Vibration under load

Oct 18, 2009
Plain City, Ohio
First, I am tickled pink that I have a group of trikeafobias that I can chat with. I recently purchased a Champion kit w/ IS for my 04 GL 1800. When I throtle or put the bike under a load it vibrates like crazy. Some say it may be the drive shaft, others say it couldn't be the drive shaft because if I let off it or pull in the clutch it stops. Can anyone help the old man out ehre with some suggestions or previous knowledge of what may be causing this?

Thanks, The Grill

Welcome aboard grillmate. I have heard of this problem and it was the drive shaft not being installed correctly. There is a way that it has to be installed for alignment purposes. I would suggest finding a trike shop that is very familiar with GW conversions and I think they will solve your problem.

Welcome to the board... Maybe Bazooka will chime in, he is a Champion dealer. Plus we have several others on the board that are either dealers or have done their own conversions...
Have fun....

Hey Grillmate...welcome to TrikeTalk! We are tickled to have you join our nutty family!

My Motor Trike conversion does the same thing. Between 2300 and 2800 RPM's the body vibrates and the left fender makes a noise. Pull in the clutch and it goes away.

I've done everything I know to stop this including putting vibration cushions between the body and frame.

If I can add my 2$NZ worth , It sounds more to me like your fueling needs to be recalibrated. Most likely too lean under load in that rev range. maybe richen by 5% to start with . Have been there with the Ducati & it transformed it.!
Just waiting for the first opportunity to do the same with the M109. I expect the result to be the same ie smother & more torque. regards Baz. :)

If I can add my 2$NZ worth , It sounds more to me like your fueling needs to be recalibrated. Most likely too lean under load in that rev range. maybe richen by 5% to start with . Have been there with the Ducati & it transformed it.!
Just waiting for the first opportunity to do the same with the M109. I expect the result to be the same ie smother & more torque. regards Baz. :)

If I can add to my above post. Retuned the M109 today . The Vibration under load has all but gone , is much much more responsive , smoother , sounds sweeter ( deeper ) as I said above vibration is not always as it seems . :D

If I can add to my above post. Retuned the M109 today . The Vibration under load has all but gone , is much much more responsive , smoother , sounds sweeter ( deeper ) as I said above vibration is not always as it seems . :D

If I can add to the above yet again. Iv'e just fitted a Cobra Fi 2000R purchased through Cruiser Customizing. The preset fuel map has made a huge difference to the way the engine runs + it lets you fiddle in the low ,mid & top end ranges.
Well worth investigating as it lets you dial out the bottom & mid range leaness that most bikes suffer from. Cheers Baz. :yes:

What gear? What RPM? Under 1800 RPM in 5th it will chatter .Under 10 MPH in any gear but 1st or 2nd it will chatter

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png