How to fry a turkey?

Papa Zook

Staff member
Dec 14, 2007
Conroe, Texas
Ive decided Id like to fry a turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner but Ive never tried it and I dont want to screw it up. I know the amount of oil has to be measured just right and I know how to do that using water to submerge the turkey in first and pre-measuring it. What Im not sure of is the best temperature and cooking time and best seasonings. Rub? Injected? Olive oil rub? I have no idea on these things. I hope to have a nice crispy skin but not black. How do I get it just right and make sure its cooked enough? Anyone done this and have any good tips?

Thanks in advance!

However you do it I'm sure it will be great.

But..

Being in this type of equipment business there's a rule that not too many people follow.

Before dropping the Turkey in, turn off the gas. Have no open flame anywhere around the fry pot or it will ignite. Fresh shortening will ignite at 450* and gas flame burns at 1250*. After everything settles you may start the flame again after a good wipe down of your fry pot.

We have calls all the time about fryers making popping and crackling sounds when they come to temp. (360*) Moisture content will cause shortening to pop and toss hot shortening out of the pot. Turkey's are filled with moisture so please be careful.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Is that the voice of experience, Wiz? I just watched some scary but funny youTube videos about this...........

Is that the voice of experience, Wiz? I just watched some scary but funny youTube videos about this...........

Just the experience of the clean up/aftermath from our customers. Not a pretty site. I just want everyone to be safe. So, turn off the flame before dropping that Turkey. :blush:

After you do the shorting test make sure all the water has left the bird and he is toweled dried. Water and hot oil do not mix

• Admin
However you do it I'm sure it will be great.

But..

Being in this type of equipment business there's a rule that not too many people follow.

Before dropping the Turkey in, turn off the gas. Have no open flame anywhere around the fry pot or it will ignite. Fresh shortening will ignite at 450* and gas flame burns at 1250*. After everything settles you may start the flame again after a good wipe down of your fry pot.

We have calls all the time about fryers making popping and crackling sounds when they come to temp. (360*) Moisture content will cause shortening to pop and toss hot shortening out of the pot. Turkey's are filled with moisture so please be careful.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Thanks for that advice Dave...I would not have thought to turn the flame off...but I WILL!

What ever you do do not put the turkey on then go watch a football game with your brother in law.

And yes you can actually burn the drum sticks totally off the bird, and make the carcass into a hardened blob.

Listen to the voice of expirence, do not abandon the bird.

Hey Zook, we have fried bunches of turkey and will fry one this thanksgiving, come on down to the river bank.
U want a 10-12 lb turkey they fry the best..Ok, thaw out the turkey+++ the day or evening before U want to fry it++++wash it then inject it with the injection mix U can get from most any food store or Wally world... make sure U move the needle around and not just inject it in one spot...then get a can of the green lowreys cajun mix,,, rub this on the turkey all over and on the legs...Place in refrig over night---if U are using the big pot to cook it in, get the oil between 375 to 400 degrees (do not cook this under the carport or in the garage--do it outside)--now drain the turkey as there is going to be some water and injection in the cavity==also make sure U have removed all the goodies from inside the bird...if u have a basket put the bird in the basket should fit sitting flat... get a broom handle and put it through the handle on the basket---have one person on each end of the broom..
take and slowly lower the basket down into the Peanut oil....the temp is going to go down so u will have to raise it, U will want to keep it about 350 deg. and no higher than 375deg. as it tends to burn the oil..We usually cook ours 3 and a half minutes per pound.. Be very careful...Bass pro sells a new cooker for about $119 that is electric and uses less oil.. usually takes about 3 and a half gallons in the big pots.. U can get the peanut oil from Wally world.. Call me if U have any other questions,or if I have confused u.. I am off till Sat.. U have my Cell #. Let me know how it comes out...

Oh... last piece of advice from me..

don't cook this bird on a wooden deck.. :D:D

cook it on a level concrete or asphalt surface.

see you guys later... i'm going to fast until lunch tomorrow.

Great advice Wizard.. I have gotten to where I hate to tell people about frying turkeys, because I worry about them burning something down....
or getting hurt...
The new cookers at Bass pro make it a lot safer and easier...

Everyone have a great Turkey day...

I think with everyone's expert advice it would have turned out perfect.. except for one thing. When I was unwrapping it to fry I noticed it said: "Fully Cooked-Smoked Turkey". :groan:

Marge had ordered it two weeks ago from someone at our church and didn't know it was a cooked turkey. It was still delicious though.:no:

I think with everyone's expert advice it would have turned out prefect.. except for one thing. When I was unwrapping it to fry I noticed it said
"Fully Cooked - Smoked Turkey". :groan:

Marge had ordered it two weeks ago from someone at our church and didn't know it was a cooked turkey. It was still delicious though.:no:

Zook, that is the funniest thing I've heard all day! :p :D :drama::laugh::innocent::giggle:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png