GW Trike Engine Oil Over-Filled

Sep 3, 2010
Lakeville, MN
Just purchased a 2007 1800GW Trike with 3900 miles on it. The owner changed the engine oil (to Amsoil) just before I picked it up. We drove it from Ohio to Minnesota (825 Miles). Just checked the oil level and to me it looks way over filled, but never delt with a GW before. The level is past the center hash mark and all the way to the top of the flat section of the dip stick. FYI - I did not screw the dipstick in to gain a reading, but engine was hot. My question is would that amount of overfill of oil cause any issues? Should I leave it or drain and refill to correct level?

The level is supposed to be checked COLD with the dip stick NOT screwed in. Check in the morning BEFORE you start riding. I have been using AMSOIL since the third oil change and have not had any problems. (61000 miles) When changing oil & filter, let the oil drain for half hour. Put in THREE quarts then a partial quart and check the level. then add to FULL mark.

Thanks, I'll recheck-it tomorrow when it is cold. If it is still over-full, will drain it back down to the full mark. Can't see wasting the existing oil in bike now with only 1K miles on it. Yes, I am glad the prevoius owner used Amsoil, have used Amsoil "Interceptor" in my snowmobiles many years - always kept them running great.

Thanks, I'll recheck-it tomorrow when it is cold. If it is still over-full, will drain it back down to the full mark. Can't see wasting the existing oil in bike now with only 1K miles on it. Yes, I am glad the prevoius owner used Amsoil, have used Amsoil "Interceptor" in my snowmobiles many years - always kept them running great.

If you don't want to mess with draining you could get a turkey baster and some tygon tubing and suck it out with the baster. I've done this before when a Harley dealers tech stuck his head in his back side and over filled a bike at the 1,000 mile service.

Check your owners manual first, but, I'm sure you want to have the bike level, not on the side stand, when reading the dipstick too. (If you aren't already). This can make a difference as well.
;)

The oil is not supposed to be checked cold. Honda's manual says to run it for, I think, five minutes then shut it down for two to three minutes and check it. It should show between the two marks.

Check your owners manual first, but, I'm sure you want to have the bike level, not on the side stand, when reading the dipstick too. (If you aren't already). This can make a difference as well.
;)

:gah:Kind of hard to put a TRIKE on a SIDESTAND.:wave4:ThumbUp

Just purchased a 2007 1800GW Trike with 3900 miles on it. The owner changed the engine oil (to Amsoil) just before I picked it up. We drove it from Ohio to Minnesota (825 Miles). Just checked the oil level and to me it looks way over filled, but never delt with a GW before. The level is past the center hash mark and all the way to the top of the flat section of the dip stick. FYI - I did not screw the dipstick in to gain a reading, but engine was hot. My question is would that amount of overfill of oil cause any issues? Should I leave it or drain and refill to correct level?

You are fine......The first time you change your oil, drain the oil,change the filter, put in 4 qts of whatever oil you like, and don't worry about it. They take 4 qts.

Careful about the tubing/baster idea. Several stories of people losing short pieces of tubing into the engine when they catch it on the side of the dip tube hole.

Careful about the tubing/baster idea. Several stories of people losing short pieces of tubing into the engine when they catch it on the side of the dip tube hole.

You have to have long enough tubing that you can hand on to it while you suck it out, you also have to make sure you get one that fits tight.

Having riden it 825 miles with it severly overfilled, could I have done any damage to the engine (seals, gaskets, ect...). Just don't know how sensitive GW 1800's are to this.

Should have checked the oil level when I picked it up, but I diden't - Live and learn! :gah:

for a cpl of $$ get a drill mounted pump.. tubeing on both sides, stick one in and suck out the oil..but, I like to use the drain plug, get more of the crud out IMO

Yeah, it's a pain to get under the bike, especially if you're in your 80's, but you're going to have to do that anyway to change the filter, so why would you ever suck it out of a tube? Surely no one is going to leave that dirty filter in place??? :gah::gah:

Having riden it 825 miles with it severly overfilled, could I have done any damage to the engine (seals, gaskets, ect...). Just don't know how sensitive GW 1800's are to this.

Should have checked the oil level when I picked it up, but I diden't - Live and learn! :gah:

I don't think it hurt anything, it may have caused more oil to be carried over into the air cleaner than normal which you can drain out of that tube on the left side.

Thanks, I will check the crankcase breather tube and empty if needed. I decided to pull the plug and drained some out then add new back in until reached the proper fill level. Should be good now. She's only got 4500 miles on her, so like brand new.

The book calls for 3.9 quarts I figure the .1 of a quart about 3.2 ounces out of a 128 ounces stays on the side of the gallon bottle so I just pour it in and forget about it.
Some one would really have to go out of their way to over fill a Gold wing.
Ride safe.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png