Shock pre load on CSC Trike

I have a Goldwing 1800 CSC Trike. I have been playing around with the preload on the rear shock, tried 0 to 20 in 5 intervals under various conditions and loads but it seems to make little diffrence.

What settings do you fellow CSC trike owners run with, do you find the changes significant or marginal.

Thanks for any info

Mike

Believe me Mike, I'm a tinkerer and never hesitate to take something apart or to adjust things that aren't designed to be adjustable, but I have resisted the temptation to tinker with the pre-load on mine "just to see what happens." ;)

We have the CSC too, and have been extremely happy with the ride as set by the installer and if I thought it were too hard or too soft, I would not hesitate to adjust it.

My experience at "fixin' things whut ain't broke", tells me that if I adjust it once, my mind (and probably my wife as well) will tell me that that I screwed it up and to keep adjusting it till I get it right. And I know that somehow, I'll never get it back to the same level of satisfaction I have right now. :(

I have a Goldwing 1800 CSC Trike. I have been playing around with the preload on the rear shock, tried 0 to 20 in 5 intervals under various conditions and loads but it seems to make little diffrence.

What settings do you fellow CSC trike owners run with, do you find the changes significant or marginal.

Thanks for any info

Mike

Hi Mike, remember Preload Front and Rear is used simply to set the ride height of the bike,( is called static sag ) or Trike in this case. The dampening ( compression & rebound ) controls the ability of the wheel to follow the road surface & ride Quality. :) ie if the spring is too soft the the forks or shock sits too low & uses more of the available travel than is desirable, too hard & they sit too high in the stroke meaning they cant function as too little travel is used. So you can see that the spring has little to do with the ride being hard or soft.

ps. I'm more than happy to explain this in more detail if you so wish. regards Baz.

Last edited:
Great post. You laid it out far better than I could have.

Hi Mike, remember Preload Front and Rear is used simply to set the ride height of the bike,( is called static sag ) or Trike in this case. The dampening ( compression & rebound ) controls the ability of the wheel to follow the road surface & ride Quality. :) ie if the spring is too soft the the forks or shock sits too low & uses more of the available travel than is desirable, too hard & they sit too high in the stroke meaning they cant function as too little travel is used. So you can see that the spring has little to do with the ride being hard or soft.

ps. I'm more than happy to explain this in more detail if you so wish. regards Baz.

Thanks Baz, and all, I was expecting it to improve the handling on the corners on the harder settings but as I understand it now, it is only to compensate for extra weight to maintain ride height.

Must stop pressing all these buttons.....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png