Arizona bound but not soon enough I think

Jul 5, 2013
Hankinson, ND, USA
We have our third annual winter getaway planned to get a break from the North Dakota winter weather. This year it's Arizona and the trike goes along. The checklist of things to do to get ready is getting smaller.

Needed a trailer, got one 6 x 10 aluminum low profile with a drop tailgate only two years old. Added a wheel chock and tie down loops on the corners. All serviced and ready to go.

Trike needed new rear tires, Got that done last week. Funny how this doesn't cost any more than putting one on the front.

Truck needs to have an oil change but that can wait until just before the trip.

Now if the next 6 weeks of winter would go a bit faster I'd be happy.

Really looking forward to exploring and seeing the sights around Arizona. If anyone has any suggestions on things to take in please pass the ideas along as this is our first time visiting the area.

You never know we may find a place to call our winter home while we're there.

Dave

Funny your first reply is from an Aussie but Elise and i rode through Arizona in August. we came in from the North through Moab (which is just near Arches national park and is well worth seeing)
Monument Valley as you hit arizona is a cool place but the Indians werent very nice. we stayed at cameron, not much there but good accommodation for the area ( and restaurant) and it was an easy ride to The Grand Canyon if you want to see it in the morning light. from there we went to Flagstaff Williams, (route 66 towns) and tried to track what is left of the route across to Kingman, before heading to Vegas. thats about all i know, but i did enjoy the rock formations, the canyon is spectacular, and the route 66 stiff is pretty cool.
enjoy...

Grand canyon always nice, but winter may not be best time to ride that way. I think it is around 7000 ft. I'm partial to Tucson area. Some things to ride to in that area are Old Tucson and thereabouts and Tombstone to the East. My parents have a place just North of Tucson. Great place to live and my favorite HD dealer in country.

I've been able to tow out to Arizona 4 out of the 5 last years, but in March. If you are going out in January keep this in mind.
1. Forget riding anywhere north of Phoenix. That rise in elevation gets in into some cold and snowing weather. Flag can have 2 ft of snow on the ground or more. Monument Valley is in Utah and it will most probably be way too cold to ride up there in January.
2. Think in terms of Phoenix and south. Yuma doubles their population during the Winter but they have better weather than Phoenix. Yuma is so hot in the Summer most folks just leave, but during the winter it is nice. Right outside of town on the California side a lot of off road activity goes on.
3. Even in Arizona they have cool or down right cold nights in many places. Plan on several days when you aren't going to ride at all.
4. If the weather cooperates take a ride into Southern Cal and ride over to Palm Springs. You go through the truck farm region but the weather is usually nice

Every time I go out there I wonder all the way home why I live in Southern Ohio. Those of you in ND must feel the same way. For folks who love the outdoors AZ has so many advantages.

Have a good trip and watch those damn speed cameras that sometimes are out in the middle of nowhere.

HA HA Dumb Aussie never thought about snow, mind you living here its easy to think snow only exists on xmas cards.
funny we have snow on xmas cards when its so hot in the middle of summer.

We have our third annual winter getaway planned to get a break from the North Dakota winter weather. This year it's Arizona and the trike goes along. The checklist of things to do to get ready is getting smaller.

Needed a trailer, got one 6 x 10 aluminum low profile with a drop tailgate only two years old. Added a wheel chock and tie down loops on the corners. All serviced and ready to go.

Trike needed new rear tires, Got that done last week. Funny how this doesn't cost any more than putting one on the front.

Truck needs to have an oil change but that can wait until just before the trip.

Now if the next 6 weeks of winter would go a bit faster I'd be happy.

Really looking forward to exploring and seeing the sights around Arizona. If anyone has any suggestions on things to take in please pass the ideas along as this is our first time visiting the area.

You never know we may find a place to call our winter home while we're there.

Dave

Dave - This link should give you some ideas: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Arizona_78.html

In response to where we're heading, our first destination is the Mesa area and then thinking about heading down to the Tucson area next.

I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

In response to where we're heading, our first destination is the Mesa area and then thinking about heading down to the Tucson area next.

I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

When in Tucson you got Tombstone, Bisbee, Sonoita, Patagonia, Nogales. Also Willcox and Chirachuia (sp) National Park and Kitt Peak for starters

GrandpaDave - There is a group from Jamestown leaving on Feb. 21 for 7 days down in the Scottsdale area. Every winter our Jamestown HOG group sponsors a "Fly N Ride" usually to Arizona (last year it was Texas Hill Country). This year I believe 18 bikes and 2 trikes are going. We have Nelson Tours from Spicer, MN that hauls the bikes down there and back. I'm not sure what they have planned for rides this year. I will check with the road captain for the trip and see what they have planned. It might help you out in making your plans.

