North East Rally

Moe,

The wife and I were thinking of heading up on Thursday also, I was going to ride with John but he can't leave until later on Friday. Which way are you guys heading up, I am in Torrington so I was thinking of either Rt 7 or Rt 8 to Rt 7. I haven't been on the upper parts of Rt 8 in years so not sure of the condition, but then again parts of Rt 7 are busy around Pittsfield. The lower areas around Lennox are good though.

Doug and Karen
Torrington

If I were to leave from that area I'd do rte. 8, bypassing rte. 7 altogether Or do rte. 22 in NY. which is always deserted when I'm on it.

Moe,

The wife and I were thinking of heading up on Thursday also, I was going to ride with John but he can't leave until later on Friday. Which way are you guys heading up, I am in Torrington so I was thinking of either Rt 7 or Rt 8 to Rt 7. I haven't been on the upper parts of Rt 8 in years so not sure of the condition, but then again parts of Rt 7 are busy around Pittsfield. The lower areas around Lennox are good though.

Doug and Karen
Torrington

Doug,

We have not really decided what way we are going up. We are in south central CT between North Haven & North Branford, Gunny & Deb are in Clinton which is East from us. We will be with Gunny & Deb this week sure we will have time to talk about the rally. After that I will let you know what our plan may be maybe we can all meet up and ride in together.

Has anyone heard of any construction on 81 thru PA ?? And what is with the 58 degree weather ?? That is winter weather for us in Florida!! Guess I'll bring a coat with me.. Red Ryder and I will be there Thur early afternoon and hopefully Mountain Rider will come with us.

Tomg

It has been in the 80s and 90s... 50s at night are common. But the riding is priceless. Bring a jacket.

Has anyone heard of any construction on 81 thru PA ?? And what is with the 58 degree weather ?? That is winter weather for us in Florida!! Guess I'll bring a coat with me.. Red Ryder and I will be there Thur early afternoon and hopefully Mountain Rider will come with us.

Tomg

Hey Tom its going to be in the 40's here tonight -- weren't you just complaining that it was just to hot to ride. :xzqxz:

Moe, sounds good let me know, one way or another I think you will be coming close to here....I was thinking of doing a pre run to see how the roads are, maybe this weekend if it rains on Sunday

Tomg, in early May we drove to Florida and there was construction on Rt 81 north and south in places. We made the mistake of seeing if Rt 95 was any better on the way back but it was a lot worse. A co-worker had drove to Florida also just before we left and he stayed on Rt 81 all the down to Rt 77 and he said it wasn't that bad.

If you have Goggle maps, there is a add-in that will show you almost up to date traffic and construction sites.

Morning Moe I am in the west haven area planing on leaving Thursday AM,we was thinking on going 63 to 6 to 202/10 to 12 then 100,it looks interesting going across the Mohaw trail,any way lost riding companion,want some company?Toni

We have not really decided what way we are going up. We are in south central CT between North Haven & North Branford, Gunny & Deb are in Clinton which is East from us. We will be with Gunny & Deb this week sure we will have time to talk about the rally. After that I will let you know what our plan may be maybe we can all meet up and ride in together.[/QUOTE]

Hey Tom its going to be in the 40's here tonight -- weren't you just complaining that it was just to hot to ride. :xzqxz:

Just keep your "summer" tires on !! At least we gave you and Deb warmer temps in the winter down here !! I'll be there with a jacket and turn on the heater if needed. 18 days and counting down the departure date !!

See ya soon
Tomg

- - - Updated - - -

Moe, sounds good let me know, one way or another I think you will be coming close to here....I was thinking of doing a pre run to see how the roads are, maybe this weekend if it rains on Sunday

Tomg, in early May we drove to Florida and there was construction on Rt 81 north and south in places. We made the mistake of seeing if Rt 95 was any better on the way back but it was a lot worse. A co-worker had drove to Florida also just before we left and he stayed on Rt 81 all the down to Rt 77 and he said it wasn't that bad.

If you have Goggle maps, there is a add-in that will show you almost up to date traffic and construction sites.

Thank you for the reply and we will stick to our planned route as I'm stopping in Johnson City, NY to see the daughter and grand kids for the night up and back anyway.

Tomg

FYI. Just talked to a friend that drove their new trike up from VA. They said RT 81 was miserable lot of trucks very ruff,and construction after VA . I just got back from a trip up Rt 7 from CT. To North Adams Mass. Rt 7 is in great shape. Only problem going through towns. Great Barrington ,Pittsfield was the Pitts ( no pun in tended ) and Lee, Mass. RT 8 South was a great ride we took that back home ... Rt 22 last month was good except for an 11 mile stretch in Stephentown. You should be able to cut over before that on to RT 7 by going on 43 E to 7N and hit RT 2 to RT 100 north.

Before I forget. Try to make it through Conn ( if you use RT 8 North ) with out needing gas. I filled up in Mass yesterday day $.30 a gallon cheaper than Conn.

Before I forget. Try to make it through Conn ( if you use RT 8 North ) with out needing gas. I filled up in Mass yesterday day $.30 a gallon cheaper than Conn.

John - what's gas pricing doing up your way? I just saw $3.29 (cash) in NJ last night, but $3.35 - $3.39 is typical. Of course, there's always the rip off joints at .15 to .25 cents more.

Hang on to your Hats. Gas in Conn is $3.86 for Reg. and 4:06 super. High test. ( the best stuff ) is $4.25. Reason I recommend not having to stop in Conn for gas. Fill up before and after.

Morning Doug & Toni; Gunny and I managed to talk about route this weekend, so we have a plan!
We are planning on route 63-8-9-100. If you would like to meet up someplace that would be great. We have not set any start time as of yet. My wife Linda has MS and getting her on the road 8:30-9:00 is the best we can to.

If you do want to meet up let us know where would be a good for both of you. Linda and I are in Northford which is just north of West Haven if that helps any?

Moe

Good Afternoon Moe,

Yes I know where you are, the company I work for is associated with Honeywell and I have been there many times. From what mapquest shows and my memory, Torrington is about an hour from Northford with no stops. West Dover is about 2.5 hours from Torrington.

It sounds like you would be in Torrington between 10:00 and 11:00 which is fine, another 2.5 hours plus stops would put us there just about the time we can check in.

FYI, Torrington and the next town north, Winsted are the only places with services until you get into the Lee, Mass area. We can meet you in Torrington or Winsted, it doesn't matter, there is a McD's off the highway close by, a Burger King right off Rt 8 and a Dunkin Donuts off the highway right near the hotel from last year. Winsted has a Dunkin Donuts, a McD's and in Otis, Mass there is a small restaurant but they seem to make their own hours.

The services in Lee are off Rt 20 near the Mass Pike entry and it's a few miles west to get there, although gas is inexpensive compared to Ct. I haven't been up any part of Rt 8 north of there for many years so not sure of what is available.

I hope the weather is like what today is.....

Hi Doug
It is about an hour to Torrington from Northford but it is a little over 1.5 hours for Gunny & Deb. My guess by then someone will need a bathroom maybe a cup of coffee. We are not that familiar with the area as to which exit would be best to meet. None of us went to last years rally so not sure what exit that is? My wife may not need the bathroom but where ever we meet having a bathroom that is wheelchair accessible is a must.

Moe

I'll check to see what is the best one, I know most of them have to be handicap accessible but some places are easier to get into than others.

Exit 44 in Torrington. ( down town Torrington. ) easiest on and off.
Burger King at bottom of ramp...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png