2010 Tri Glide Ultra. Baffle recommendations

Oct 13, 2011
panama city florida usa
I have a 2010 Tri Glide Ultra with fuelmoto headers, PCV, Autotune, and Rush slipons with 2.25" baffles. I like the sound, but when I back down in a lower gear, I get more of a burble than the backdown growl I hear on other Harleys. Would a 2.00" or 1.75" baffle improve this?

Thanks.

Mike

With a stock engine I'd rather have the 1 3/4 - 2" baffle vs the larger one, smaller will help with bottom end. Depending on the design of the baffle is whether or not it will give you the sound your looking for. A burble isn't too bad vs a growl that might be littered with pops.

I have a 2010 Tri Glide Ultra with fuelmoto headers, PCV, Autotune, and Rush slipons with 2.25" baffles. I like the sound, but when I back down in a lower gear, I get more of a burble than the backdown growl I hear on other Harleys. Would a 2.00" or 1.75" baffle improve this?

Thanks.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Not sure what kind of sound you are looking for (it is so subjective), the video below may give you some ideas.

Of the 4 different configurations heard in the video, the Rush Slip-ons with NO baffles and the W258 Thunder Torque Inserts gave the best power in the low & mid range, without taking anything off the top.

Hey Mike,

Not sure what kind of sound you are looking for (it is so subjective), the video below may give you some ideas.

Of the 4 different configurations heard in the video, the Rush Slip-ons with NO baffles and the W258 Thunder Torque Inserts gave the best power in the low & mid range, without taking anything off the top.

Torque cones can help with the low to mid range when not running a baffle, but when the correct baffle size is chosen for the engines application a torque cone doesn't do much for it. Most folks who use torque cones are running drag pipes or other open exhaust and trying to get some of the bottom end they lost back.

Torque cones can help with the low to mid range when not running a baffle, but when the correct baffle size is chosen for the engines application a torque cone doesn't do much for it. Most folks who use torque cones are running drag pipes or other open exhaust and trying to get some of the bottom end they lost back.

Yeah, we have done many dyno runs testing different torque cones. They don't do anything measurable in any of our testing.

Thunder Torque Inserts are not even related to Torque Cones.

You can see some dyno charts at the link to the TTI's. At less than $25 they give the best bump in low and mid range torque per $ spent.

Kevin

I purchased the Rush mufflers with the 2.0" baffle, and after a long highway ride (on mt 2013 Anniv. Tri Glide) I took out the 2.0" baffles because I couldn't hear my radio at 70 mph, and It felt like I lost some bottom end compared to the stock mufflers.
I installed the 1.75" baffles (as suggested by Rush), and I couldn't be happier. Deep sounding, nice rumble when decelerating, and I now can hear my radio at 70 mph.

You can see some dyno charts at the link to the TTI's. At less than $25 they give the best bump in low and mid range torque per $ spent.

Kevin

I have an 11T/G Stage 1, Rush true duels with rush slipons[1.75] I couldn't stand the noise and loss of bottom end.
So i put a set of Thunder Torque's on [258 Q] Couldn't be happier i got a great sound[not noise] and picked up the bottom and mid range, as a bonus they also eliminated off throttle popping...ThumbUp

Yeah, we have done many dyno runs testing different torque cones. They don't do anything measurable in any of our testing.

Kevin

The cones you have look like a spin on the age old lollipop trick tuners would use to gain back some low to mid range torque from an exhaust in which the baffles were removed. Simple washer of the desired size welded onto a stud then drill a hole in the muffler body and bolt it up. They play with washer size to get the desired torque curve.

lollipop1_zps35d828d8.jpglollipop_zpsccadeb75.jpg

The Inserts you have look like a spin on the age old lollipop trick tuners would use to gain back some low to mid range torque from an exhaust in which the baffles were removed.
(fixed it for ya)

The Thunder Torque Inserts absolutely have their genesis in lollipops. But they are quite a bit more. Especially the W Series.

I have been playing with lollipops for over 35 years in a variety of exhaust systems.

Back awhile ago, due to frustration with the expense and poor performance of the majority of aftermarket exhaust options, we spent 3 years testing hundreds of variations to come up with the best combination of materials and shape to achieve the best increase in torque across the RPM band...that is low cost AND works in virtually any slip-on, drag pipe and full exhaust systems (true-duals or 2-1-2).

When we designed the "W" TTI's we never thought they would be used in 2-1 pipes.

They were designed & tested to increase low and mid range power in the stock HD systems and the more popular aftermarket pipes by increasing the exhaust gas velocity AND limiting engine pumping loss.

We wrongly assumed that the high end 2-1 pipes would not benefit from the W TTI's. We made this assumption because we figured that these big companies had spent time & money to make sure they had the optimum exhaust gas velocity and minimum engine pumping loss on their High Performance pipes.

Well, we have ended up with dozens upon dozens of folks with RB Racing LSR's, Thunderheaders, Bassini Road Rage and other 2-1 performance pipes report back to us that they experienced a noticeable increase in low and mid range torque when using the TTI's.

Here's just a few of them sharing their experiences-

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-fuel-intake-exhaust/822584-a-bit-disapointed.html

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/862982-dk-custom-thunder-torque-w-thunderheader.html

While our focus was increasing low & mid range power, without sacrificing top end, AND without "muffling" the sound, a couple of nice unintended consequences accompanied our desired results.

1. Using the TTI's the tone is lower. Fortunately most people like a lower tone.
2. They change the AFR in the pipe, so most of the time they will eliminate/reduce decel pop.

Depending on the how the bike is set up, sometimes the best increase in torque is without any baffles. However, by far, the majority of installs see the best increase in power when used in conjunction WITH the baffles.

Kevin

We wrongly assumed that the high end 2-1 pipes would not benefit from the W TTI's. We made this assumption because we figured that these big companies had spent time & money to make sure they had the optimum exhaust gas velocity and minimum engine pumping loss on their High Performance pipes.

Well, we have ended up with dozens upon dozens of folks with RB Racing LSR's, Thunderheaders, Bassini Road Rage and other 2-1 performance pipes report back to us that they experienced a noticeable increase in low and mid range torque when using the TTI's.

I think quite a few of the better exhaust manufacturers have spent a bunch on R&D, but it doesn't keep the consumer from making a poor decision when it comes time to choose the exhaust for their bike. Most make that choice based on how much racket it will make, or how deep it sounds. Myself I choose it based on the engine and what I'm expecting from it.

For quite a few years I've been hooked on the Supertrapp Supermeg, I've had the same one on my 06 Ultra since 2007. Its been on everything from a mild 95" build to a hotter 95" build to my present 120" build. I've always run the closed end cap and adjusted the disk count to suit the build. Presently I'm running 26 disk with the closed cap and my torque is a touch over 110 ft/lbs by 2,500rpm and over 105 ft/lbs at 2,300 rpm where the dyno pull starts, most good tuners will not start a pull at 2,000 or below unless you ask them because it beats the bottom end of the engine.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vencill

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vencill
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png