Passenger (wife) Comfort

Oct 27, 2013
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm converting my '08 Road * (Champion solid axle) and would like to know how your wives feel about the comfort difference between 2 and 3 wheels. Any comments would be appreciated.

My wife loves the 3-wheeler. She's ridden cross country on both in past. Finds it easier to get on also (balance issues. A level seat is easier for her).

My wife likes the trike, but is not as comfortable as on 2 wheels. She used to be able to sleep on the 2 wheeler, and now fears that I may pitch her off in a turn (centrifugal force, et al) - not that I would ever do such a thing. ;)

She does like the "ride" of the trike better than when it was a 2 wheeler, the bumps are less jarring.

My wife also prefers the trike. She likes that she can get on and off without me being there to hold the bike, and that she can shift her weight without effecting the balance of the motorcycle.

A little more info than you may want!
Wife and I tested several brands before we settled on our Hannigan.
SA models and models with centered differentials(not in line w/output shaft of bike) got erased off the list pretty quick.
We were testing the IRS, extended wheel base Hannigan GenI while visiting the factory in Murray, Ky. After about 5 miles into our test, wife leaned up and said, "This is the one, isn't it?"
Smoothest one we had tested.
Never got to the Motor Trike or Road Smith!
Wife loves the trike. Ours is a Wing/Hannigan.
YMMV.

My wife likes the ride on 3 wheels much better than 2 wheels plus when she stands to stretch she feels more secure and it don't bother the balance of the trike.

Did read somewhere that champion will no longer make road star 1700 kits.
I will sell mine this spring, when my Valkyrie interstate has the Roadsmith kit on it.

It should arrive next week.

Hannah has been riding behind me since the early "60's on various bikes. The Venture Hannigan trike is far and away her favorite. Nothing else compares. Sits easily, the upgraded backrest gives more lateral support. Easier to mount/dismount. When she shifts positions, stretches etc it is not a distraction to me or a wiggle to the tracking of the bike.

Only problem is napping. ( her not me ) n a trip to Maine she slept right through NH . Woke up in ME. And said are we there yet I said yup. She said that was quick. I said yea if you sleep for 2 hrs. Wife stopped riding on the 1980 wing when it started getting heave at stops. Yes she reads, stands up, turns around to look back if she missed seeing something. Loves she can sit on it upright when I run in for a quick beer ( just kidding about that,) make that ,getting two Blizzards at the local DQ. ;)

Yup, same here, I agree with all of these post as well.
I myself will never go back to 2 wheels.
I'll 2nd Cougar's statement. For those who have concerns about their passenger not feeling secure on curves and turns you need to invest in a set of arm rests for them, preferably ones that will remain in position when side pressure is applied. They make a world of difference for you passengers security.
Larry

Gee Larry, and where might someone obtain such a set of those kind of armrests???ThumbUp

My wife felt the same way pcombe's wife felt! Even though it wasn't my fault, the last time I dropped it she said "You're triking it!!!" We went with Hannigan ourselves, and IMHO it is the best design out there! The wife rides like a queen with the nice pillow top seat, the trunk moved back, passenger floorboards and riding pegs, Carbon One's arm rests, a mega sized drink holder, and a controller for her heated clothes. She's never complained about cornering even when I'm taking one a little fast. Of course those armrests Larry was talking about do make her very secure...

Gee Larry, and where might someone obtain such a set of those kind of armrests???ThumbUp

My wife felt the same way pcombe's wife felt! Even though it wasn't my fault, the last time I dropped it she said "You're triking it!!!" We went with Hannigan ourselves, and IMHO it is the best design out there! The wife rides like a queen with the nice pillow top seat, the trunk moved back, passenger floorboards and riding pegs, Carbon One's arm rests, a mega sized drink holder, and a controller for her heated clothes. She's never complained about cornering even when I'm taking one a little fast. Of course those armrests Larry was talking about do make her very secure...

+1 on the arm rests. Passengers feel much more secure, I've never fallen off since we put them on.

The position of your missus's seat relative to the axle is kind of a key. The Roadsmith we have is long and she isn't directly above the axle so the ride is very comfortable for her. Suspension quality is also to be taken into account. RS uses rear shocks and they are pretty decent. She has a Goldwing seat to sit on and arm rests and is by and large happy. Another main issue is the wind buffeting which has to be taken into account for the passenger. Baker mirror wings (on a GL1500A) and a tall shield put her in dead air unless the air wings are repositioned for flow. We sampled a straight axle MotorTrike (also no rake kit) and it was AWFUL. The guy wanted to almost give it away as his wife wouldn't ride with him. It was tiring to steer. Bad conversion. We sampled a Champion conversion with straight axle and EZ steer and it was really very nice riding. Hannigan and Roadsmith are known for good rides. I have never been on a CSC because of their driveshaft issues.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png