Rear Brake Rotors for 2012 Triglide

:Trike1:Let me say this the metal is junk on our brake rotors look at the heat front rotors take for years. mine rear rotors were junk in less than 8,000 miles. No excuses junk metal! It is what it is! and no help from the Motor Co. :mad: ride safely fearless

I have 26k on my rear rotors without issue, but I changed the rear pads almost as soon as I got it. I think I only had around 4k when I went to the after market. The rears are still good just did a bad check with the 25k 2 year brake fluid change.

SeanSean1 good job thank you for the efforts. you have knowledge that a lot of us do not.

Been at it since I bought the TG in January Gorilla ... had to have a breakthrough sooner or later!

Drawings almost done BTW ya'll ... depends on how my day and weekend go. But right now id say im gonna buy at least one stock piece to play with and compare. Ill spend more on alcohol this weekend anyway.ThumbUp

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone considered cutting the rotor to smoothness and having a thicker brake pad done, ? seen it done on cars, why not on trikes ?

Just a thought. :cool:

If Harley copied motor trike rear end stuff, they use a ford ranger or ? do they not ? some place to start including the focus, good luck.

Cowtown ... remember... the stock TG rotors are 4 stud ... the Rangers are 5 stud. That's why I never looked that way before. FYI.

2009 model

I have 26k on my rear rotors without issue, but I changed the rear pads almost as soon as I got it. I think I only had around 4k when I went to the after market. The rears are still good just did a bad check with the 25k 2 year brake fluid change.

It is what it is, this possible break through on rotors is a god send to all of us.
I have no doubt my rotors are OEM and I have been told the 09 models had a bunch
of Issues. that being said I really love my triglide even with it's short comings. Scored rotors I inherited form former owner, had them turned deep scoring came right back. Next is new rotors OEM one's are junk on my Triglide. :Shrug:ride safely

Been at it since I bought the TG in January Gorilla ... had to have a breakthrough sooner or later!

Drawings almost done BTW ya'll ... depends on how my day and weekend go. But right now id say im gonna buy at least one stock piece to play with and compare. Ill spend more on alcohol this weekend anyway.ThumbUp

Fair enuff, wonder what wilwood would offer when you find or use your current dimensions ? Thought motor trike originally used ranger style rear ends turned upside down, not that thats a brake hub, jus a rumor.

Forgot about the stud issue, my bad. :cool:

The $256 is list price for the kit -09B which contains 2 rotors .... per bulletin. Apply to 2013 and older trikes.
2014 Have a new system using a 10.6" rotor.

rotor bulletin 09-13.jpg

The $256 is list price for the kit -09B which contains 2 rotors .... per bulletin. Apply to 2013 and older trikes.
2014 Have a new system using a 10.6" rotor.

View attachment 30376

.8 hrs to change out the rear rotors? I thought the rear wheels and tires were very difficult to remove?
Though I realize it's still not as cheap as some automotive brake rotors,$256/pair doesn't sound too bad.

.8 hrs to change out the rear rotors? I thought the rear wheels and tires were very difficult to remove?
Though I realize it's still not as cheap as some automotive brake rotors,$256/pair doesn't sound too bad.

Are you sure about that price? [256 for two] Every quote i get thats the price for one give or take 20 bucks....:Shrug:

285 USD I was quoted

I don't know about what you were told ($285) is what I was told Per rotor. I can't see me paying that for what they are. I believe the term is Robbery where I come from. :(Fearless

I agree,$285 each would be pretty steep. It kinda sounds like they're a high-wear item,also. If so,I would definitely be talking to other brake parts manufacturers or looking at the new 2016 TriGlide rear brakes. Someone posted today on one of the Facebook TG news groups that H-D had made some changes to them;i.e. different rotors.

Edit: $157/each is a lot better than $256. http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline...op-hat-carbon-steel-41500031?page_612407714=0 I've bought parts from this dealer before w/o problems.

The rear wheels aren't difficult to remove, you have to get the tire jacked up a few inches to give room to tilt them out from under the fender, then its the same as removing any other wheel.

Are you sure about that price? [256 for two] Every quote i get thats the price for one give or take 20 bucks....:Shrug:

Correction... You are right ThumbUp;;; My dealer just gave me a price quote, $250 for two.... Don't know why i was quoted $250 each by a few other dealers...?? :Shrug:

2012 TG Rotor spec findings

ok... i think i have something for all of us. I finished the spec and machining guide sheets.

try this peeps .... if it doesnt load correctly... send me an email with WHO YOU ARE... and i will email the sheet straight to you. Like ive said all along... this is only research and speculation... i will be doing this myself very soon now that i know what direction to go. A machinist can verify if i have any mistakes here...... take it with a grain of salt, but my findings are still cheaper than HD rotors.

View attachment 02ff_rotor.pdf

SESENN7 at gee mail !!

:LordHelp:

God Bless you

ok... i think i have something for all of us. I finished the spec and machining guide sheets.

try this peeps .... if it doesnt load correctly... send me an email with WHO YOU ARE... and i will email the sheet straight to you. Like ive said all along... this is only research and speculation... i will be doing this myself very soon now that i know what direction to go. A machinist can verify if i have any mistakes here...... take it with a grain of salt, but my findings are still cheaper than HD rotors.

View attachment 30388

SESENN7 at gee mail !!

:LordHelp:
Dude thanks I will be all over this like flies on poop. ride safely fearless:goodjob:

Brake rotors same?

My only question is, are the rear rotors the same on 09-13 or were there changes made? :confused: If the only change made it is a simple adjustment in diameter just need to find out. possibly someone already knows. :Shrug: Ride safely fearless

The only change made was to change to an iron, not steel rotor. This was for the squealing problem. designated in the part number by a -B suffix. There may have been a mod somewhere also for the -A suffix.
Later they went to a 10.6" rotor in place of the 9". This change was in '14ym +.
So MOCO knows there was a problem with the early models, but will they offer an upgrade ???? That is called buy a '14 or later Trike for the answer. All about money & not about safety !!
Not even an upgrade that you would pay for!!
Great company !
JMHO.......

Thank you!

The only change made was to change to an iron, not steel rotor. This was for the squealing problem. designated in the part number by a -B suffix. There may have been a mod somewhere also for the -A suffix.
Later they went to a 10.6" rotor in place of the 9". This change was in '14ym +.
So MOCO knows there was a problem with the early models, but will they offer an upgrade ???? That is called buy a '14 or later Trike for the answer. All about money & not about safety !!
Not even an upgrade that you would pay for!!
Great company !
JMHO.......
Tank you for the reply I know what I'm going to do ride safely fearless

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png