), I have seen a complete front end with forks et al....I suppose the main consideration is the diameter of the centre "steering" assembly.... or do I need the padded cell again?!!

Sorry G-reg ~ I've never had, or even rode on a Suzuki, so I'm in uncharted waters here :xzqxz:

I *THINK* you should heed my 2nd post: "Even better, take it to a garage who knows the brand of motorcycle you're working on.

Maybe there's a Suzuki dealer nearby, who recognizes the fork bits on you machine.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png