Feeling secure on 3 wheels.................

7582.jpg Feb. 8, 2014

When I switched over from 2 wheels to 3 I got a great feeling of being much more secure when riding. I have had over 50 bikes in my life and enjoyed all of them. However, when I moved to three wheels I enjoyed riding even more. I was always concerned about the bike falling over when making a slow U-turn on a narrow road. I also worried about slipping on gravel or those metal bridges where you go from side to side. LOL.

I reached a point where the Goldwings were too heavy for me to push around. Twice, in my garage I would go to turn the bike for cleaning and it would tip over. It was just too much to handle. Fortunately, it never put a scratch or dent in the fenders nor did it put a dent in my Mini Cooper convertible where it landed. Love those engine bars.
I know I gave up leaning in curves, but it was worth it to me to feel more secure. The only problem I find is that it is very hard to talk to my riding companions when we pull up to a light. My two buddies on their two wheelers pull up next to each other and I sit behind them since there is no room to pull next to them. Bummer. I will just have to suffer. LOL.

Anyway, I will never go back to two wheels again. My friends love to lean way into the curves, but I just sit there and look on.

Gordon :pepper:
p.s. In the wet weather I feel much safer. On sand I feel much safer. I guess I feel safer all around.

Welcome to the world of 3 wheels. There are a number of subtle differences in steering, braking and especially watching the rear end width at gas pumps, etc.

After giving up my 2 wheeler, for the same reasons you had to, I found a new freedom in riding the trike. It seems a whole lot less stressful on long road trips, since I never worry about losing control of the bike, regardless of the road conditions.

View attachment 18544 Feb. 8, 2014

When I switched over from 2 wheels to 3 I got a great feeling of being much more secure when riding. I have had over 50 bikes in my life and enjoyed all of them. However, when I moved to three wheels I enjoyed riding even more. I was always concerned about the bike falling over when making a slow U-turn on a narrow road. I also worried about slipping on gravel or those metal bridges where you go from side to side. LOL.

I reached a point where the Goldwings were too heavy for me to push around. Twice, in my garage I would go to turn the bike for cleaning and it would tip over. It was just too much to handle. Fortunately, it never put a scratch or dent in the fenders nor did it put a dent in my Mini Cooper convertible where it landed. Love those engine bars.
I know I gave up leaning in curves, but it was worth it to me to feel more secure. The only problem I find is that it is very hard to talk to my riding companions when we pull up to a light. My two buddies on their two wheelers pull up next to each other and I sit behind them since there is no room to pull next to them. Bummer. I will just have to suffer. LOL.

Anyway, I will never go back to two wheels again. My friends love to lean way into the curves, but I just sit there and look on.

p.s. In the wet weather I feel much safer. On sand I feel much safer. I guess I feel safer all around.

I have been riding since my first whizzer at age 12. I am 71 now, and I have no intention of stopping riding which is my means of meditation and joy. The time came when my hips and knees were not completely trustworthy. There was no question in my mind that a trike was the new reality. Like you, I enjoy the trike but I still would rather be on two wheels, but now, I pack up my camera gear, meet up with my riding buddies and we are in the scene/wind for the next 6-8 hours. Nothing better. I just keep my eyes to the front and forget about the large ass that is dragging behind in the bike and in the seat.

River Doc

Like you I think it's time for me to go to 3 wheels. I have had both knee's replaced the last one 5 months ago. We did go for a long ride last Saturday it was so great to be back on the bike. I did drop my bike 2 times last year both times stopped and we both stepped off it lucky. I have a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I have been riding for last 47 years and 44 years for the both of us and we are not going to stop riding any time soon. Going to look at a Gl1500 trike next week but don't know the builder of the trike kit I did a post about it. I think it will be a good starter trike to see if we are going to like a trike.

I had the opportunity to ride a 2009 GL1800 w/CSC conversion a couple weeks ago. First trike I have been on since the early 80's. I am looking forward to triking my new to me GL1500 some time in the next couple years and I found that while it was fun to ride it certainly was a bit different. The steering around the corner at the light felt like it was going to tip over, however, I knew that it would not. But the ride was a bit strange a little wobble at first like the raked front end was trying to fall over but wouldn't. Higher speeds it rode very nice and was quite comfortable. I have read that there is a learning curve to riding a trike and I can see why. But I am still looking forward to the day when I can say my two wheeler is in the shop and a three wheeler is coming back!

View attachment 18544 Feb. 8, 2014

No matter why. The time comes when the trike becomes a very attractive alternative to a two-wheeler. A Gold Wing at slow speed has the nimbleness of an aircraft carrier. I am 71 and really enjoy cruising on my Gold Wing (2006) Hannigan trike. I just have to remember not to pull up to close to the gas pump. Enjoy your ride.

River Doc

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png