What would you guys do??

Nov 15, 2012
Delray Beach Florida
Let me start off by hopping you all had a wonder Thanksgiving with family and friends.

I have a bit of a maybe moral quandary here.
As alot here know I have a Motor Trike kit.
I had my driveshaft replaced under warranty in Sept.
Well I finally got under my trike today.
Much to my surprise.
The replacement drive shaft is the old style.

While the dealer was most cooperative and took a driveshaft off of a new build they had on the floor, rather then me having to leave the trike. Wait a few days and get home and or back over 150 miles each way on my own.

Should I call Richard at Motor Trike and ask for another driveshaft??Richard didn't know what shaft they were using. The dealer certainly didn't know the replacement they used had been redesigned.
Although Im sure the replacement part they were sent for their trike is the new design.

Is it unfair of me to even ask??
My warranty is now expired.
It was up sometime in October.
I feel as I should have gotten the newer design, or at least been told it was the old type.
The dealer did save me an awful lot of aggravation.
I feel Im in the middle here.
Im disappointed ALOT now.
I got a new driveshaft.
I was taken care of.

Any opinions would be more then helpful as I honestly don't know if asking is the right thing to do in my case here.
Asking never hurts and it is out of my hands anyway.
I feel that the original driveshaft did fail after 12K miles, and the new "old" replacement may do the same.
I am keeping this trike as long as Im able to ride.

I respect the opinions of most here.
You all have more trike experience then I do.

If it was me I would ask Motor Trike, they made a change in the design for a reason. Like you said it doesn't hurt to ask.

I agree, even though you don't feel right doing it, its not your fault you got the old style drive shaft.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, even though you don't feel right doing it, its not your fault you got the old style drive shaft. If you plan on keeping the trike it would be best to get the new style.

Jay, agree with the posters above. MT can only say 'no', you're at their mercy now, so you can only humbly ask. If they do the 'right thing' and get you an install on the upgrade drive, they that's gotta be good for their business 'cause you'll spread the word about what they did for you. Good Luck.

Call Richard at Motor Trike and explain your situation. All they can say is 'no', but it would be my guess they will help all they can. I have a 2006 GW that was triked in 2009. Bit more than 15,000 miles when it dumped the driveshaft (the u-joints were not greaseable). Ended up having to trailer the trike to them (Fort Worth to Troupe), but they installed a new shaft (greaseable this time).Not sure if the issue was a warranty or not, but the repair cost me nothing.

I would agree with everyone else that it can't hurt to ask. I would also wonder if there is some issue with the newer design. Maybe the old style will last better.

Call Richard at Motor Trike and explain your situation. All they can say is 'no', but it would be my guess they will help all they can. I have a 2006 GW that was triked in 2009. Bit more than 15,000 miles when it dumped the driveshaft (the u-joints were not greaseable). Ended up having to trailer the trike to them (Fort Worth to Troupe), but they installed a new shaft (greaseable this time).Not sure if the issue was a warranty or not, but the repair cost me nothing.

The fact that its not a greasable one is what got me annoyed.
That's why I jacked it up today to grease it and saw the old style shaft.

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree with everyone else that it can't hurt to ask. I would also wonder if there is some issue with the newer design. Maybe the old style will last better.

In my case the closet dealer is 140 miles away.
When I rode the trike to them and they looked at the driveshaft.
The dealer said mine was toast and they would order a new one.
I had no way to get home and they wouldn't let me ride the trike in its present condition being totally unsafe.
So they took the driveshaft out of trike for sale on the floor.
I took it for granted it was a new design one.
They didn't know any better as that was their 1st build as a dealer.

The old shaft has been troublesome.
Its not better by a long shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Your all right.
Ill call Monday, Im hopping as you guys have said it would be a good business decision but.......I never seem to win in anything when its a lottery.
So I got the new old shaft.
The dealer got a new design shaft to put into their build.
Me..................dunno how long this one will last.
I have nothing to loose here Ill go for it.
Thanks Guys

Seems to me that you and the dealer are the "innocent" parties here, both at the mercy of MotorTrike. MT did ship a new-style replacement shaft which was actually intended for your bike not knowing the dealer had already replaced it with the old-style shaft as a favor to you. And the dealer may not have known about the difference. Perhaps you could ask the dealer to switch the two shafts and offer to pay for the labor, if MT doesn't send another new one.

I think you are entitled to the new shaft but I don't think the dealer should be the loser for having been the Good Samaritan. Yep, I see the moral dilemma.

Seems to me that you and the dealer are the "innocent" parties here, both at the mercy of MotorTrike. MT did ship a new-style replacement shaft which was actually intended for your bike not knowing the dealer had already replaced it with the old-style shaft as a favor to you. And the dealer may not have known about the difference. Perhaps you could ask the dealer to switch the two shafts and offer to pay for the labor, if MT doesn't send another new one.

I think you are entitled to the new shaft but I don't think the dealer should be the loser for having been the Good Samaritan. Yep, I see the moral dilemma.

