Trunk Latch

Ironhorsepilot

Contributing Member
Oct 15, 2008
Southeast Va
After getting home from a ride on Sat. I noticed my trunk was not shut tight. I had remembered locking it so was baffled. So I shut it and then went to see if the lock mechanism was working and low and behold, it had popped out of the trunk. It was still there, but just hanging! What on earth made it do that?

V-v-v-i-i-i-b-b-b-r-r-r-a-a-a-t-t-t-i-i-i-o-o-o-n-n-n!

Seriously though, put a little dab of Loctite (blue, so you can loosen it if you need to) on the screws when you put it back together and it won't happen again.

Last edited:
After getting home from a ride on Sat. I noticed my trunk was not shut tight. I had remembered locking it so was baffled. So I shut it and then went to see if the lock mechanism was working and low and behold, it had popped out of the trunk. It was still there, but just hanging! What on earth made it do that?

If your talking about the push button lock it has a little clip that is supposed to hold it in. When my dads 09 was delivered his clip was laying on the trunk floor. Its kind of a cheesy way to hold it in because it doesn't clip on tight and can fall out pretty easy.

YUP, it is the push button latch. Held in by a clip. We haven't found the clip yet. It is probably in the trunk somewhere in all my "stuff".

Joe, I would be glad to see what I can do with it! My new CNC machine is coming (as soon as the bank get off their arse) Why don't you just bring it up here (300 miles or so) and I'll keep it for you for the winter. It will be inside, in a nice warm shop (most of the time)
Alternately, I could come down there in the toyhauler and pick it up!

Yup, I ordered 3 of them. Hubby rigged the trunk so i could ride today. I was getting PMS!! (Parked motorcycle syndrome)

If you all want them, then go ahead and order before you need them. All dealers I checked with have to special order them. I ordered mine from Chicago HD, but got an email......special ordered. But they are only$3.12 a piece from CHD.

Last edited:
I would order the clips, but haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood*my head*). Trunk lid closes gently, no water leaks and no clips falling off the lock.....5408 miles.

Barbara,

Mine didn't fall off until I had over 6000 miles on it. I guess road vibrations just worked it loose. But we DID just get back from a trip up North, and some of those roads....WOW! Rattle your teeth.

Cheri, if your trike holds together, then it is a great one! In all honesty, it was the interstates and turnpikes that were the worse. Some bridges on those roads just about bounced me off the trike! I don't see how your cars or trucks hold together. You remember the road that goes to the cottage, how bad that was? Biddeford Pool residents pay at least 18,000 a yr. in taxes and that road hasn't been repaved in at least 10yrs. maybe longer.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redskin9
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png