Best Way to Jack-up a Trike

Sep 3, 2010
Lakeville, MN
I have a 2007 GW Trike with a Champion Solid Axle kit and was wondering what is the best to jack it up off the floor without messing something up so I can inspect and/or perform maintenence. How do you do it and what should I watch out for?

I have a 2003 Goldwing Champion trike. Anytime I would change the oil, I will take the floor jack, place it under dead center of the trailer hitch, and lift one rear wheel just off the ground. This gives you just enough room to place a oil pan underneath the oil drain area, plus you can turn the left rear wheel so the driveshaft can be greased. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem.

Ride safe.

I have a 2003 Goldwing Champion trike. Anytime I would change the oil, I will take the floor jack, place it under dead center of the trailer hitch, and lift one rear wheel just off the ground. This gives you just enough room to place a oil pan underneath the oil drain area, plus you can turn the left rear wheel so the driveshaft can be greased. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem.

Ride safe.

That must be one low riding trike, my 2012 Hannigan has plenty of room for me to take down my front belly pan section and put my 8 qt oil drain pan under without jacking anything up.

Back on track -- I built three ramps out of 2X8 lumber. The front is actually three pieces thick. When I run the trike up onto the ramp I can easily change oil. It also gives me plenty of room to scoot the jack I used as a two wheeler up under the rear so I can lift it plenty high to get jack stands under during tire removal type maintenance. The ramps are simple to make and sure come in handy.

Im a chicken sh$#.
I bought a rather expensive platform lift, as I have 3.5 inches of clearance and no one to guide me up a set of ramps.
Having aqua boards is also a deficit. I cant use my regular bike jack on the front end. But with the platform up front. The bike jack in the rear.
I can get the trike very sturdily almost 20 inches off the ground now if need be.:)

Shameless plug here
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=29-3074

I made three ramps out of wood. I made them all the same length but made the front wheel ramp two piece so after the trike is on the ramps I can slide the back portion of the ramp out and then I can get to everything under the trike.
Worked out really nice.
They are a little heavy but I made them out of treated wood so I can store them outside.

If you just want toget under it for basic maintenance and inspections get a couple of items. Buy an ATV 1500lb jack for under the engine. Now get yourself a set of plastic ramps with a good weight capacity. I know you can make them but with the plastic one they have quite a bit of strength and you can hang them on the garage wall out of the way. With your trike position the ramps start your trike ,stand next to it and use the reverse and gently back it up on the ramps. Now put it back in neutral shut it down and drop it in 1st. Put your ATV jack under the engine and lift her up and youre good to go. If you need to pull a wheel get yourself one of these jacks to hold the rear axle up on the side you need to work on.

I have a 2007 GW Trike with a Champion Solid Axle kit and was wondering what is the best to jack it up off the floor without messing something up so I can inspect and/or perform maintenence. How do you do it and what should I watch out for?

Sears has a great platform jack (atv jack) that works great. Just run the front wheel up on a 2 x 6 to allow some clearance for the atv jack. Use caution regarding support, you'll see what you need to do. Usually, a few boards or depending on height perhaps a set of jack stands.

I bought a cheap set of metal ramps at Harbor Freight for the rear wheels with some long boards bolted on to flatten the grade. Front wheel stays on the ground as I drive up the ramp to the flat part. Leave the trike in gear and it is sold and stable for doing work. I can easily get under the lifted rear to do work. I will see if I have a picture from the last time. As for working on the bike front, have not needed to raise it for work.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png