Is driving a trike like driving a wave runner.

I have biked for 45 years and at 62 am looking at trikes. I have NOT ridden a trike yet but most of the info I ride is you DRIVE ? a trike and not ( don't know how to say it here)?? On 2 wheels you shift and lean with the bike.
I do have a wave runner and at first when you ride one you tend to try and ride like a 2 wheeler, then you learn to drive and not ride it.
Am I way off in the riding style ? I also have a ATV Polaris 850 sportsman

tanks you any help Cb

Last edited:
Short answer is NO.
The only thing similar is you do steer both. You still lean on a Personal Water Craft.
One trick learned on riding a trike for both the rider and passenger to apply downward force on one's outside foot in a corner. This counteracts the feeling of being "leaned" outward while cornering.

I have biked for 45 years and at 62 am looking at trikes. I have NOT ridden a trike yet but most of the info I ride is you DRIVE ? a trike and not ( don't know how to say it here)?? On 2 wheels you shift and lean with the bike.
I do have a wave runner and at first when you ride one you tend to try and ride like a 2 wheeler, then you learn to drive and not ride it.
Am I way off in the riding style ?

tanks you any help Cb

I've never ridden a wave runner Chuck but I'm betting you are pretty darn close to it. Have you ever ridden an ATV? Steering a trike is very similar to that... It takes a bit of getting use to but in no time it's second nature just like leaning a two wheeler. Go test ride a few and you'll see. There is a real good thread here about cornering. http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/1065-Handeling-corners-amp-curves?highlight=cornering
I highly recommend it for heavy reading... :xszpv: :xszpv:

Riding a trike reminds me of riding a snowmobile. Centrifugal force works in a different manner on a trike than a bike; instead of pushing you into the seat, it works to throw you off the trike. Shifting your weight will take care of that for you...

If you have an ATV, and actually ride it,; Then driving a trike will be a cinch.
I had ATV's as far back as when they were called ATC's, And about 6 years ago after 35+ years on Two wheelers, I bought a Trike, No test ride mind you and rode it 80 miles to home, I only problem I encountered was the first red light'', I stopped at I put my feet down, Got over that habit quick....

ALL of the above examples are "similar"......Trike Riding is a definite Learning Experience, that once reasonably mastered is an open gate to a "REAL BACKYARD OF FUN", and TRIKE TALK.com is definitely the Right Place to get Your Information.....ThumbUp

I think the answers on riding an ATV are the closest you'll get. Riding a wave runner is a lot like riding a snowmobile, and riding a trike is also a lot like riding a snowmobile. It depends on where you ride the sled. In deep loose snow a snow machine rider can carve turns by leaning into them as on a wave runner. On packed groomed trails a snowmobile turns flat like a trike or an ATV. On all of them - trike, ATV, snowmobile and wave runner - you turn the bars the way you want to go. No countersteering as on a 2 wheeler.

Some of the best information on beginning to ride comes from members of this board. If you havent yet, check out this link-http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/242-Making-The-Switch-Bike-to-Trike-Great-Info!

Most folks will tell you it takes about 500 miles to get used to driving a Trike as opposed to riding at 2 wheeler. The biggest adjustment is when you first turn right and lean left. Your mind tells you, ( since you have been riding 2 wheelers) "this has to end badly", because if you were on 2 wheels, it WOULD end badly; but with a Trike it is normal. Forget counter steering on a Trike, (it can get you killed) and don't be afraid on turning over. You really have to be doing something crazy to turn one over. I've never talked to anyone, or read where anyone who bought a Trike didn't wish they had done it sooner. I sure do.

Am I way off in the riding style ? I also have a ATV Polaris 850 sportsman

tanks you any help Cb

Not even close.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png