2010 Triglide hotter than HE77?

Jul 28, 2009
Ohio/Texas
got a '10 Triglide on order.HD added cat's this year?Some are saying it is unbelievably HOT.There is no legal solution?

Can any 2010 owners confirm or deny the excessive heat issue?

I'm kinda leary to spend another $3000 on a $35000 bike to cool it down so it's not a pizza oven.

any thoughts are appreciated

Wolfshead1, I don't know if they are any hotter than the 09, but what you say is correct about the cat exhaust pipe. As of right now the issue is that they also changed the O2's to a 4wire O2 and the technology to by pass them has not been done. Until that happens they have to stay in the ecm circuit. Thus giving you few options on cooling the bike down from the way it comes. I would still suggest the purchase if that is what you want and wait to make the performance chages when the time comes for the parts.

Tmigala thanks for your reply.I have been reading and talking to one owner who has the 10 triglide while his dad has an 09 which is also warm to ride.The'10 according to this guy puts the temp of his jeans on the right side above 140 degrees.He's a gear head and he says there is not a way to reduce it because of the cat. and Epa.Harley says the heat is within the norms.

My Ultra.2007 is hot even after spending thousands on tru duals and stage 1 setup.I am not going to spend $35K on a trike and have to do the same just to ride it without getting 1st degree burns.

thanks for listening,
wolfshead1

Jamie at Fuel Moto took a temp gun and found it to be 100 degrees hotter on the 2010's.
I believe he is working on a new head pipe (without cat) for them.
I also have a 2007 Ultra and I have the older versions of the S.E. pipes
along with a hiflow A/C and PC3 from fuel moto. I also have the HD premium
oil cooler, the no fry thighs (air scoops by your thighs), the fairing air deflectors and
when it gets above 85 degrees and riding in stop and go traffic it still hits 250+ degrees.
Luckily we live in the Northeast where the weather God's have taken our
Summer's away .... LOL ..... I think we had only 4 days of 90+ heat all
this Summer and last Summer.
We also are fortunate to live on the MA/NH border were all the roads we
ride on are VERY rural and hardly any traffic ;-)
By the time Lynn gets her TG (end of Oct) she will WELCOME all the extra
heat it will throw off ... LOL ...
Rob .....

Last edited:
The 10's are hot and the solutions are not easy to come by right now. My 10 is a burner for sure. I'm the guy with the 140 degree pant leg. My dad road my 10 and wanted off, his 09 is not even close to being as warm as my 10. I've gone as far with the Moco as they will go. The last go around with customer service resulted in the guy saying its running within its designed temps so they can't help me. Of course I told him that was all fine and well except while its running according to design it's cooking the rider. I have come to a crossroads on what to do, 1 sell it or 2 fix it and enjoy it because except for the heat I like it. So I decided to fix it and started with the SEST because the customer service rep said it won't impact my warranty unless they can prove it caused the failure. The down side is I have to be careful on how much fuel I add because the cat will run warmer and if I get carried away it can plug up. So my next option is ditch the cat which is a tough fix right now.

I've been looking at the head pipes from Fulemoto but have come across a snag. They fit the Touring bikes and the head pipes on the Triglide are not the same, they are longer going to the right side muffler. So I need to call Fulemoto sometime and see what they can do and also look to see if I could have a extension pipe made if need be. Or get a head pipe for a non catalyst equipped 09 and tig weld on some bungs. The problem is locating the O2 sensors so there is no chance of cross talk. I'm also starting to look at putting a set of 255 cams in to pep it up more on the bottom end. I figure if I have the exhaust off I may as well crack into the cam chest while its apart. My only concern with the 255's is the higher CCP they bring to the table when put in a 103. I'm concerned it could be a ping monster when I travel out west where the fuel quality can sometimes be marginal compared to what I can get here in the East.

I see the problem as having 2 angles. If you want to maintain the warranty then you are out of luck for right now. You have the cat to deal with and the ECM with the new "o2's". If like me you don't care about the warranty then I would modify the exhaust to either true duals to the TRI-Glide exhaust, add a good cam, add a power commander then the only issue left is how to deal with the new "o2's". I'm sure PC will come along with some eliminators soon for them.

got a '10 Triglide on order.HD added cat's this year?Some are saying it is unbelievably HOT.There is no legal solution?

Can any 2010 owners confirm or deny the excessive heat issue?

I'm kinda leary to spend another $3000 on a $35000 bike to cool it down so it's not a pizza oven.

any thoughts are appreciated

Perhaps you can still get an '09. If I had heard all of the complaints about the 09 before I got one, not sure I would have. But it has been worth every penny to me and I love my TG. Most of the complaints on these trikes you will find the same complaints on the Can Am Spyders and other new HD bikes. Everyone has their own level of tolerance and their own methods of dealing with issues. I just go with the flow, do what I can to protect my leg (my 09 burned a red mark in my leg) and keep on trucking. The only thing that really worries me is the high oil temps. I would think the engine would be under warranty if it blows due to their emission controls. I have the 5 yr. extended warranty also, which I would highly recommend getting, to anyone considering purchasing the newer HD's.

I see the problem as having 2 angles. If you want to maintain the warranty then you are out of luck for right now. You have the cat to deal with and the ECM with the new "o2's". If like me you don't care about the warranty then I would modify the exhaust to either true duals to the TRI-Glide exhaust, add a good cam, add a power commander then the only issue left is how to deal with the new "o2's". I'm sure PC will come along with some eliminators soon for them.

I said heck with the warranty when my 06 Ultra was new. I went with a Head Quarters touring build, the bikes a hoot to ride and I wouldn't think twice about getting on it and doing a 3,000 mile trip. The Trike I'm trying to walk the warranty tight rope with the Trike. I bought the SEST and have uploaded a slightly richer map but I know I have to use care while I have the cat on board. So now I'm on a mission to kill the cat:eek: and get it the way it should have been from the factory.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockin Rob

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockin Rob
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png