Breaking distance tested compared to 2 wheels.

Nov 6, 2011
The Villages, Florida
I just recieved my latest issue of MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) which had their latest performance index for about every bike imaginable. I knew my Champion didn't stop as well as before I triked it but these figures really suprised me. They showed a 2012 Gl1800 stopping from 60-0 mph in 127.4 feet. The only trike comparison I could make for a Gl1800 trike was with a CSC Cobra that stopped in 216.1 feet. That is a HUGH difference. Over 88 feet longer!
They tested a Tri-Glide that stopped in 143.2 feet. The Harley weighed 261 lbs. less.
I'd be interested in hearing your comments. I myself since triking over 2 years ago have allowed myself more following distance because I know I can't stop as fast as before.

I just recieved my latest issue of MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) which had their latest performance index for about every bike imaginable. I knew my Champion didn't stop as well as before I triked it but these figures really suprised me. They showed a 2012 Gl1800 stopping from 60-0 mph in 127.4 feet. The only trike comparison I could make for a Gl1800 trike was with a CSC Cobra that stopped in 216.1 feet. That is a HUGH difference. Over 88 feet longer!
They tested a Tri-Glide that stopped in 143.2 feet. The Harley weighed 261 lbs. less.
I'd be interested in hearing your comments. I myself since triking over 2 years ago have allowed myself more following distance because I know I can't stop as fast as before.

I agree. We need more distance to get these things stopped. Even when I really stand on the rear brake peddle and get a hand full of the front break lever I still come up long. I've considered doing the brake line upgrades to see it that would help. Might be a good idea. :xszpv: :xszpv:

I haven't really measured my 2012 Hannigan, I don't feel it stops much longer than when I was 2 wheels. I'm pretty happy with the rear disk Hannigan installed on my GEN2.

I can only go by my seat of my pants test, But my [ex] 1800 VTX stopped a lot faster than my Tri-Glide does..
That said, Stopping fast [panic] with a 2 wheeler is a lot more traumatic :AGGHH: then on a Trike.....

Something not considered.... Regular Brakes or ABS Brakes, you'll never get an ABS bike / trike to stop that fast. Now regular brake bikes & trikes I bet could...my spouse would be up under my butt, at least a soft landing would be had by her. I always ride the outside lane just for that reason, bail-out area is more readily available. Fast lane your most likely stuck where you are.... Just my FYI

I saw that too, but find it hard to believe. My '05 CSC Cobra with ABS sure feels like it stops a lot better then that.

On another website someone reported that, in some unsanctioned 60-0 brake tests, the Cobra was stopping in 117-125 ft

Guess I'm going to do my own test when I get a chance.

My 2012 CSC Viper stops just fine! After riding it the first time I've never even given it a second thought. When I have to hammer down on the brakes it will STOP! I use both front and rear brakes on every stop just like I taught as a MSF instructor.
I think CSC put some thought in their brakes when they designed the Viper.

I do think after becoming familiar with your trike you will know how it handles when you have to make an emergency stop. If not, you really need to get out there and practice using your brakes. If you know what it will do you'll be a lot more at ease when riding.
Be safe!

I too use the outside lane anytime I can.
I find I have to leave a lot more space between me and the traffic in front with my Motor Trike then with my 2 wheelers.
Unfortunately what ever space I do leave like 4 or 5 car lengths.
Some jackass in a can thinks Im leaving the space for them to fill it up.
Stupid drivers down here.
So far Ive been pretty lucky and haven't rear ended anyone..........yet.

I checked my braking distance before and after triking my '06 Wing with the 2011 Roadsmith kit. Braking distance was nearly equal at 20, 40 and 60 mph. As a matter of fact, the two wheelers in our group stay further behind me because they know how quick I can haul the big girl down. One BIG factor, the real difference between bike and trike, is stability during emergency stop. My trike won't "tuck" the front wheel.

A note of interest: on my trike I engage the rear brakes first to engage those big back tires, then start squeezing the front brake. I want the rear tires to maintain maximum traction before I begin transferring weight to front end by engaging the front brake. BTW, on Roadsmith the front and rear brakes are NOT linked. Anyway, works for me.

About a month after getting this new girl of mine, I was riding down in Flo<st1:State w:st="on">rida</st1:State> and was traveling about 55 in a 50. There was a full sized school bus sitting at an approaching intersection waiting to come across the lanes. I was about a 1/16 of a mile away from the intersection when the driver pulled out, cutting off and just avoiding a collision with an approaching car in the immediate cross lane and then of course he came over to cross my lane. I quickly found out that the work that was done by the team at Hannigan to completely integrate my brakes worked. I had very little side slide, as the Trike moved forward in a basically straight line until I moved to alter course a bit to avoid the back end of the bus. The crease in my vinyl seat is still present.

Next time I am down south and have some access to long straight roads, I think I will try to more officially test this set up and if I can, will report back my findings.

Braking also is a big difference if you have a passenger on board over those big back wheels.Riding solo as in a ERC course,almost every hard braking manuver,the trike would skid.Not so when same was done with a passenger.Wife is about 150 lbs. and the trike settled down to a good safe distance stop.I learned a lot between the two and adjust my distance as others have said.
I had to do some hard quick stops in traffic riding solo and almost always get a little skid.Sure was a "pucker factor" until I learned to "keep my distance".
Now,2-up and pulling a trailer,which I never over-load,I give myself plenty of extra distance.The pushing factor will always be there unless going up-hill.
The CSC has more brakes tha when it was a 2-wheeler,you just have to learn your machine.
My 2 cents.

I heard some of newer trike kits offer upgraded rear braking systems and stop better. I participated in a recent thread about the poor braking characteristics of my 2005 Champion. After a lot of searches, phone calls and excellent input by members of the forum...finally decided that, a real good bleed, better/softer brake pads and a larger foot surface for the rear brake foot lever for the foot to stomp down on, is the only way for some of us to get better deceleration. I now have the whole front torn apart for a fork rebuild, but I will test out the theory once assembled. Others have found the bleed, pads and rear brake lever mod to have worked for them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png