rear air ride suspension

Jul 2, 2011
youngstown, ohio
Anybody have a legend air ride installed? It's supposed to make the ride much better. It has a on board compressor and a thumb control which can be adjusted while riding. It would be great if someone could give some feedback.I'm looking to maybe install one. Thanks

This past summer we installed the Legend Air Suspension. I have to say, for what it cost, I'm pretty disappointed with it. I thought it would be a "cushy" ride, compared to the stock shocks. I had a friend help on the installation and it was a pain in the ass. The easiest way to install it was to totally remove the back half of the body, which made me nervous. But we did it and indeed the body removal was the way to go, unless your some kind of contortionist. I've had to replace a solenoid 3 times on it already. Legend Air sent all of them at no cost.

It wasn't hard to do the replacement. Since I bought it, they ( Legend ) came out with a better, easier to read gage that is mounted in the fairing. BIG improvement by changing that out! But have you ever had your outer fairing off?

Trying to get your hands in there to remove the original gage, replacing with the new one was quite the ordeal! It's kind of like trying to shove 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bucket. Then when you reinstall the windshield, you have to be careful not to strip the screws that are in the fairing. UGH!!! Would I do it all over again........hell no! Long story longer, I'm not at all impressed with the way our trike rides with the Legend Air Suspension, in my opinion.

It a improvement over stock shocks.. I installed the compressor in the trunk versus under the bike..No problems ..I have also found rear tires can make a huge differnece too..Some claim tire pressure also helps..You will find all kinds of thoughts on this topic.. Also the correct pressure in the shocks makes a difference too..
Good Luck..

Legend air

My trike is in the shop now getting the legend air shocks for a triglide installed. You are correct in that the bike handles and rides great under most all conditions. I had them on my ultra that I traded for the trike. The improvement on the ultra was dramatic in the way the system smoothed out those bumbs that always come with a kick in the seat and your back on certain bumbs. I ride my trike every day and commute as well. There bridges and certain roads that are rough and uneaven. I am betting the legend will do the same for the trike. It's at Harley right now for the install.
I post the results as soon as I get it back next week.

I installed the 416 Progressive air shocks on my '12 Trike. I got tired of hitting the bottom of the shock travel. There seemed to be no shock action with the OEM.
When I put on the Progressive shocks there was a 200% improvement ! The suspension works like it should with a shock system and an air suspension for carrying the weight.
The difference was unreal !
You can purchase a system for an electric air pump from DK Customs, a sponsor here. They build it in-house, & it is much less expensive & well built kit. In fact the Progressive 416 shocks & the air pump is MUCH less expensive than Legand's kit.
DJ Customs does not sell the Progressive shocks, but you can get a good buy on Amazon.

:pepper::pepper:
I installed the 416 Progressive air shocks on my '12 Trike. I got tired of hitting the bottom of the shock travel. There seemed to be no shock action with the OEM.
When I put on the Progressive shocks there was a 200% improvement ! The suspension works like it should with a shock system and an air suspension for carrying the weight.
The difference was unreal !
You can purchase a system for an electric air pump from DK Customs, a sponsor here. They build it in-house, & it is much less expensive & well built kit. In fact the Progressive 416 shocks & the air pump is MUCH less expensive than Legand's kit.
DJ Customs does not sell the Progressive shocks, but you can get a good buy on Amazon.

IMO,the Arnott air ride is the way to go. We had it installed on our Boss Hoss trike and the difference was unreal. Boss Hoss offered the Legend system as an options for a few years but discontinued it because of too many complaints about poor ride quality.

Interesting this thread got revived.

Just yesterday I picked up my TG from the dealership that was doing some warranty work.

While I was doing the paperwork, the tech that had worked on the TG came out from the back and wanted to tell me that my TG was the smoothest ride he'd ever experienced on a TG. He had seen the switch and the gauge for the MacAir System (on board air system) and had played with it to get the best PSI in the shocks.

What he did not know, was that in addition to being able to dial in the PSI, it also has Comfort Lifts on it.

Anyway, was a nice thing to hear, unsolicited, from him.

Kevin

RE: Legend air

I have had my Trike back from the shop for about two weeks.
the ride is very much improved the stock shocks.
the one thing that everyone has to remember about this system is that there is a "sweet spot" that has to found by riding for a time and to keep adjusting the air until you find that spot the eliminates any feeling from bumps that you go over with the rear axel on my ultra, it was about 60 lbs.

On the trigile, i am finding that sweet spot at about 85 lbs of air.
my suggestion is the you view the instructions for loading the bike for one or two at legend air.com and work from there. I now can run over the bad bumps and railroad tracks with a very smooth ride. well worth the extra bucks.
just my opinion:)

Suspension

Take all the air shocks and use them in your garage for pry-bars! Really,

Progressive 444-4020B's, turn them 3 complete turns from the bottom, install them upside down and ride away...no more having to check your air. I know of a fellow and his mrs....they tip the scales at 430lbs and have just 3 turns in the shock and are very happy with the ride....much softer than the air shocks.
just my $.02................

Diesel

Installed Legend Air on my 2012 TriGlide. With solid axel, ride is a tiny bit better than stock but still harsh. Probably isn't worth the added expense but it is easier to adjust the air level with the on-board compressor.

legend air suspension

Well, its been about 5 weeks since the install. the first thing is finding that sweet spot. In watching the Legend video on adjusting these shock, it was a big help. I ended up setting it at just under 90 P.S.I. The change in handling and ride has been dramatic.
no more hitting a bumb with the front and then hanging on for dear life, or standing.
When the front wheel goes over, It's now like the rear wheels are on a cloud. the ride is ALWAYS smooth. the bridge that i take daily is now smooth as silk. the secret is playing with the air pressure until you find that sweet spot. if you think you have found it fairly quickly, i suggest that you keep experimenting as i did. i have two ruptured disks and a bulging disk that do not bother me at all since the Legend air install.
In my opinion, this is the best system for obtaining a very smooth ride, one that is not beating up the Trike on R.R. tracks, and bumby uneven roads.
I know that there are varing different opinions, but this is the best for me.

Most people don't want to take the time to find the sweet spot. There are quite a few systems out there. Arnott having the best rating of them all in my opinion. Legends lifetime warranty is the best in the business. They warranty their shocks no matter where or how you bought or got them. I know first hand as I bought a complete setup off ebay for 200 bucks. Sent them in to Legend and they rebuilt the shocks and rewired the entire system. Charged me $67 shipped back to me. I installed them on my Road King. They performed well but not perfect. I did upgrade a couple times over the years as newer versions came up but it was nominal. Usually 2-400 depending on the upgrade. I'm looking at doing air ride on my Champion. i have all the parts ready to go. it's an aftermarket Monroe corvette shock system. Should be good.

As for adjustment I've always filled them up complete and then bump it down to find the sweet spot.

Ride on

Legend Suspension

Last year went thru some experimenting on my '14 TriGlide on suspension. TrikeTalk guys and gals helped a bunch!
Cutting to chase: I run around 90# and vary according to load and road conditions. It also
has a DK lift kit. I'm 75 rode 2 wheels from 1960 until I bought "Triceratops" in '14 due to some health issues. I've put 8k miles on suspension change and learned a lot of the nuances between 2 and 3 wheels. Since then it's been all good. Going to check it out this fall
in "Dragon Country" in Tenn/No. Carolina.
I'll let you know how it went for this old war horse. Ride smart!
Uncle Willie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png