Aqua shields, running boards, Ground affects or whatever?

Re: Aqua shields, running boards, Ground affects or whatever?

If the running boards are braced, which I believe most are, you can step on them. The problem is that you can scuff or scratch them.
There are step pads you can put on the running boards.
It can make a big difference having them to step on, if needed.
We are careful not to step on them, using the passenger and rider floorboard or pegs to step on.

Are they worth the price and how does it affect the co-rider getting on and off. My wife has a physical challenge and has a hard time.

To me worth every dime. I can't address passenger mount/dismount improvement with AquaShields but rider improvement in that area and general riding conditions is heads and shoulders better. I can't believe passenger improvement would not be at least equal.

One extremely important factor is are "load bearing" design. If not using them for anything other then wind/water management is just not a good idea. If you are handy, special built supports might be installed. :xszpv: :xszpv:

I would not be without them.I like the look.We do not use them mounting or dismounting.

We like ours a lot, however as noted you need to (1) be sure the ones for your bike are Load bearing, and (2) be sure anyplace anyone will step is covered vs painted. In days gone by a good number of running boards on trikes were NOT load bearing. Step on one of these and you'll be looking at a pricy repair...

I love mine now that I've taken off my Kuri floorboards. I left the pegs off too.
I have a ton of places now to put my feet and can stretch out a little.
My short wife just climbs up on the Aqua Shields and gets right on the passenger seat. I haven't hear her gripe about it so I'd say it's no problem.
I do have a couple of chips in the paint but it is what it is. We bought it to ride.

Speaking specifically about the Roadsmith Wing Guards. They are load bearing as long as the installer did in fact install the center braces. I called Roadsmith asking this very question as I wanted to remove my Kury Floorboards and just use the Wing Guards as my foot rests. As long as I place my full weight when mounting or dismounting directly over the center supports, they do not flex at all and should/do support my full weight. The Roadsmith tech mentioned that for some reason, there are installers out there that leave the center supports off.

I'd advise anyone regardless of the trike make or model, to visually inspect the under carriage to ensure that your Wing Guards, Aqua Shields or what ever your boards are called, have proper supporting structures.

As long as they are weight bearing, well worth the cost IMO.
I took my rider pegs off and rest my feet on the boards. Put a Kury heel rest on the brake side. Did not take long to adapt to that set up! Much more comfortable.
As far as mounting:
I covered the tops of the foot fairings(painted part) w/3M stone guard, just in case I ever misplace my feet!
Wife also has a problem getting on. She gets on by sitting on my portion of the seat from the left side. Then puts her left foot on the passenger foot rest, Right hand on the seat, left hand on the grab rail, lifts herself onto passenger portion of the seat and then I assist her swing her right leg over, to insure her foot doesn't hit the painted shelter.
Sounds harder than it is!
Mine is a Hannigan and there is a huge negative to the foot fairings!!!! The design necessitates the removal or loosening of the foot fairings to access the rear lower cowl mounting screws to R&R the cowl. Very good thing that is not required very often!

I put them on my Champion because I think they finish off the bottom of the Trike.
Also good for keeping road junk off the back fenders.
Mine are not weight bearing therefore we don't step on them.

Ours is a hannigan which are weight bearing. During the build I took them to line x . They shot the whole works for 200$ and you can't scratch them. Had the same thing done to the front of the trailer we pull . All black looks great.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png