Need a educated guess

Aug 8, 2012
Dora Al
Seems I'm developing a shake in my scooter , it's side to side and my question is does a tire ever cause such a problem ? The tires look good but their 8 years old need to be replaced anyway , age factor but like me don't want to be discarded because of a little age . So just wanted to know if anyone has had a problem like mine with say a broken belt or even a rolling belt in a tire . GONNA KEEP MY FINGERS CROSSED ON THIS ONE .:AGGHH:

Thanks guys I could tell the concern for my health :clapping:, but my question is would a tire do this ? Changing the tires I agree is a given just thought I might get a little input if somebody had another suggestion but thanks .

By the way Rhino get some newer draws man :D:D

You know that you need tires so no reason to go on about it.

Side walls are deteriorating they no longer have the flexibility they once did. There could be broken cords in the tire itself. If they have been sitting in one spot of a long time side wall has that impression in it no matter what you do that section will not react the same as the rest of the tire.

I agree guys ,,they were on it when I bought it so was the front which I changed as soon as it got home . I'm almost positive it's the tires and if not needs to be replaced anyway .ThumbUp It started a couple weeks ago and seemed to be a little worse this weekend , about to let go I guess .

It's my rear tires the front is new . The right one does have a small flat spot so I'll replace 'em this week and go from there . Thanks thoughThumbUpThumbUp

I agree guys ,,they were on it when I bought it so was the front which I changed as soon as it got home . I'm almost positive it's the tires and if not needs to be replaced anyway .ThumbUp It started a couple weeks ago and seemed to be a little worse this weekend , about to let go I guess .

SLICK, HOWS THE LUG NUTS,AXLES,SHOCK MOUNTS:Coffee: ETC?

I have had a tire with what tire dealer said was a broker belt I took it in for vibration from rear of truck.. had no idea that it was bad tire I thought maybe I lost a wheel weight or something it cost a lot more than wheel weight:(...new tires all around and never looked back!!
magoo

If you still need to check the tires, you can jack the rear end up , put jack stands under the axle, then start the engine, let it idle and put it in first gear. Hold an object next to the sidewall as the tire spins , if it has a broken belt you will notice the side of the tire in one spot will be different. You can also go to the tread side of the tire and using the same object, holding it in one place on the floor as the tire spins . The same thing will happen if you have a broken belt.

:clapping:,,Thanks guys but without a lot of coaxing I think tires are going to be replaced ,,,the side to side has got to be a tire or wheel . It's one of those things that you can bare at this point but bugs the pee out of you . :gah:

SLICK, HOWS THE LUG NUTS,AXLES,SHOCK MOUNTS:Coffee: ETC?
I'll add wheel bearings to that list. Put it up on jack stands and jiggle things around and see if anything is loose.ThumbUp

simple answer.. yes they can do that, experienced it personally

- - - Updated - - -

also agree with VW driver, give the whole rig a wiggle and jiggle and feel and listen. on the ground and off it

Thanks guys ThumbUp I have can't find anything wrong . I put new axle seals in two weeks ago no metal at all in the oil , bearings seem to be good , got coil over shocks should be good , just can't seem to find it . I agree with most everybody can't hurt to change the tires so we'll just have to go from there .

I'll be doing that later this week we're dealing with typical crazy weather in Alabama the last couple days .As soon as it finishes huffing and puffing I'm going to get a set of tires and will be sure to post the results . It may just help others with a similar problem , I know it's a pain in my butt .:kpzxvq:

d.o. t. had a big deal about tire age a few years ago. I don't remember specifics but the deal was about old stock tires at tire dealers. It seems the tires age even in the warehouse. One of the series of numbers on the side wall codes the manufacture date. They were inspecting and making the dealers take the tires older than I think it was 10 years off the sales floor. add the 8 years of wear you put on them.......Good bet you have a tire problem.

ThumbUp,,,Thanks Tom these are dated 05 and the trike was done in 06 so I'm sure it's the only set ever put on . I know tires can do crazy things had one of my big trucks jumping around for a couple months and after checking numerous possibilities for the problem the driver blew one of the pull tires and waa lah . One of the few times I was happy to see a truck tire blow !!!:confused:

You're on the right track with the rear tire inspections. Rule of thumb: Vertical vibration in general is front tire (area) related, shimmy is is usually rear tire(s). Also check neck bearing torque for shimmy.

Rear tire problems could be as simple as air pressures (too much, too little, not balanced).

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
randmevape
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png