Transmission Noise?

Just wondering if anyone out there has had this problem. I have a grinding sound when started cold lets up as it gets warmer but is always there. Took it to my nearest Honda dealer "where" I bought it and he said it was transmission spline noise and common on some Goldwings. Had a reg 2012 Goldwing with 43,000 miles and not near as noisey as this 2010 trike with 16,000 mile. Bike shifts great and runs great just not real happy with the noise. Any ideas. Thanks in Advance.

Hmmmmm....My 06 GW makes kind of a rumbling sound until it warms up but then it is gone....been told the same thing...don't worry about it....I am not much help but I feel your pain!

Hmmmmm....My 06 GW makes kind of a rumbling sound until it warms up but then it is gone....been told the same thing...don't worry about it....I am not much help but I feel your pain!

Thanks for the come back at least I know I'm not alone in this, what you described sounds like what I am hearing. Ride safe my friend.

My guess is a thing we call tolerance stack. That is, gears and shafting have dimensional tolerance call outs that state the allowable variations in dimensions when being manufactured So if, back lash on gears is called out to be 0.003" +/- 0.001" you could end up with either 0.002" or 0.004" back lash per gear and still be within the manufactures tolerance. This is true with shaft and spline clearances as well. In a transmission that has several components in series, tolerance stack up can allow one transmission to be tighter than the next one and both be well within the design tolerance. When the transmission comes up to temperature components expand and have a tendency quiet down. I wish our bikes had higher quality gears but then we may not like the additional cost. All in all they do pretty well. We hear the term tolerance confused with clearance a lot, again tolerance refers to dimensional allowables and tight tolerances differs from tight clearances.

I hope this helps.

My guess is a thing we call tolerance stack. That is, gears and shafting have dimensional tolerance call outs that state the allowable variations in dimensions when being manufactured So if, back lash on gears is called out to be 0.003" +/- 0.001" you could end up with either 0.002" or 0.004" back lash per gear and still be within the manufactures tolerance. This is true with shaft and spline clearances as well. In a transmission that has several components in series, tolerance stack up can allow one transmission to be tighter than the next one and both be well within the design tolerance. When the transmission comes up to temperature components expand and have a tendency quiet down. I wish our bikes had higher quality gears but then we may not like the additional cost. All in all they do pretty well. We hear the term tolerance confused with clearance a lot, again tolerance refers to dimensional allowables and tight tolerances differs from tight clearances.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the information, this pretty much is what the service manager told me you just explained it better. Ride Safe.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png