Battery tender

B

bigjim44

What is the recommended use for a battery tender? Are you guys leaing them pluged in all winter or cycling them periodically?

I've done both over the past several years with all positive results. Have quite a few buddies that use them year round....plug them in when returning from a ride. Just make sure its a smart tender, not a trickle charger. Sure extends battery life! ThumbUp

I have had mine plugged in all year when not riding and have never have any ill effects.

I also use them for my 57 Chevy and the battery on my generator year-round as well.

If my trike is in the garage, the battery tender is plugged in, 24/7. this has been my practice w/all my bikes since the 90s. also applies to Corvette.
I have been using Deltran Battery Tenders since the 90s. I am a believer and so is my HD dealer.
they install the pigtail on all their bikes, new and used. I replace batteries though usually after a 6-7 yr life span not because they were dead, but just for peace of mind.

I've had battery tenders hooked up to my bikes and to my lawn tractor for years. When any of them is not being used, they are plugged into the tender. I've gotten as much as 10 years out of my bike batteries and just as long out of my lawn tractor. In the winter months, I usually fire up the bikes about once a week or so and they run long enough to get warmed up. I've never had any electrical problems with anything due to the tender.

my wife and i both have battery tenders on our trikes and use them all the time. the cost of a good Harley battery is above $125.00 and the battery tender will extend the life of it a few years so it is a good investment besides the fact your battery is fully charged all the time. we also use one on my 4 wheeler and boat. ya gotta try them

I got mine hooked up to a timer. It has off at Dawn on at dusk. It only turns the charger on at night. They use them for outdoor Xmas lights.

Dumb question... On the 14 GT the plug is inside (behind) the left side cover. Have folks rerouted it somewhere (not long enough to go far) or are you all taking the side cover off everytime you hook up the tender?

Dumb question... On the 14 GT the plug is inside (behind) the left side cover. Have folks rerouted it somewhere (not long enough to go far) or are you all taking the side cover off everytime you hook up the tender?

Mine hangs next to the cover..easy to get to to plug in..But I have a 2010

Take cover off - pull out plug - re-attach cover. Simple

Like everyone else, when I'm not riding the bike is plugged in and so is my Vette. I've had a Battery Tender since the early 80's and wouldn't be without one - or two.
If you are going to plug and unplug or attach to a timer why did you spend all the money for a Battery Tender when a cheap trickle charger will do the same job cheaper????? That's why people buy the Battery Tender - so they don't have to do those things.

Originally I thought your dealer installed it there, looks like Harley is installing them now. All my battery tender leads have been by the starter. You can see it in this picture of a 2010 Triglde, there is no difference between 09 - 14 to warrant routing it behind the left cover. If its long enough you can change the routing, its just a plain mean thing to do putting that under the left side cover. The side covers can sometimes be a bear to get off.

imag0084pw.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png