How Many Have Had Their Triglide Fork Oil Changed?

Sep 20, 2009
NE Ohio
I pose this question because Harley recommends 50,000 mile changes and there are a few who have reached that mark. My dad decided we would pull his fork legs and have a friend of ours rebuild them with Traxxion AK20 cartridges. The forks have 43,000 miles on them and when our friend pulled them apart he found the oil like sludge and the forks sticking instead of cycling smoothly. It used to be Harley had fork oil changes every 25,000 miles, I think Harley had it right at 25,000 and wrong with the 50,000 mile service interval.

Back in the 90's, Harley recommended fork fluid changes at 20K. They never really change their fork design until 2009. I short changed my forks at 10K and the fluid was terrible. I started changing and recommending fork fluid change at 10K instead. It might seem a bit much but the degradation of the fork fluid happens over such a long period that riders don't notice it until they test ride a new one. Once they change their fluid, their trike rides like a new one.

Unfortunately the 2009 and later OEM have no fork drain provision and require total for removal making it quite expensive to change fork fluid.

Well, if I have to remove the forks just to change the fork oil then I'm going to install the Progressive Monotube fork cartridge instead. I had them installed in my 2011 EG and they made a huge difference in the handling and suspension of the bike. Once I do that then I'll never have to change the fork oil.

I just changed mine a couple of weeks ago at 59k miles. The oil was really dirty. Yes you do have to pull the forks to change the oil.....no drain plug. :xzqxz:

Now that it's done it's not a big job.....just takes a little time. I used belray fork oil 30w to try to prevent the diving effect.

Well, if I have to remove the forks just to change the fork oil then I'm going to install the Progressive Monotube fork cartridge instead. I had them installed in my 2011 EG and they made a huge difference in the handling and suspension of the bike. Once I do that then I'll never have to change the fork oil.

Yep, already been there and done that, you'll be amazed at the difference.

I'm anxious to find out how much wear there was, internally. My dad did learn an interesting thing today. Traxxion didn't have a AK20 cartridge for the Triglide, they will now. His where sent off to Traxxion so they can get the measurements to produce the parts, they will then do the fork leg build. The nice part is he will have the capability to adjust the preload and rebound for best ride/handling.

I've seen some pictures of the Traxxion shop and was very impressed with the cleanliness. looks like you can eat off the floors and machines.

dont they have drain screws like the older fork legs to drain the oil on the triglides? I used a low vaccum evacuator in the past on my older conversion trike to change the oil but have not checked the tri glide. yet..

is it possible to drill,tap, & install a drain plug on the bottom of the forks?

That might work if you make sure your screw doesn't intrude into the area the upper slider runs in.

- - - Updated - - -

dont they have drain screws like the older fork legs to drain the oil on the triglides? I used a low vaccum evacuator in the past on my older conversion trike to change the oil but have not checked the tri glide. yet..

The only screw they have is a 6mm located at the very bottom where the axle rides.

IMO if I would do an oil change only it would be at 25,000 miles and then at 50,000 miles the legs would be taken apart to check for wear. There are bushings on the slider that do wear, I don't know how one would put together a set of forks and not ever have to take them apart. Even looking at the cartridge kit from Progressive they don't address the bushings which will wear and create slop.

That might work if you make sure your screw doesn't intrude into the area the upper slider runs in.

- - - Updated - - -

The only screw they have is a 6mm located at the very bottom where the axle rides.

IMO if I would do an oil change only it would be at 25,000 miles and then at 50,000 miles the legs would be taken apart to check for wear. There are bushings on the slider that do wear, I don't know how one would put together a set of forks and not ever have to take them apart. Even looking at the cartridge kit from Progressive they don't address the bushings which will wear and create slop.

Then I can still change and fill my fork oil from the screw then with my vacuum evacuator ...I am sure at some point and time the forks would need to be rebuilt..

Then I can still change and fill my fork oil from the screw then with my vacuum evacuator ...I am sure at some point and time the forks would need to be rebuilt..

I thought guys were doing that with the style which had the philips screw located on the side towards the bottom. With the Triglide you'll have to pull the front wheel and get a couple new copper crush washers for the screws that hold the damper tube down.

I thought guys were doing that with the style which had the philips screw located on the side towards the bottom. With the Triglide you'll have to pull the front wheel and get a couple new copper crush washers for the screws that hold the damper tube down.

Your right..I thought there was still a drain screw on the side..They sure make things difficult these days..

I just changed mine a couple of weeks ago at 59k miles. The oil was really dirty. Yes you do have to pull the forks to change the oil.....no drain plug. :xzqxz:

Now that it's done it's not a big job.....just takes a little time. I used belray fork oil 30w to try to prevent the diving effect.

Anyone know what Harley dealerships charge to change out the fork oil on an 08 Ultra trike?

Is their a "Sticky" or a thread on changing Tri-Glide fork oil?:Shrug:

No sticky or thread. I never gave it any thought but I've pulled them apart enough times I could have snapped some pictures. Only picture I have is how far apart the trike has to come to pull the fork leg off.

tgfront.jpg

No sticky or thread. I never gave it any thought but I've pulled them apart enough times I could have snapped some pictures. Only picture I have is how far apart the trike has to come to pull the fork leg off.

tgfront.jpg

That may be above my skill level. I like to do most of my own stuff I have the manuals but a walk through
step by step would be a blessing:LordHelp:

Anyone know what Harley dealerships charge to change out the fork oil on an 08 Ultra trike?

If you have a 2008 or earlier FLH-FLT model with HD lower legs, you don't have to remove the forks to change fluid. There is a drain hole at the bottom rear of the fork leg that you can use to drain and refill.

I charge $72.50 to change fork oil on these models. It is about a 3 hour job on the 2009-LATER Tri-Glide. The 2009-LATER non-Tri-Glide FLH-FLT TRIKES have the older lower legs. WHY ?????

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D-N-R

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D-N-R
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png