Engine rebuild

Feb 25, 2013
casper,wy. usa
Well last winter i built my trike and it will turn 25 yrs. old at the end of the month.
With 91,000 mi. on my old 80" evolution with no major engine work, i find myself with leaking gaskets on the cylinder head.
It's many, many years since i rebuilt a motor.
I ordered a video on evo rebuild just to jog the memory, and i find parts are dear in price.

It seems that this years cold weather is making it harder to breath so i am trying to stay out of it when the mercury dips below zero. I really am getting cabin fever way to soon this winter!

I am trying to buy a few parts each month as you know how it can be on a fixed income?
I seem to have an inexhaustible patience on just about everything except my trike, I always want what i want and i want it right now! I bet you know how that feels?

Well i guess patience will be rewarded when i can finally get started.
All i really need is something to do and something to look forward too?

I seen my cardiologist last week and he can't believe how well I'm doing and says most don't do as well as i?
( My conclusion?) Most don't have a trike!

Well last winter i built my trike and it will turn 25 yrs. old at the end of the month.
With 91,000 mi. on my old 80" evolution with no major engine work, i find myself with leaking gaskets on the cylinder head.
It's many, many years since i rebuilt a motor.
I ordered a video on evo rebuild just to jog the memory, and i find parts are dear in price.

It seems that this years cold weather is making it harder to breath so i am trying to stay out of it when the mercury dips below zero. I really am getting cabin fever way to soon this winter!

I am trying to buy a few parts each month as you know how it can be on a fixed income?
I seem to have an inexhaustible patience on just about everything except my trike, I always want what i want and i want it right now! I bet you know how that feels?

Well i guess patience will be rewarded when i can finally get started.
All i really need is something to do and something to look forward too?

I seen my cardiologist last week and he can't believe how well I'm doing and says most don't do as well as i?
( My conclusion?) Most don't have a trike!

I wish the weather were warmer for you, Paul. I know feeling about needing something to do...the garage is way too cold for me to be out there rolling around on the floor (the sight of that could be ugly or hilarious depending on your point-of-view). Great news from your cardiologist! ThumbUp

I wish the weather were warmer for you, Paul. I know feeling about needing something to do...the garage is way too cold for me to be out there rolling around on the floor (the sight of that could be ugly or hilarious depending on your point-of-view). Great news from your cardiologist! ThumbUp

Ha Ha, I can see the two of us rolling around the cold garage floor Rick, it would probably be good for a few laughs.

your killing me.gif

FYI - I have a 1988 EVO (bought new) and having a time getting parts for it these days also - its still a 2 wheeler but I enjoy it when not on 3.....I tried getting a part for my 2001 Ford truck last week and told it was OBSOLETE.......geeze, guess we are getting old.........
Best of luck on your rebuild......
:10:

FYI - I have a 1988 EVO (bought new) and having a time getting parts for it these days also - its still a 2 wheeler but I enjoy it when not on 3.....I tried getting a part for my 2001 Ford truck last week and told it was OBSOLETE.......geeze, guess we are getting old.........

it took me two months to find a gas gage sending unit.
My daughter is an electronics tech and she has repaired a cruise control for me, that helps!
Ignition switches are hard to come by also.

Engine parts are still available but, the cost of them are high.
My old tour glide has never left me cowboy walking.gif but each year the price of poker goes up.

Still, i wouldnt trade it!

trike-Live to Ride.jpg

there are few boneyards i have found

Thus far I haven't had to resort to 'boneyards' but feel the time is a cum'n........I have a good shop not to far away that has come through so far. Let me know if I can assist you anytime!
FYI - The '88 has been rebuilt twice so far - 268 thou. on her now, certified by H.D.
My '10 trike has 45 thou..........we RIDE.
ThumbUp

Thus far I haven't had to resort to 'boneyards' but feel the time is a cum'n........I have a good shop not to far away that has come through so far. Let me know if I can assist you anytime!
FYI - The '88 has been rebuilt twice so far - 268 thou. on her now, certified by H.D.
My '10 trike has 45 thou..........we RIDE.
ThumbUp

Indeed you do.
I'm beginning to think i could get a different motor cheaper than i can rebuild mine?

At 91,000 the lower end bearings etc, should be gone through and crank, thats a given but one would think the cases would be becoming porous? I just don't know at this point?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png