How much have you spent on accessories?

Jul 24, 2013
Gilbert AZ
I bought a new 2013 Harley sportster trike in July. I've ridden a lot of bikes but it is my first trike and my first Harley. It's a great ride and a lot of fun to be on the road but I'm finding out Harley accessories cost a ton of cash. $500 for a seat, $500 for pipes, $500 for this, $300 for that. WOW!

I'm just curious, How much other people have spent customizing their trike and what have you changed to make it 'yours' and one of a kind?
Thanks ,

Vinnie

I bought a new 2013 Harley sportster trike in July. I've ridden a lot of bikes but it is my first trike and my first Harley. It's a great ride and a lot of fun to be on the road but I'm finding out Harley accessories cost a ton of cash. $500 for a seat, $500 for pipes, $500 for this, $300 for that. WOW!

I'm just curious, How much other people have spent customizing their trike and what have you changed to make it 'yours' and one of a kind?

Thanks ,

Vinnie

You need to watch for a lot of used parts that doesn't make a difference new or used. Find one without any damage for much less $$$. I bought a pair of V&H monster rounds with under 200mi for $250. Not a scratch nor were they even dirty on the inside.

About $225 for a Road Zeppelin seat like new. Even with those cheapo's I have spent around $3000 in extras.

It is much the same for all upper end motorcycles, no matter what brand. If it fits a motorcycle the price is at least double, usually more !

Paint $5,000 chrome $3,000 radio accessories $600 , windshield $400 motor mods $0

Geez, where does a person start. I swore up and down I wasn't going to spend the money on the trike that I did on my '94 bagger since I bought it new. I put the trike on my HD Visa card. That netted me $1250 in chrome cash which I spent right away. Then another $1100 in header, tuner, and breather. I have a want list on my computer. The trike has far surpassed what I paid for my house 25 years ago. No wonder when I walk into the dealer, they pull me up a stool at the parts counter.

Well I bought my 2011 Tri Glide new May 16, 2011. Since then I've spent about $8,000 on the goodies.
HD does not stand for Harley Davidson. It stands for hundred dollars.
Dan

When I got my first Harley, I could barely afford the bike, and customizing came as money permitted. So, my '87 FLST has been an ongoing project, which is still getting upgrades. That was my sensible approach...the trike was another story. I spent the bulk of the money on the trike when I had it converted. Above and beyond the kit and installation, I spent another $5000 on engine work and customized parts, and I've still got a list of things I'd like to do. It just never ends...such a tough problem to have! ;)

I've always spend way more than I should have. I've found it easy to buy extras when I don't have labor to pay for on the install.

I spend more on gas, food and motel rooms to ride. Best add on are miles and seat time. Yes we all spend to much on our bikes but also get more back than money spent, at least I feel it is worth twice the price.
Dennis

One of the reasons we got our current trike was that it had almost all the accessories (and then some) we would have installed anyway. Sat down in the garage with a few catalogs, Kuryakyn, Show Chrome & Add-On, and it took less than an hour to get up to $5800 that the previous owner put on. We have added some lights, a seat and a bunch of other stuff. Plus there is the Harley - after 23 years I have got it just how I want it.
HD may stand for Hundred Dollars, but I've said before it's a Goldwing because your Gold will take Wing.

I've been on Harleys for close to 49 years. For the past 20 years or so I have not received a actual gift from anyone for my birthday, Christmas or any other day that requires someone to get me a gift. What I do get is gift cards to the Harley shop from everyone that is in any way, shape, or form related to me. I've spent every dime of it plus plenty of my own cash. I have no idea how much I put into each individual bike, but I'd guess I probably average maybe 3-4K or so per bike changing stock for something else. I've yet to keep a stock seat, or pipes, or cam. I only had 1 where I kept the stock bars. Intake always. Don't go wild with chrome, but I'v been known to put a little jewelry on my bikes. Billet mirrors, nice foot pegs, grips, LED signals and brake, maybe axel nut covers, and those kinds of things. I've been known to increase the cubic inches of whatever I had to. Basically, the mods never seem to stop. The mods taper off after some point where there isn't much of anything I don't like or want to change. Then something new comes along I like better.

After we dropped a fortune on paint and chrome on the '92 Springer and '95 Sportie we kind of cooled it with bling. We did change the pegs / floor boards on her Deluxe and my Ultra. Her Nightrain and my Dyna were pretty near stock. Our trikes are pretty nearly stock with the exception of stage 1 kits for both.

Attachments

• Picture 854.jpg
    Picture 854.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 105
When I had my 2007 Sportster a couple of years ago I figure I had about 3K in goodies. The bike had 4,000 miles when I bought it and paid $4,000. Sold it last year for $7,800. I somewhat broke even but the main thing was I enjoyed the ride and all the extras I had put on.

After we dropped a fortune on paint and chrome on the '92 Springer and '95 Sportie we kind of cooled it with bling. We did change the pegs / floor boards on her Deluxe and my Ultra. Her Nightrain and my Dyna were pretty near stock. Our trikes are pretty nearly stock with the exception of stage 1 kits for both.

Nice pair! Love the paint on both!

Nice pair! Love the paint on both!

Thanks, we still have the Sportie, it was wife's first Harley and she will not let it go even though she can't ride it. I take it out to breakfast a couple times a month just to keep the oil circulating. Hard to tell from the pictures, but we had the spoke mags polished, and the cases and the barrels. I can set off car alarms a block away with the Python exhaust

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png