Flex Steel Brake Lines?

May 27, 2011
San Angelo
I'm thinking about replacing the old rubber brake lines with the steel web ones. Anyone have experience with this upgrade? Sources and any other information you can offer is appreciated. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Thanks!!!!

Roadsmith kits come with S/S lines from the rear master to the rear brakes and are un-linked. Your Motortrike I am unaware as Motortrike gives no Honda Kit information on line, so if you received an installation booklet with your kit it should say. As for changing all lines I have seen information on kits that do this but they are built for a GL1800 Bike not trike. I have checked into this and the bike line kits run about 425.00 give or take by mfgr. and it looks to be a real pain to get to all the lines / being Roadsmith had furnished S/S and un-linked the system for the rear brakes from the front, I was really only worried about the rear brakes and their function. I looks like a lot of Tupperware needs to be removed to reroute the front lines and just didn't see the need. Your dealer should know if you didn't receive an installation booklet.

ThumbUp

Roadsmith kits come with S/S lines from the rear master to the rear brakes and are un-linked. Your Motortrike I am unaware as Motortrike gives no Honda Kit information on line, so if you received an installation booklet with your kit it should say. As for changing all lines I have seen information on kits that do this but they are built for a GL1800 Bike not trike. I have checked into this and the bike line kits run about 425.00 give or take by mfgr. and it looks to be a real pain to get to all the lines / being Roadsmith had furnished S/S and un-linked the system for the rear brakes from the front, I was really only worried about the rear brakes and their function. I looks like a lot of Tupperware needs to be removed to reroute the front lines and just didn't see the need. Your dealer should know if you didn't receive an installation booklet.

ThumbUp

I'm not asking about upgrading my MotorTrike brake lines. Just was interested in all the OEM lines that now have over 110k on them and probably are showing their age. Thanks for your insight... :xszpv: :xszpv:

New brake fluid DOT 4 or the new Synthetic 4 & 5 that I changed to yesterday, Valvoline and doesn't absorb moisture - AutoZone - suck the old out and suck the new in - good for 4 years / just top it off and go / I still wait til you see a leak somewhere. Another day slaving away in the 70 degree heat... probably warmer in San Angelo... be riding this afternoon ... Later Jerry

New brake fluid DOT 4 or the new Synthetic 4 & 5 that I changed to yesterday, Valvoline and doesn't absorb moisture - AutoZone - suck the old out and suck the new in - good for 4 years / just top it off and go / I still wait til you see a leak somewhere. Another day slaving away in the 70 degree heat... probably warmer in San Angelo... be riding this afternoon ... Later Jerry

Me too Bob. Soon as I get some lunch in my belly I'm going to soak up some sunshine. Suppose to be close to 80 here today. Still having a little difficulty shifting because of the knee replacement three weeks ago but I get it done and all is good after that... :xszpv: :xszpv:

What a great day, compared to what we have had---- 175 miles of smiles, have a few little things to correct tomorrow and get my windshield wiper installed so it can rain...right!!

Jerry I've never seem the stock brake lines offered other than from the dealer.. there are some used take-offs on Ebay / here is the Galfer USA PDF showing the procedure to replace lines. Their lines come in colors S/S with teflon inner, they used range for visibility. Enjoy if you decide to go for it: http://www.galferusa.com/brake-line...0 ABS-Linked.2001-2005.D533C Complete Kit.pdf

Big file very detailed... you would have to do the same for stock brake lines.

Your OEM rubber lines do break down with age and will flex a little under pressure. As your bike ages the brakes will not feel as crisp as when new.If you contact Rick Heferkamp at Buckeye Performance he will set you up with what you need. I have bought from him in the past and he is very knowledgeable and very fair in his pricing. http://www.buckeyeperformance.com Tell him Pegasus 1300 (Paul DeGrey) sent you.

Your OEM rubber lines do break down with age and will flex a little under pressure. As your bike ages the brakes will not feel as crisp as when new.If you contact Rick Heferkamp at Buckeye Performance he will set you up with what you need. I have bought from him in the past and he is very knowledgeable and very fair in his pricing. http://www.buckeyeperformance.com Tell him Pegasus 1300 (Paul DeGrey) sent you.

THANKS Paul. I appreciate the info. I haven't decided for sure that I'm going to do this but the smarter I can get the better so I'll give him a jingle... :xszpv: :xszpv:

I can see several improvements by changing over to braided/all steel lines. Every bike I've owned this is a changeover I've made. You get improved "feel" from the lever during braking, crisper response on braking, and much less fade as line "swelling" is eliminated.

The last bike I upgraded lines on, before changing, I could pull the brake lever all the way to the grip with moderate effort. After changing lines and bleeding the system, i couldn't squeeze the lever to the grip with full effort (to beat all the jokes there, I'm not Hercules, but I do have a strong grip). I'd say go for it, BUT, with the way some of their lines are routed, I may feel differently if I were doing this on a Goldwing!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png