Handlebars

Iam thinking off changing my bars and would like to have feed back from people who have change theres and what kind they went to.

Iam just lookin at a bar that comes back 2 more inches than stock, by Harley.

If you encountered any problems or just didn't like the bar you used.

Thanks

I could not find handlebars that put my hands where they needed to be for my bum left shoulder.

What I did was take the stock bars and cut them in the straight part between where they come out of the fairing and head up to the grips. I then welded 7" extra length of tube in that spot on each side.

This got the bars up higher, closer to me, and made them wider. Not only did this get the grips in the most comfortable position, but with them being wider, I have now have more leverage for turning, making it much easier when making turns.

The grips are still pretty much behind the fairing for blocking the wind in cold weather.

I had them powder coated black, but could have had them re-chromed if I was so inclined. I found this to be an inexpensive way to get handlebars exactly where I wanted them.

Below is a pic...lots of junk on my handlebars, and them being black it is a bit difficult to see, but this gives an idea.

Meridian18_zps91cbeeda.jpg

I went 14" bars from county customs with stainsteel cables looks great fits me better then the stock all for only $2000.00 installed omg thats crazy think i just stick with stock bars next time

Ordered Wild One Chubbies 578's for my 2005 Ultra. Pulled them down a bit. Perfect fit. Unfortunately, I crashed the bike a few weeks later. Waiting for Hannigan to ship my trike kit. :cxtv:

'09 t/g i went with paul Yaffee's classic "bagger: bars 10 inch

no need to extend wireing.

only a 4" over clutch cable and 12 or 15" TBY extension

i can now reach the bars leaning back on the seat rest.

if you take a yardstick & hold it under your arm , mine is 20" to the wrist hinge.

you need a 1/4" socket set. cut off metric allen wrenches & glue them jn the socket.

also NO need to remove the exhaust.

just cut off about 1/4" of the short end of the appropriate allen wrench& you can remove the screws.

when you install the new "O" ring in the clutch houseing. LIGHTLY butterlube the "O" ring with prematex non-hardening sealant. don't overtighten it & let it cure overnight.

also pay attention to where the clamps are on the clutch cable. h-d wants them in a certain place.

also when you remove the OLD c/cable tie a length of #12 gage wire on the end of the old cable; so you know how the route the NEW cable.goggle how to remove the ignition switch. & make a homemade tool.

you will need to tie the innerfairing up out of the way. this isn't hard to do just time consumeing.

use blue locktight when reinstalling screws. it makes it easier if you can jack the front tire in the air so you can go "lfull left to full full right" to make sure nothing is bindeing.

goggle how to remove the ignition switch. they show you how to hake a home-made tool or a long flat screwdriver will work.
this is so you can rotate the handle bars when you remove the ign sw.(on late models you turn bars full left
& they lock in that position. my cost was $250.00 i used black bars & they were a-lot cheaper.

Like eagle1 above, I too went with the Paul Yaffe "10-inch Classic Bagger Bar". I went with all new chrome controls, cables, and brake lines during the transition. I chose to extend my wiring by about 4 inches so that my connector plugs remained in the same location inside the fairing.

I'm very happy with the change. It raised my hands where I wanted them to be, putting them about even with the top of the fairing.

Trike_08.jpg

Trike_09.jpg

Trike_10.jpg

Iwould like to thank everyone who replied to my question especially
Eagle1 and John C.
Ihave been researching handlebars and I finally just started visiting bike shops
to see if I could find the right bars on a bike that I could set on and get the feel
for them.
I found very few bikes to try.
I then went to small local shop and was talking with owner about what I was doing
and he told me he had a trike in winter storage which he had installed bars on, well with a talk to owner
I got to set on his trke and see how the bars felt BINGO bars felt great the owner of the shop said they were
Yaffe 10 inch classic bagger apes.
Iam presently gathering my parts and doing more research and when it gets warm enough I will start my install.
I hope to take pictures and post them when done.
Thanks to all

REALLY like Paul Yaffe, he grew up not far from me, and is very friendly when you visit his shop near Phoenix. He also makes an adapter for your throttle by wire, and when I was looking at his 'Monkey Bars' they also had a kit that included all the cables you would need. NOT CHEAP! My local dealer said between $800 and a Grand to buy and have installed. I guess you can save about $80.00 an hour if you have the tools and body to install them yourself. Frankly, I'm too old to do that stuff anymore.

Good Luck!

REALLY like Paul Yaffe, he grew up not far from me, and is very friendly when you visit his shop near Phoenix. He also makes an adapter for your throttle by wire, and when I was looking at his 'Monkey Bars' they also had a kit that included all the cables you would need. NOT CHEAP! My local dealer said between $800 and a Grand to buy and have installed. I guess you can save about $80.00 an hour if you have the tools and body to install them yourself. Frankly, I'm too old to do that stuff anymore.

Good Luck!

Iam lookin forward to the challenge I think if I take my time and do my research everything should go fine.
Thanks

Hi I put Wild Ones WO577 12.5 tall pull them back and love them ran all the wiring inside but the reverse wire I live in Mount Vernon In you or more than welcome to come and look at them it's about a 60 mile drive

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help.
I got my bars on today and just wanted to post a update.

A little more tidy up and iam done .

Attachments

• handlebars 3.jpg
    handlebars 3.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 90
127%20(640x480).jpgWell I got the 13 inch bagger bars from Cyclesmiths. They work great for me. Needed longer clutch cable, front brake lines, and TBW extention. Also ran my wireing inside the bars. Had to lengthen the wireing also.
Dan

Iam thinking off changing my bars and would like to have feed back from people who have change theres and what kind they went to.
Iam just lookin at a bar that comes back 2 more inches than stock, by Harley.
If you encountered any problems or just didn't like the bar you used.
Thanks

I'm having the Arlen Ness modular 13" bar installed on my 2011 TG. You can change the angle for the grips at any time. Check them out. A little pricey. Also, do to "Fossilitiss" in my left hand, I'm having a Jaybrake hydraulic clutch system installed as well.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png