Warranty

When I bought my 2013 GL1800 I told the dealer that I intended to install a trike kit on it and was advised that if I did the Honda warranty was invalid. He did offer an after market warranty by Interstate StarSport that I purchased, $1000 for 84 months, that was called their Diamond Coverage.

I developed a leak around the seal in the right fork tube and had it replaced, but they refused to cover the work.

Have any of you gentlemen had any dealing with Interstate StarSport? Also, what have you done about a warranty on a triked Goldwing?

Thanks for any response.

Never heard of them, I had extended warranty with Honda / was offered off brand warranty for less money but said no. My Honda dealer still warrants what they can on the bike / but as the kit wasn't installed by them nothing on the kit.

Warranty's I have always been told should be with the Manufacturer or a Manufacturer sponsored warranty by a company they support and will be honored at any dealer.

I generally do not buy any extended warranties now as they are to shady, unless I can talk them down to cheap and its a manufacturer otherwise I pass... they make to much money off them and if you maintain your bike you may never need them... my issues were always questioned but always covered back during the days of frame cracks and excessive cupping of tires.. I'd see if you can Google them or have the dealer give you contact details... those guys go in and out of business pretty fast.

If you buy your bike with the kit installed by that dealer they generally cover it all!!

Have watched this same discussion go on on many forums for a long time. Here's my $.02, for what it's worth.
1. At one time the only conversion company that told the truth(almost)was Hannigan! On their old web sight, it stated adding the Hannigan conversion would void the factory warranty on the bike part. Mostly true.
2. We are all smart enough to know that Mother Honda is well aware of the conversions being done to Hondas. Especially those being done by Honda dealers.
As simply as I can state what I concluded from doing a lot of research on this:
1. Any modification or accessory added that is not approved by the bike manufacturer, nor done by a tech at an authorized dealer MAY limit warranty coverage.
2. While dealerships that install trike conversions will usually cover warranty, you MAY have problems with coverage, should you be many miles from your installing dealer and have a problem that can be attributed to the conversion.
3. Should a factory rep show up to review the bike/defective parts and note the bike has been triked, the warranty claim MIGHT be rejected if the rep determines the problem was caused by the conversion.
Said warranty claim rejections would be for drive train problems and front suspension problems, if a rake kit has been installed and/or steering head bearings have been changed to non-Honda parts.
Many have cited the MM law during these discussions, claiming the manufacturer can not reject warranty claims. The MM law DOES NOT apply in warranty disputes concerning Trike conversions.
Warranty claims for items not affected by the conversion SHOULD be covered with no problems.
Finally, if you noted the wording, such as MAY, MIGHT, etc., I'm saying it's pretty much a crap shoot as to what may be covered and what may be rejected if you have triked your Honda or any other brand for that matter!

Over the years I have read where it is basically a “hit or miss’ with Honda dealers covering warranty issues on the “bike end.” While I suspect many agree that the bike end should not be a problem with the coverage, it has been all over the board at Honda shops.
<O:p</O:p
Solidbob is right in that reports support that if the Honda Dealer builds the Trike, they are most likely to honor warranty issues (would not want to adversely impact potential Trike sales after all).
<O:p</O:p
I sure hope that you are not stuck with a bad return on your $1000 investment. The devil may be in the details, or as the case may be, the “fine print” of that contract. Maybe a discussion with the shop manager might help, along with your plans to talk to the Better Business Bureau in your area with regards to said contract if it was clearly implied when you signed up that these types of issues would be covered. Hope you can get good results.

Before buying my trike I spoke with the manger of my local Honda dealership.
He said they would honor the warranty of the bike end for sure.
As long as they don't report the work as being done on a trike they get paid.
I know its a gray area but so far the bike half has had no reason to be brought in for any work.
Cant say the same for the trike end.

Hopefully you won't need warranty work. If you do just take it to the Honda dealer and see what happens.
Before I bought mine I did a ton of research on warranties. I was lucky that my local dealer also installed the trike kit that I had. I didn't purchase the trike from them but I did buy the Honda warranty from them. I did pay a little more for the warranty but I figured it money well spent.
I see all the horror stories about warranty refusals but I don't think it happens all that much.
I do know for a fact that my trike kit is warrantied for 3 years by CSC and my Goldwing is warrantied for 7 years. My dealer will work on both under warranty until the warranty expires.
When the time comes I need some warranty work done I will take it in with a prayer that it gets fixed under the warranty.
Just ride it and don't worry about it.

Thanks again for the additional suggestions! Guess I got a little miffed that the seal problem wasn't covered but I'm definitely looking forward to better weather and riding. I have a 2010 Ultra Classic trike but had much rather ride the Goldwing!! BTW, really enjoy this forum! :)

I have been wondering about warranty. I had been considering buying a new trike 600 miles round trip from where I live. The local dealer sells a different brand of trike but is unable to get a new Goldwing that I would like to get, (mainly color) and found that I like a different brand than they sell. The new trike that I like is about $6000 more that the local dealer wants for a new trike with a 54,000 mile 6 year old bike with no warranty. I am afraid they wouldn't warranty any bike related problems (not that I would blame them) but don't know about making 600 mile trips.

For the trike end I make a 300 mile round trip.
The dealer knows and has worked with me in the past.
If they don't have the trike part they need.
They have taken it off new trikes on the floor and gotten replacements from Motor Trike.
Now that my MT end is up.
Ill still make the trip to Cowel Motor Sports.
Because they have been that good to me.
Local Honda dealer will still honor the bike half, but if its a big job.
And I can ride the trike.
Its off to Cowel for me.

Fork tube seals are considered a wear item and usually are not covered by a warranty kinda like brake pads.

+1 ThumbUp

Seals & Gaskets are not covered by Extended Warranties aka Extended Service Cntracts EXCEPT when they must be removed, destroyed or compromised in order to fix/replace a covered component. Then, and only then, are the Seals/Gaskets covered (Part & Labor to R&R). Fluids have similar restrictions.
That's Par for the Course with any Extended Service Contract. The one you have isn't "chincy" or worthless-it's normal. Before you cancel it for THIS Instance and reason,,,, think about it more.

The seal that was replaced by the non-Honda mechanic started leaking again about 6 weeks later. I took it to the Honda dealer in Chattanooga for repair. They found the tube had a nick in it that was wearing the seal. Must have happened during the trike install. Bought a new tube and seals and haven't had any more problems with it.

They advised me that they will cover anything that doesn't pertain to the kit install.

Must have been Southern Powersports.
Anthony & the Crew at Southern are VERY Trike friendly being a large Trike Dealer/Installer themselves. Another testimonial to that and good for all the TT Community to know.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...leaner?ref=sho

MIS-MN08-0356.jpg

Also, as w/many items, it depends on the dealer as to fork seals being covered under warranty or not.
Most likely NOT, if you've triked and added a "trail kit"(They're not really rake kits!)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png