V&H Header Install

Aug 3, 2013
CedarRapids,Iowa USA
Looking for someone to advise me on my Vance & Hines header install on my 2013 Anniversary Trike. I am getting ready to pull it off and start over for the 4th time. Each time it goes really decent, until I get ready to install the cross over pipe. I haven't found an adjustment (sweet spot) so that it isn't tight against the oil pan. I have retraced steps in instructions and each time when I tighten everything up, I am tight against the pan. I realize there isn't much clearance, but I need to loosen the flange nuts just to get the clamp on the pipe. I can't think the pipe was welded in the jig incorrectly; I have to be missing something. I have tried leaving out the bolt in the bracket that replaced the stock bracket and it still hits when I tighten the flange nuts. I'm about ready to toss the header and take the grinder to the stock pipe to ride the catalytic converter. HELP!!!! Thanks, Bear

I have the same header. Give me about 1 hour and I'll take some picks of my install. Don't recall the dealership having a problem with the crossover pipe, but it is the one that was supplied by V & H and not the stock crossover. You are using the one that came with your Headers?

Yes, it is actually the header hitting before I put the crossover in it. It is so tight I can't get the Torca Clamp around the pipe. The heat shield doesn't fit very well either. It is off right now.

zbear, it is important that you install the headers, header extensions and the mufflers very loose until you have everything lined up. I would suggest you double check how you have the support bracket for the headers mounted and then as it is connected to the header. Looking at my install the header is not close to the oil pan at all which leads me to believe that you have the support bracket installed or attached incorrectly.

You are correct on the bracket staying loose during construction of the pipes. Its what my mechanic said about my V&H pipes and exhaust also. just puttin in my voice on the subject since it is another "bear" involved. tbearThumbUp

Tomorrow I am going to loosen up the flange nuts and transmission bracket. Then wait until I get my hands on the mufflers I hope to use. A guy I know supposedly has a nice pair of V&H slash cuts off a bagger he will part with. That is the reason I only purchased header and "S" pipes. I figure the mufflers are hidden and no use spending a bunch of money on mufflers that aren't seen before I decide how loud I want to go. I just wanted to get a jump on things since I can't go in to work and am tired of waxing. I will just wait on that part of the winter project until I can mock up everything and then start tightening.

From Mr Wizard in another "Not enough power" thread

When a exhaust system is taken off a bike and a new one or the old one reinstalled it could be in a bind. This bind will transmit vibrations to the frame and floorboards.

There is a proper procedure to tighten things up. Such as, if you tighten the exhaust port bracket to the head before aligning the rear pipes and mufflers the exhaust system will not be in a happy place. This puts things in a bind like a solid motor mount. The engine sends vibrations to the frame.

Install the exhaust system loosely. Install all bolts but to not tighten. Shake the exhaust system and let it find its sweet spot where it will rest. Check the front exhaust pipe and make sure it doesn't hit the rear hinge of the back brake peddle. Starting with the muffler hangers tighten the top bolts. Go to the heads and start to snug them up. Work you way to the center cross over and snug the cross over bracket behind the tranny. Shake the exhaust system again making sure it is still in its happy place. Go back to the heads and snug them up to specs. Finish tightening the mufflers then finish off the cross over... the very last thing you do is tighten the bolt under the tranny cover. This will insure you have little to no vibration from the motor going through the exhaust.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png