Emergency Medical Air Evac Insurance

paws

Just Killing Time...
Oct 22, 2011
Kerrville, TX U.S.A
We received an offer of emergency medical air evac service through Good Sam.
It covered a whole range of related services for about $100.00/year for both of us and on any mode of transportation we're involved with - not just the motor home, so it would cover us on the trikes.

Since west Texas travel can be somewhat remote from civilization and we hear of cases of emergency air evac out this way we are thinking about this type insurance.

Wife's employer insurance doesn't cover air evacuation and I don't think my Medicare does which wouldn't cover her anyway as she's not on Medicare yet.

Does anyone here have any experience with this type insurance - pros, cons, recommendations of, or warnings they would share?

Many Thanks... Jim

Sounds like a really good deal to me. I'd gladly pay that $100.00. I'd imagine a care flight would cost several thousand dollars. Guess it would depend on the details of the insurance Also, I'd consider doing something similar with your local ambulance service if they offer such a thing. A ride in one costs several hundred dollars.

We have it and wouldn't be without it. They are 2 carriers in our area and about 15 years ago when the second one was just starting up they offered a "lifetime" membership for $500 per family. We took them up on that immediately. The last figure I've heard of for an emergency flight was in the neighborhood of $12,000 so if we ever need it, it will have been a bargain and if we never need it that wasn't much money for some piece of mind.

I read about this in one of my bike magazines a couple years ago, but from what I remember the cost was waaaaay more then 1 or 2 hundred dollars a yera. I believe it was more like $100+ a month that's why I didn't get it for riding around Canada every year. Maybe I missed something somewhere. Only $100 a year seems rediculously low to me. Could that be only for coverage in the US? Which still seems awfully low.
Can't imagine it would cover you anywhere in the world. Have you ever priced ambulance insurance???

This sounds like something mountain climbers and skiiers could easliy afford and should - then it wouldn't cost the tax payers thousands of $$$$ to bring them to a hospital.

I don't have it yet but my grandparents do.It was like 65 a year for husband and wife.A guy on a local forum went down on the dragon a few years back and his cost was around 18k.He now has it while hes paying out of pocket for ride he already took.Pretty cheap insurance and when I checked into it it covers every air ambulance service in the state and surrounding area.I hope to never need it but will get it.I can supply a few links if anyone wants.I remember a few were multi state deals.

Marc

Marc Please provide those links.When the wife and I went down 2.5 years ago we were life flighted from Vernal,UT to Grand Junction Co at a cost of over $35,000. Although our regular health insurance paid most of the bill, I would like to look into getting some additional coverage in that area.

Yes, please, all of you that have this insurance, please post those companys that have this kind of policy. If it's that cheap, I'll definately look into it. ThumbUp

Especially for outside the US.

GaryD, we have ours thru our car insurance at Farm Bureau at a special price. It covers the Southern, Eastern states and most of the Western states @65.00 a year.

the medical coverage on your insurance covers this, so make sure it high enough.
I can't find a specific medical medi-vac carrier in north central Indiana.

None of those 3 would work for me. I need something that will work in Canada and the US.
As I posted earlier, the service I read about years ago was a universal policy that covered the world and it was in the thousands of $$$$$.
Personnally, I wouldn't be interested in something local, but I'm sure plenty of others are. ThumbUp

There is actually one county in Tn that recently signed up so that anyone in that county can have the service for like $5 if I remember right.It wasn't mine so I paid little attention to it.I did no investigation into this it was just brought up on the other forum.I would encourage anyone to investigate on their own and in the area they ride in.If they hold with what they are saying and honor membership no matter which of the 3 pick you up there is a pretty large coverage area with these 3.No I haven't done anything yet.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png