Howdy from Big Wyoming

Just dropping in to say "hi" and introduce myself. Was researching info on my 2 VW engines/trans axles and stumbled upon this site and thought "why not".

I aquired my first trike as an inheritance when my dad passed away 4 years ago. It's titled as a 1978 Wilmac. Rode it for a couple of season, then, started having light issues and haven't had time to get into it. Also acquired a 1980 Homemade last summer as a basket case - all parts supposedly there in boxes and tins. Have debated whether I will combine parts from both into one or rebuild both and have 2.

I was born in and have lived my whole life in Wyoming where I also met and married the love of my life! Recently retired from the Army National Guard after 21 years, but still working a full-time job as a local truck driver.

Don't know much about working on engines and transmissions, let alone VW, so will probably have lots of questions! Will post pictures later.

Welcome from Central VA. ThumbUp

Visited your state and surrounding states years ago. The NorthWest is definitely the most beautiful part of our country. Just my opinion,,,. ;)

Welcome from Central VA. ThumbUp

Visited your state and surrounding states years ago. The NorthWest is definitely the most beautiful part of our country. Just my opinion,,,. ;)

Thanks, and I agree. That's why I've never left...beautiful country and low population!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to Trike Talk, from S/W Ohio.

Thanks, Eddie! I have an old high school buddy who was born in Warren - outside Cleveland. Spent most of his school years out here, then, moved back to Warren after we graduated.

I guess you don't know it but there is another triker with friends right here in Casper!

I go by the name pcombe on the forum, and if your not careful you might meet me?

I am retired so am planning to do some riding this summer when the temperature finally exceeds the wind speed.
I stepped out to the get the mail and fell into a snow drift, rolled into the mud and got up and dusted myself off and got hit with a cold rain.
It's true, We live in the only place on earth where you can stand in mud up to your A** and get dirt blown in your eyes.

trike at Hot Springs-Thermopolis, Wyoming 7-20-2013-A6.jpg

Betcha I know folks who can help with your trike right here in town?
P.s. I built my own as you know there is no one around here that has any idea what they are doing with a trike!

Google - pcombe photobucket/library to see pictures of the build.

Hello Sean and welcome to the website from the U.P. of Michigan. I have never been to Wyoming but as you can see we have several members from your area and even more that have either started or completed a VW trike. And some have used different designs and can give you different ideas. Stop by when you need a question answered and send pictures of your work, we love pictures. Ride safe.

Just dropping in to say "hi" and introduce myself. Was researching info on my 2 VW engines/trans axles and stumbled upon this site and thought "why not".

I aquired my first trike as an inheritance when my dad passed away 4 years ago. It's titled as a 1978 Wilmac. Rode it for a couple of season, then, started having light issues and haven't had time to get into it. Also acquired a 1980 Homemade last summer as a basket case - all parts supposedly there in boxes and tins. Have debated whether I will combine parts from both into one or rebuild both and have 2.

I was born in and have lived my whole life in Wyoming where I also met and married the love of my life! Recently retired from the Army National Guard after 21 years, but still working a full-time job as a local truck driver.

Don't know much about working on engines and transmissions, let alone VW, so will probably have lots of questions! Will post pictures later.

One suggestion?
Let insurance help you decide how to build your trike, You may have to look around and see what qualifies as a home made trike. Some insurance company wont insure a home made trike unless it comes of a recognized kit.
I'm sure it can be done because others have done it, You may want to use the v.w. forum and do a search on ins. Wyoming may be different from other states.

When I went to insure my trike after I converted it they weren't going to insure it when I said I built it myself until they found it was a champion.
Curious enough I got better rate and more coverage from Safeco than Dairyland who I had been with for 35yrs.
It was cheaper to insure a trike.

I was going with Geico to insure my "home" made trike. They insured it and then about a month later sent me a cancellation notice. :xzqxz:

I then called Progressive and they insured it without any issues. Basic Wyoming state liability insurance ended up being $96 for a full year. ThumbUp

I was going with Geico to insure my "home" made trike. They insured it and then about a month later sent me a cancellation notice. :xzqxz:

I then called Progressive and they insured it without any issues. Basic Wyoming state liability insurance ended up being $96 for a full year. ThumbUp

There you go!

Yep, the blue one is under Progressive. We had USAA and when I went to insure the trike I found they used 3rd party - Progressive. Was a pretty good deal and now all our cars are insured with them!

- - - Updated - - -

One suggestion?
Let insurance help you decide how to build your trike....

Thanks for the suggestion! I know my dad had a helluva time insuring his first one. Everyone assumed it had a rigid frame like H-D and didn't want to insure it. He finally ended up with Dairyland. At the time I think a lot of guys did. They were one of few that would insure trikes in the late '80's. Progressive never even questioned when we insured the blue one. I never heard of Wilmac, but maybe they are familiar with it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png