Im not that way Konrad.
I never ask for something for nothing.
In my business the customer always comes 1st. Profit is secondary if it keeps a happy camper.
Good will is passed on. Ill will can be terminal.
I would 100% offer to pay the dealer for its labor.
Im even willing to add in an oil change, for some pure profit.
I was going to do that too yesterday and just wasn't in the mood after seeing a new old shaft.
Id like to think MT and especially Richard will do the right thing.
If not.
I will call the dealer and see what they can or will do if anything.
Im sure both the trikes they had are still there 90 days later.
Its a pretty rural area ATVs move there, big bikes not so much.
I don't feel right asking but I also feel as though in the long run Im getting shafted on this deal.

The old design being un greasable having no fittings has got to eventually fail.
That's built in or they MT would never have redesigned it.
As my trike is now out of warranty .
Its even more important to me to have the corrected part.

Guys I gave Richard a call this morning and well again Motor Trike and Richard come through.
A new design correct driveshaft is on its way to my home.
After a short discussion.
A 2nd call back.
My taking off the side cover to confirm it was indeed a new "old" driveshaft.
He chalked it up to a bit of miscommunication and thats it.
No real muss or fuss.
I should be a sales rep for MT customer service.
They and Richard have been the best Ive ever had to deal with.:)

Outstanding! Somehow I knew MT would come through for you. Now that's just good for business and public relations. Of course the could have easily said, "no", but they did not say that and did the right thing. Run up the flag for MT, even though I don't own one.....

Richard is the only representative Ive had any real conversations with at Motor Trike.
I gave them a call about 2 weeks before buying my trike from a Toy Store in Texas.
I had to be reassured that the warranty would be transferable.
On his word and that basis alone. His word. I bought the vehicle.
I did no other homework no more research.....................Long run my bad.
I did have an acquaintance look at the bike in Texas too.
But in my own defense.
I make quick decisions and never 2nd guess myself.
Its worked for me for the most part in life.
But as we all know here.
A trike new used whatever is a large investment.
Trike comes looks great runs great..........what do I know??
Nothing.
It had issues. A few I considered serious.
All I might add taken care of.....eventually.
I had it for a week, didn't see it again for 2 months.
Richard from day one and I didn't know who or what his position is over at MT at the time.
Honestly I still don't exactly.
He seems is like me at work, deals with tons of people a day.
You don't and cant remember everyone.
You don't try to remember every ones issues.
You would go insane if you did try.
Until he looks up my records and must make a face Im sure.
Doesn't know or remember me from Adam.
Has been nothing if not top notch and more important.
He is customer orientated.
He has come through every time.
If not with me directly.
He has talked with the shops and people who have worked on my trike.
He does his job and does it well.

Whether MT likes it or not.
Because of Richard they have a customer for life in me.
Im sure the others in MT CS have been just as good.
But I have a feeling his is the last word there.

I don't care what new this or that comes out.
My next if I live long enough, will be a whatever with a MT kit.

Outstanding! Somehow I knew MT would come through for you. Now that's just good for business and public relations. Of course the could have easily said, "no", but they did not say that and did the right thing. Run up the flag for MT, even though I don't own one.....

If he had said no.
Id have accepted it.
What else could I do??
Fortunately, unknowing at the time I bought my trike.
I made a good decision in the company that built my kit.

Id like to think all the major kit builders are the same caliber with their customers.
I know some of the minors aren't even close.
I argue with my boss all the time.
He just sees the bottom line, I run the shop, NOT him.
Good will may cost a few dollars today.
But will more then pay for itself in the long run.
Through recommendations and repeat business.
You never have a good word to anyone about someone or business you feel screwed you over.
Im more then a happy camper in the way MT treats me.
Id recommend their kits to anyone anyway.
Ive grown to like my trike.
Wasn't that way a year ago.

You bought the new style, They re-created the old style for a reason?
What is that reason?

I bought nothing.
Motor Trike redesigned their driveshaft.
Mine failed and was replaced with the old design.
Taken off a trike on the dealers floor.
Rather them me being stuck 150 miles from home.

The dealer being a new dealer and NOT knowing any better.
Used a new "Old" shaft.
Instead of the new type, as I though it was.
If you read from the beginning, the dealer did me a favor and there was a bit of miscommunication between 3 parties with me in the middle..
Motor Trike and especially Richard.
Did the right thing by me, much to my surprise.
At a cost only to them.
Not to me or the servicing dealer.
The older shaft had no serviceable parts.
The new is shown on their web site and is a much stronger improved piece.

- - - Updated - - -

EVERY company needs a "RICHARD"!
Very glad that worked out for you - given the fact situation, it should not have gone otherwise.

I should hope all the majors do.
Im grateful to the point of being annoying here about it already LOL.

Truth be told Konrad.
Im more used to being ignored or put on hold by most CS.
I am usually pretty demanding with warranty items.
I feel Im right , they want to save a buck.
I don't accept "We will get back to you" and the buck being passed.
Try dealing with some firearms companies some time.
My other hobby.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png