Which Countries Don't Require a Handbrake? Or, Shipping to Foreign Countries

Which Countries Don't Require a Handbrake? Or, Shipping to Foreign Countries

I've spent time researching this question on Google, but the closest thing to a definitive answer that I could find was: Japan, Australia, all of the UK and MOST of Europe require a trike to be fitted with a handbrake (parking brake to us Yanks), but not necessarily all of the European countries. I have a group of six people (each riding their own rig and each rig without a handbrake) that will be moving from the US to several international cities, from Tokyo to London to Rome to Paris to Madrid, etc, etc. And before you ask: no, fitting handbrakes to the trikes is not an option.

I've already found that both UK and European law allow foreign plated vehicles to remain up to six months without any legal hassles. But in order to get all six trikes into the cities where my people will be moving I need to airfreight from America into a country that won't stop them at customs for the lack of handbrakes, and from there have them trucked overland.

Basically, I'm in the unusual position of having an unlimited budget for shipping expenses, but a limited knowledge of where I can actually ship to.

Does anyone here happen to know which (European, especially) countries will accept our machines at customs? Or even better, perhaps a way to get through nanny-state customs despite the lack of handbrakes?

Re: Which Countries Don't Require a Handbrake? Or, Shipping to Foreign Countries

you may find there are more hassles than just handbrakes.. most countries wont accept vehicles without separate amber indicators on the rear. often tyres are not considered compliant unless they have the european standards marking eg E4... DOT rating may not be accepted...also speedometers in MPH may be an issue. headlights not E rated..etc etc
Its a minefield of potential disasters. cost me $3,500 in the end to get my USA trike road legal in Australia, and that was after i had the speedo converted to KPH.

hope you can get it happening...good luck..

Re: Which Countries Don't Require a Handbrake? Or, Shipping to Foreign Countries

you may find there are more hassles than just handbrakes.. most countries wont accept vehicles without separate amber indicators on the rear. often tyres are not considered compliant unless they have the european standards marking eg E4... DOT rating may not be accepted...also speedometers in MPH may be an issue. headlights not E rated..etc etc
Its a minefield of potential disasters.

Really? Even for some tourists just passing through? We'll be in each place less than a few months.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png