2014 Clutch Recall

Aug 15, 2013
Nashville, TN USA
Harley-Davidson recalls some '14 motorcycles

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Harley-Davidson is voluntarily recalling some 2014 motorcycle models because of a possible safety issue.

The Milwaukee-based company says the recall of about 29,000 bikes includes a "Do Not Ride" notice to owners and a "Do Not Deliver" notice to dealers until the motorcycle is fixed.

Harley-Davidson says the hydraulic clutch system in some of the motorcycles might not disengage the clutch, making it hard to slow or stop.

Owners of affected motorcycles should arrange an inspection with an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer. The dealer will pick up, inspect and make the repairs at no cost.

The recalls affect Touring motorcycles models FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHTKSE and FLHRSE, plus Softail CVOs and Trikes, models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE, built between May 3, 2013, and Oct. 14, 2013.

Read more at Harley-Davidson recalls some '14 motorcycles

It's on the main page of their site as well.

H-D News | Harley-Davidson USA

There will be one more that will be coming soon. Seems the 14 water cooled bikes that are puking tosses anti-freeze on the back wheel. Not sure what the fix will be but there will be an announcement on that as well. They are facing litigation over this.

The next one after that will be for upgrading the ECM. (I can't say any more about this one) Look for it to fix many issues within their code.

Well it looks like the first model year bugs are starting to appear on the 2014's.
Sounds like about 3 so far.
Clutch
Steering head dropping
Puking coolant
Oh and not a safety issue but some people are also having issues with the radio, Bluetooth, GPS, touch screen systems. (lack for a better word, the new radio communications system).
I hate to see things like this happen and was hopping it wouldn't with the new 14's. But it's started. Wonder what else will surface. And they have only been out 2 months.
Well lets just hope these and any other problems will be resolved quickly.
Dan

Evidently there are two recalls for clutch related issues, the other is for clutch release plates.

Yeah, it sucks to deal with these recalls but in the bigger picture, I know my Trike will be the better for it in the long run.
I've been in the automobile business for a long time so I'm used to this kind of thing. ;)

Unfortunately it seams like it really doesn't matter what one drives there seams there are recalls on most vehicles. I can't remember what it was right now but there was 1 recall on my 11.
Back in April we received a recall on my wifes 10 Malibu. It said the shifter had to be repaired or it could break. We took it in and they repaired the shifter. 2 months later the shifter broke.
We did think that was funny. Drove it for 3 years with no troubles. Took it in for the recall to have the shifter repaired. They repaired the shifter. 2 months later the shifter broke.
Well I guess the good side of the HD recalls is that they seam to be addressing the issues at this point.
Dan

Called dealer today parts of recall will not be shipped from the factory until 10/21/2013. They said will send truck out to pick up the trike as soon as the parts arrive. These things are a PITA but it is part of life. Sure it is a vendor problem recall starts May 2013 there were no 14's delivered then. Over all this is the best Harley I have ever owned.

Boy! am I glad I decided to wait until April to buy one.
Thanks guys for finding the bugs for us late bloomers so that we can buy a trouble free bike come spring. :gah: pepper ThumbUp :Trike1: :laugh:

So much for "Years In Development" crap. Were they all stoned all those years?
I know the paint color department was stoned. :gah:

Harley could get rid of most of their bugs if only they did the obvious....Give me a test model before the release. I guarantee I will find any problems.

What's funny is... HD has a group of testers. They pull a bike off the line and give it a going over, ride it and eyeball it. At the end of the day they will put stickies all over each bike and put them in the cafeteria for all to see.

Old rumor was if your bike came from HD with about 50 miles on it, buy it. It went through the factory testers before shipping.

My dealer called this morning to inform me of the recall. They have not seen the actual service bulletin yet, but should get it and repair kits next week. He said they had about 12-14 bikes they had sold that had the recall. They haven't seen any bikes that actually had a clutch failure. They will pick up my trike as soon as they have the parts.

Last edited:
Just heard of one more...

All TG's are to have the new assist and slip clutch assembly for 2014. This was introduced to the 2013 CVO Touring bikes. Not talking about the hydraulic clutch lever system on the handlebars, this is different.

Seems there was a mistake at the factory where some of the 2014 trikes have the older style clutch installed instead of the assist and slip assembly. The old style has 6 10mm bolts holding a retainer ring over the spring diaphragm just like all the Big Twin bikes from 1998.

The new assist and slip assembly has 3 bolts holding a plate which compresses 3 compression springs. (see pictures)

If you remove your derby cover you will see the different jump right out at you. During your Stop, Don't Ride recall your dealer will inspect for this and change your clutch assembly.

Here is what the normal spring retainer looks like under the derby cover.

5uyh.jpg

This is what the assist and slip looks like. (Don't have a better picture)

hokz.jpg

yqz1.jpg

Just checked mine and have the correct clutch. If this works here is what it looks like. What is the torque for the derby cover?

Just checked mine and have the correct clutch. If this works here is what it looks like. What is the torque for the derby cover?

Thanks for taking that pic. It worked just fine.

Clutch inspection cover screws 84-108 in-lbs (5-7 lbs)

Be sure to use anti-seize on the threads. If you don't have any take a bar of soap and scrape the threads on the bar. There needs to be a non-oxidizing material on the screws before you reinstall them.

Just got back from dropping my TriGlide off at the selling dealer. I figured I would go ahead and get the 1K (has about 600 miles) out of the way and get a jump on all those that are going to have their bikes picked up for the recall.

Found out that the build date was 9/4 so I missed the fork bracket issue that was for build dates up to 9/2. The service manager checked that right away.

They didn't know as much about this recall as what Mr.Wizard has been able to inform us of here. Thank you for that Mr.Wizard! Service manager stated that they are supposed to receive parts etc. (the week of) 10/21. So my garage will look a little empty for a week or so. Just wondering how long before the next "Do Not Ride" recall will be? (Coolant pukes)

Just left my dealer. My trike is on the truck and should get here (there) before the end of the day today. I assume that they will take care of any and all recalls before they send me on my way with my new TG tomorrow. I would hate to ride home tomorrow and then have them call me to bring it back to fix it.

Drove my 2014 trike down to the dealer this morning to check into scheduling my 1,000 mile service and they told me about the recall sent out last night. Said I couldn't drive it home and would have to leave it.:gah::gah: Of course it had to be a sunny day and in the 70's. Not to many of those left in the future for us here in New England!! Tried to have them give me a loaner, but they said no way as there were too many 2014's out there. You could here the service advisors in the backround calling customers asking when they could pick up their bikes. Like others have said, parts won't be in until next week.... At least they were nice enough to give me a ride back home, about 30 miles one way!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png