2011 Merlot and Black TG.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Two weeks from today I start loading the trike and getting it set for the trip. It can't come soon enough for us with the weather we've been having around here. Yesterday morning it was -20 and this morning it was +30 and raining. Got a message from our friend in AZ that we're going to visit and yesterday he was riding with the temps at around 78.

When in Tucson you got Tombstone, Bisbee, Sonoita, Patagonia, Nogales. Also Willcox and Chirachuia (sp) National Park and Kitt Peak for starters

lived in Sierra Vista for awhile. Stationed at Fort Wachuca after Nam. and decide to stay at SV for awhile. Had only a bike to ride the area of Tucson,Tombstone,Bisbee,Nogales etc areas. Beautiful back then. Haven't been back but was it a great ride! would love to do it again on the Trike.
:Coffee:

GrandpaDave - There is a group from Jamestown leaving on Feb. 21 for 7 days down in the Scottsdale area. Every winter our Jamestown HOG group sponsors a "Fly N Ride" usually to Arizona (last year it was Texas Hill Country). This year I believe 18 bikes and 2 trikes are going. We have Nelson Tours from Spicer, MN that hauls the bikes down there and back. I'm not sure what they have planned for rides this year. I will check with the road captain for the trip and see what they have planned. It might help you out in making your plans.

DakotaTG, I lived in Jamestown from 78 to 97 and worked in the office at what was originally Western Gear Corp. Sounds like your group does the trip up right, enjoy yourself down there. We're heading down on the 11th and will be back in ND on the 21st.

Hi All,
Since I last posted we have been there, done that, and are back home in the 'COLD'. We had awesome weather the whole time and got in some great riding. We did see Tortilla Flats, Roosevelt dam, Old Tucson, Tombstone and a lot of other interesting things too. Already made reservations to spend the whole month of February out there next year.

First pic was at Tortilla Flats and the second was on Hwy60 east of Phoenix on the way to Roosevelt Dam.

Attachments

• DSC05539.JPG
    DSC05539.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC05592.JPG
    DSC05592.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 133
GrandpaDave,

I haven't been checking this thread for a while and just now got caught up on it. Glad to hear you had a great trip:D. Anywhere it's warmer than here and you can ride has got to be better:laugh:. Interesting that you should mention Western Gear Corp. I'm one of the original Western Gear Corp. employees starting in April 1974 and I'm still here. We have changed hands about 8 times now with the last few being TRW, Goodrich and now UTC (United Technology Corp). The plant is about 600 right now. Still making lower lobe cargo systems for Boeing 767, 777 and 787 plus main deck cargo systems mainly for the 767 and 777. We still make some spares for the 747 and 757 but those aircraft are out of production now. We also do the cargo system for the Airbus A380 and about a year ago got back into the military hardware doing a cargo system for the Chinook CH47 both in a regular and amored configuration.

By the way, I'm originally from the Oakes area so have been in Hankinson a couple times. Might have to put that on my list of places to go this summer as I believe the wife has never been there.

Well, our great trip to Arizona ended with an unexpected and trying development. One day after returning home a week ago I got sick like I have never been sick in my life. Starting with Dr appointments through the week and a trip to ER last night. I have something serious going on in my lungs based on CT Scan results so far. A likely diagnosis is something called Valley Fever. At this point biopsies need to be done to confirm. IF you google this condition you'll see there are some nasty symptoms. This is something that you can only catch in the area south of Phoenix toward Tucson and south and east from there. Guess where we spent over two days riding past lots of agricultural land and several active road construction zones. At this point my wife has experienced no symptoms so she may be immune to it.
I have no clue how long I must stay in this hospital.

Well, our great trip to Arizona ended with an unexpected and trying development. One day after returning home a week ago I got sick like I have never been sick in my life. Starting with Dr appointments through the week and a trip to ER last night. I have something serious going on in my lungs based on CT Scan results so far. A likely diagnosis is something called Valley Fever. At this point biopsies need to be done to confirm. IF you google this condition you'll see there are some nasty symptoms. This is something that you can only catch in the area south of Phoenix toward Tucson and south and east from there. Guess where we spent over two days riding past lots of agricultural land and several active road construction zones. At this point my wife has experienced no symptoms so she may be immune to it.
I have no clue how long I must stay in this hospital.

Hope you get well soon, I never knew something like that existed. I guess I know of some places I'll avoid in my travels.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png