Programming key fob for 2008 gl1800

Sep 5, 2012
Urbandale
I just purchased two key fobs FCC ID: E4EG8DJ. I currently have one that works. I have read numerous procedures and still am not sure if you start steps 1 - 6 original or the new ones (unprogrammed).

1. Insert key into the ignition and turn it to the ON position.
2. Aim the remote at the trunk within 4 seconds press the RELEASE button.
3. Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
4. REPEAT steps 1-3 TWO
more times (do not remove the key just turn it in the igntion)
5. Turn the key to the ON position, aim the remote at the trunk and press the RELEASE button. DO NOT
TURN IGNITION OFF
6. Aim the same remote at the trunk within 4 seconds press the RELEASE
button.
7. Repeat step 6 for any other remotes you wish to program. If no further remotes are being
programmed proceed to step 8. (you can program 3 remotes)
8. Turn the ignition to the OFF position. Programming is now complete.

Thank you
ljs

You have to follow that procedure for adding both remotes.
1st time around took me about an hour.
I rewrote the pattern out in a much shorter form.
Ignition On press Xteen times.
Jump around do the hokie pokie etc.

Don't get discouraged for me any way it was a major PIA.

Yes just add the new one last step on the web page.
I don't remember the process to program the remotes.
I had to add both as I stripped the programming.
But I did write it out in steps.
When I 1st tried to add the 2nd remote I wiped out the programing completely.
Once I did get the remote programed adding the 2nd one was easy 1 click I believe pointed at the trunk.

If you read the instructions one step at a time.
You will end up doing it to slowly.
Write them out in a short hand way whatever is comfortable to you.
The steps are all actually in the timing and must be done in the same time frame like 3 seconds or less for each step.
That's why I believe it took me so long.
I didn't have my timing right.

I wish I could be clearer on this but it was over a year ago.
I used the instructions from:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5910778_program-honda-goldwing-remote.html

I know this is an old post ... like ancient.

I recently bought a new remote from eBay. Of course it didn't come with instructions. So I did a search and came up with this thread. I tried and tried to use the eHow instructions and was very unsuccessful. I did however, find another version. It worked first time and was really simple. I now have two remotes that work.

Here is the procedure I used. I can't remember where (what site) it came from and couldn't find it again. Sorry but don't want to take credit for someone else's work.

1. Insert key into the ignition and turn it to the ON position.

2. Aim the remote (one that is programed) at the trunk within 4 seconds press the RELEASE button.

3. Turn the ignition to the OFF position.

4. REPEAT steps 1-3 TWO
more times (do not remove the key just turn it in the ignition)

5. Turn the key to the ON position, aim the remote (original that is programmed) at the trunk and press the RELEASE button. DO NOT TURN IGNITION OFF

6. Aim the same remote (original that is programed) press the RELEASE button.

7. Repeat step 6 for any other remotes you wish to program. If no further remotes are being programmed proceed to step 8. (you can program 3 remotes)

8. Turn the ignition to the OFF position. Programming is now complete.

As stated above, timing is key. Try to
complete the steps between 1 and 4 seconds each. In the write up about this procedure it stated that less than 1 sec and you could loose the programing of the original remote. Greater than 4 seconds and you will have to start over.

Just to be totally clear, the "release" button is the one on the right side of the fob as looking at it with the big button on top. It looks like a Gold Wing.

Good Luck and I hope this helps someone in the future .. maybe save some time and frustration.

From what I've seen on some of the GL1800 forums that some folks were having trouble programming remote transmitter on 2012 -2017 Goldwings when following the old instructions for 2001 - 2011 model remotes

- appears there was a minor program change in 2012 that would cause the setup program to fail if trunk button was held down too long

- the following was added to the November 2011 version of the Glodwing service manual

When conducting the registration procedure, only press the trunk opener button [1] momentarily. If the button is kept depressed until the red light [2] illuminates, the registration will fail.

I've attached a pdf that can be downloaded which provides instructions for both series of Goldwings - thought it might be helpful

Attachments

• Goldwing Remote - program instructions (2001-11 & 2012-17).pdf
    286.7 KB · Views: 301
Well now I guess I’ll get my extra fob down off the nail it’s been hanging on an give it another try. I bought a fob last year off eBay an never could get anything out of it. According to the recent post I guess I was doing everything wrong.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png