Amsoil in a GL 1500????

Would it be safe to use Amsoil in a GL 1500. I know they say to use GN 4 without Moly, so would the Amsoil be a bad idea?

I have run AMSOIL in my GL1800s since 2001. You bet that GL1500 will just love it. I ran GN4 (the original non moly version) for a couple oil changes then switched to AMSOIL full synthetic. The cost it a bit higher but I think the oil is that much better too...

Would it be safe to use Amsoil in a GL 1500. I know they say to use GN 4 without Moly, so would the Amsoil be a bad idea?

I did in my Valkyrie.
I don't know why or who says no molly??
Molly is good for valves.
Especially in an older engine.
Other then that.
Oils oil nothing wrong with Amsoil, one of the best as oil goes due to its molly content.

I did in my Valkyrie.
I don't know why or who says no molly??
Molly is good for valves.
Especially in an older engine.
Other then that.
Oils oil nothing wrong with Amsoil, one of the best as oil goes due to its molly content.

Howdy Jay. I was told the reason for the "no moly" (at least in the GL1800 engine) is because some of the return oil ports as so small the moly clogs them up. I expect that might also be a possibility with the GL1500...

Howdy Jay. I was told the reason for the "no moly" (at least in the GL1800 engine) is because some of the return oil ports as so small the moly clogs them up. I expect that might also be a possibility with the GL1500...

That sounds like a valid point.
Not something I had taken into consideration at the time though.
A good friend of mine is an Amsoil dealer and when I got the Wing.
I asked him which oil Amsoil suggests for the 2010 GoldWing and he sent me a case of 10w30.
If they had had a reported problem.
Im sure he would have advised me differently.
As to the 1500.
I used everything and anything that had no friction modifiers in it while rebuilding my 99 Valk.
I used 4 gallons of oil before it even left my garage.
Ending up with a gallon of Wally World 20w-50 in it when I sold it in August.

I had been told that molly was being removed from most oils for newer cars as it wasn't needed.
Never knowing why besides the EPA wanting it that way.
For most older engines and V-Twins. One wants as much molly as is possible.
So right or wrong I figured a multivalve engine such as the GW and Valkyrie.
1500 or 1800 would benefit from a higher molly content.

Now you have given me some food for thought.
I do intend now after a year to keep the Wing till its wheels fall off.
Not at all as I felt about it a year ago when I thought Id unload it in a few weeks.

I have Amsoil in my 1500 - I have no idea what "grade" it is, but it's the full synthetic, expensive stuff. It was recommended by my local "bike guru". I could immediately notice a difference in how smooth the clutch engages and figured if it was that good with the clutch, it must be equally good for the rest of the engine. Maybe not a "scientific analysis", but I'm happy...

Thanks for the reply about Amsoil in your 1500, how long have you been running it in the 1500, or I should say about how many miles? Thanks, Colorado Con

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png