Drilling a champion body?

Apr 5, 2011
Pigeon Forge TN USA
I plan to drill and add snaps to my Champion Kit for the installation of rock guards on the fenders. Has anyone done this and was there any cracking or splintering after the installation from vibration? Your comments will be appreciated.
Thanks Jerry AKA MTN RIDER
Pigeon Forge TN

This is a personal opinion only. I would not drill the body. Nor would I mount the vinyl material guards. They will(over time) ruin the finish under them.
There are a couple ways I would suggest:
The 3M Stone guard film or the 3M spray on
Also, LineX has a semi-smooth bed liner type material that can be sprayed on and some colors can be matched.
YMMV

Upon looking closer, I see you don't have a Goldwing Trike.
I'll leave this post on here just in case someone else is interested in it.

I had my dealer install the clear film on my Champion.
I just didn't care for it, so I took it off.

After riding it now since it was new in 2006, I have no big chips and very few small ones.
I do have the aqua shields on as I think they help a lot.
I also have all the Baker wind wings- mirrors, fairing and big trike leg ones.
My big leg wings are keeping most of the stuff off the rear fenders.
This I can see by all the marks in them.
You might want to give them a try before you do any thing to the fenders.

I had my dealer install the clear film on my Champion.
I just didn't care for it, so I took it off.
Curious minds wonder what you did not like about the Clear film???
I took extra steps beyond what the standard kit covers on my trike. I had all forward facing surfaces of the trike body covered + the front of the foot fairings and on top of the foot fairings where my feet could possibly touch, since I removed the OEM pegs.
In 3 years of service, I have had no problems and no chips!

Jerry, I don't know what type of rock guards you will be using, but the only real answer is that, any hole thru the body will create a weak point and make it possible to crack. I'd be the last to say that it will crack, but it can and I'm sure the location of the hole will have an effect.
As others have, I plan to have 3m film applied to my TG and a while back there was a thread here on TT about someone making a molded hard style rock guard that did not rest on the paint surface, maybe that's what you plan to use.
Good luck with yours and show us a photo when your done.

PS. any claims of no cracking should be made in writing and backed by THEIR money.pepper

Last edited:
I have drilled some holes in the champion body to mount accessories.( fender rails,tour glide emblem etc.) With no ill effects, Dont get too close to edges as that MIGHT increase the chances for cracking?
I used masking tape when i drilled, The body is is not all that thin.
Consider rubber grommets when appropriate?

trike-campsite in Stanley Idaho- resized.jpg

Hint: use the search on the forum to bring up 3M film, there is lots of info.

One warning?
If you lay a bra of some sort over the paint,expect that it will dull the paint through rubbing.

Tape over the hole location, drill a pilot hole, then the proper size hole. Use sharp bits. Drilling through the gel coat is the real problem. That's where you will get cracks and chips. For future reference, if you are drilling a larger hole and it requires a nut and bolt, it's a good idea to countersink whatever fastener you are using down through the gel coat. The surrounding gel coat has far less chance of creating cracks around the fastener if you do that. Better to countersink the fastener than to crack the gel coat when you tighten it down. Got that tip from a long time boat owner.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png