So I'm the "cool" mom....again.....

spiritdream

TOI - Massachusetts
Sep 1, 2008
Central MA
Son sent me a text at work the other day. "Just so you aren't surprised when you get home, called in to work and going riding with a buddy". Um, ok? Your job, your problem! My problem is that now I have to cook supper (he's a security guard at a hospital and usually has supper in the cafeteria when he works).

So I got home, and as I'm coming up the drive I see a strange truck backed up to the front lawn (it sits about bumper height above the driveway), some young man I've never seen before standing by the passenger side, and my son standing behind it leaning on the tailgate. Hmmm..... his bike must have broken down yet again.

So, I pull up to the garage, and I notice that his bike isn't inside. OK, must still be in the back of the truck, but I didn't notice it. So I gather my purse, phone, etc, and get out of my truck - just as son walks by me with his helmet and jacket in hand.

He went in the house, then came right back out as I was getting the milk from the back seat. I asked him "Break down again, or finally sell it?". His response? "You don't want to know."

Ok, a little hitch in my breath, and I ask what happened....again I get, "You really don't want to know". Um, now I REALLY do!! So I said, "What did you do?"

"OK, but don't say I didn't warn you."

Seems he went riding with a friend, and on the left turn of a downhill S-curve, he misjudged his position to make the corner. This is his first year riding again since 2006, and he was nervous about leaning too much, so he overcompensated and the bike ended up going straight - off the road! A bump threw him from the bike, and he landed on his shoulder and rolled a few feet - he "missed the tree" and ended up with his head a couple of inches from a boulder. The bike got the worst of it - straight into a cement marker post, and ended up with the front end stuck on top of the post!

I went around to the side of the garage where he'd "stored" the bike so I couldn't see it - LOTS of body damage, but definitely could have been worse!! So I said "Well, thank heavens you're alright, but it looks like your riding is done for the year even if we get good weather", and I went inside the house.

He came in the kitchen where I'm starting supper, and says "You know, you're handling this better than I thought you would.". So I told him - "I see no sign of broken bones, no blood, and you don't appear to have any head injuries. I've always been told it's a question of "when" are you going down, not "if", so I mentally prepare each time one of us goes riding". I mean, really - what am I going to say?? He's 30+, and I can't very well tell him he can't ride again, especially as we pass my bike every day, right? I did tell him he'd better have someone check the frame before he puts any money into repairs - he bought it used and worked on it for a year before it was rideable, so heavens only knows if there was any hairline damage before that he didn't notice, which could have been made worse by hitting cement.

Several days later, I get "the rest of the story"....hubby mentions this list of parts our son had mentioned needing to start fixing the damage. Then my husband says "He's getting a new brake system this time, I don't care if I have to buy it myself! He's not just "fixing" that one again!".

Kids.....

Found this on his Facebook page.....yep, could have been much worse! (That's his hand on the cement post)

Jim's Bike Nov 2013.jpgJim's Bike 2 Nov 2013.jpg

R6 is a very quick nimble bike but its easy to get into trouble on a bike like that without a fair bit of experience. Main thing is hes ok. hope he learnt a lesson, takes note of his mistake, and rides safer next time.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png