Electrical Problem - Blowing Fuse

Jun 30, 2008
Hampton, GA
I have a CSC; converted last June 2008. No problems at all. Moved to GA in July and by Sep 1, I started blowing the fuse labeled Tail Lights.

It blow only once the bike has heated up. I turn the key on and let the bike sit for 20 minutes. Started the bike an it took only about 5 minutes to blow the fuse.

The fuse controls more than tail lights. The instruments go dead, turn signal cancel dead, cruise control dead, idle control dead. I know there are a couple more, but can't think of it now.

Has anyone experienced this. I know when CSC does the mod, they reposition the relay box. Some yanking on that might cause some problems.

The tail lights were disconnected and the fuse continued to blow. Right now a mechanic is working on it but I don't think he has a clue.

Any responses?

When I got my CSC it had a electrical problem. The only way to solve it is to try to unplug and isolate where the problem is... U have already started doing that so just find out what is all on that fuse and isolate it one at a time...
Good luck...
By the way my problem was in the tail light, the bulb had a small piece of wire hanging out the bottom and grounded out when I put on the brakes....
cut wire====fixed problem :D

Like katfish said: isolate. That fuse does protect a lot of circuits. Unfortunely electricals problems are almost always trial and error to find. Get a wiring diagram (a must have) start un-plugging until the fuse doesn't blow anymore. It sounds like it might be a vibration issue because you said it did not blow until the bike was running.

Actually, the fuse blows after the bike is hot, regardless of whether it's running or not. so if is ran and warmed up, simply turning the key to ON will blow the fuse. I agree, it's trial-and-error.

Heat related look at wires near the mufflers or motor. Do u have a trailer hitch? Sounds like a wire is touching something hot. It takes time for the wire insulation to melt before the wire itself makes contact and grounds out. Many wire problems happen under the seat also. think back to when it first started. Did u make any changes , added new chrome, accessories or lights.

Heat related look at wires near the mufflers or motor. Do u have a trailer hitch? Sounds like a wire is touching something hot. It takes time for the wire insulation to melt before the wire itself makes contact and grounds out. Many wire problems happen under the seat also. think back to when it first started. Did u make any changes , added new chrome, accessories or lights.

John, I agree with wires near heat related compenents. Heck, that's most the wiring. Yest I do have a hitch, but I could not see any wiring around the hitch and the trailer wires were not near the hitch or the exhaust. I'm beginning to think under the seat as you said. Time will tell. I'm really missing some great riding weather. What the heck, when in Minnesota, I road will there was ice on the road. Does that happen in GA?

Turn the key on with all the lights on and let in sit there, but don't crank it and see what happens. This will provide some clue as the whether it is something getting hot from heat off a trike component, or if it's an electrical component heating up.

Turn the key on with all the lights on and let in sit there, but don't crank it and see what happens. This will provide some clue as the whether it is something getting hot from heat off a trike component, or if it's an electrical component heating up.

1550vt, I've done that. as long as the bike is not hot, the fuse will not blow. Run the bike till it gets hot, the fuse blows. Turn the bike off, replace the fuse, turn the key on and the fuse blows. Let it cool and the fuse will not blow.

I still haven't heard from the shop looking at it. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Don't you just love these little problems!

Something must be heating up, expanding and pulling/pushing something together/apart. I helped a guy once with a fuse blowing problem and his happened to be loose grounds. He had several loose ground connections in and around his frame and some corrosion under the connections. We removed, cleaned and remade all the connections and he has not blown a fuse since. Something loose can cause the same problem as well as something touching. The circuit that is looking for a ground will find one wherever it can if it can't find the one it's suppose too. If a circuit has lost a ground and finds it momentarily...off-n-on...this will also cause fuse blowing.

Good Luck!

Don't you just love these little problems!

Something must be heating up, expanding and pulling/pushing something together/apart. I helped a guy once with a fuse blowing problem and his happened to be loose grounds. He had several loose ground connections in and around his frame and some corrosion under the connections. We removed, cleaned and remade all the connections and he has not blown a fuse since. Something loose can cause the same problem as well as something touching. The circuit that is looking for a ground will find one wherever it can if it can't find the one it's suppose too. If a circuit has lost a ground and finds it momentarily...off-n-on...this will also cause fuse blowing.

Good Luck!

Talked to the shop today, they are putting the bike back together. They said they found a short. We will know when they start it up and it heats up. I'm being optimistic.

I would want them to show me where they found it and how they repaired it. Please let us know.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png