HD Transmission

Mar 15, 2013
Olive Branch ms
Just wanted to run something by you guys, a friend who is an LE says their mechanic puts an extra quart of fluid in the Tranny to keep it cool, any thoughts.

Stumpe

Just wanted to run something by you guys, a friend who is an LE says their mechanic puts an extra quart of fluid in the Tranny to keep it cool, any thoughts.

Stumpe

I'd say they need to run as fast and as far away from their mechanic, he has some screws loose.

Now-MY Mechanic has a bigger oil pan on his bike (which means another quart of oil) and swears that it helps keep his motor running cooler. Maybe that is what he meant,.?:cxtv:

I don't see how even an extra quart of oil helps the bike run cooler. It'd take a bit longer to get up to temp, but once there, increasing the quantity of hot oil won't cool ti any. Same holds true for the tranny.

There would be more pan surface area exposed to cooling air with a larger pan. That being said, I haven't seen anyone building a pan designed for actual oil cooling on a Harley. It's like Harley oil doesn't get hot or something.........:pepper:

Baker plus 1 pan is suppose to add a quart of oil and cool the oil some..

Yep Baker has the +1, funny thing is there are a lot of folks running the streets with some monster motors running the stock pan. I've looked at the Baker several times but just don't see any benefit to me for the cost.

Yep Baker has the +1, funny thing is there are a lot of folks running the streets with some monster motors running the stock pan. I've looked at the Baker several times but just don't see any benefit to me for the cost.

That is the Oil Pan that my mechanic says he uses. Of course, owning a shop, he probably gets a better deal on parts etc....plus no labor charges like I would have to pay....but he claims it helped. I don't also see enough benefits to spend the extra cash on the trike. I spend enough just MAINTAINNG it!:gah:

Mr. Wizzard recommends a quart of Formula + and about 16 oz of syn ATF with the install of the Barnett +1 clutch. I did it this winter but have not had an opportunity to road test. Mr. Wizzard has many posts, I've read most.. we can trust Mr. Wiz.

I have been running one and one half qts of redline in my six speed tranny for 25,000 miles to cut down on the terrible noise in first and fifth. It actually works and never a leak. Just won't work on two wheelers due to lean angle.

Mr. Wizzard recommends a quart of Formula + and about 16 oz of syn ATF with the install of the Barnett +1 clutch. I did it this winter but have not had an opportunity to road test. Mr. Wizzard has many posts, I've read most.. we can trust Mr. Wiz.

I think that is the primary with that much oil..

- - - Updated - - -

I have been running one and one half qts of redline in my six speed tranny for 25,000 miles to cut down on the terrible noise in first and fifth. It actually works and never a leak. Just won't work on two wheelers due to lean angle.

Surprised its not coming out of your breather tube yet..

Adding more oil will make it run cooler. The hot oil will not cycle thru the system as quick and will cool more. Some old Jaguar inline six's run 13 QTs of oil. Plus you will have more surface area on the pan and that will help. I have no idea how much cooler but definitely some.

I think that is the primary with that much oil..

- - - Updated - - -

Surprised its not coming out of your breather tube yet..

Yes its the primary Wiz runs that oil mix in. I agree I'm also surprised mcdonaldroadcapt hasn't had anything come out of the breather tube. Overfilling the transmission oil doesn't do anything for the engine.

Running the 1 1/2 qts in tranny was for noise help only. Understand it has nothing to do with engine cooling. My trike, with the 110 engine, runs beautifully and does not overheat. I actually was able to take off those ugly heat deflectors and do a 1 1/2 inch tank lift to expose more of the beautiful chrome. I honestly beleive that the tank lift gets more air over the top of engine. However, I will give most all of the cooler running credit to MR. WIZ and his magic touch tuning talent. He is the best!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png