Suzuki - Lehman RPV Or No ?

Apr 21, 2014
Arizona Territory
Hope it's O.K. to start a new thread on this one subject. When disassembling the brake lines, I'd found what I originally thought was a "residual pressure valve" that threads into the 3-way brass T-fitting, then the other 2 lines from the T-fitting feed both rear wheel cylinders.

The section of line in question is a Goodridge piece with a banjo fitting for the rear brake master cylinder and then the other end of the section threads into the T-fitting.

In researching this morning, I found various manufacturers selling flex brake line sections and this one I've got looks to be similar.

Am I correct in thinking that Lehman did NOT use a residual pressure valve (RPV) at all and that what I'd thought was an RPV is actually only a free-flowing brake line fitting ?

As always, Thanx in advance........ThumbUp

Hope it's O.K. to start a new thread on this one subject. When disassembling the brake lines, I'd found what I originally thought was a "residual pressure valve" that threads into the 3-way brass T-fitting, then the other 2 lines from the T-fitting feed both rear wheel cylinders.

The section of line in question is a Goodridge piece with a banjo fitting for the rear brake master cylinder and then the other end of the section threads into the T-fitting.

In researching this morning, I found various manufacturers selling flex brake line sections and this one I've got looks to be similar.

Am I correct in thinking that Lehman did NOT use a residual pressure valve (RPV) at all and that what I'd thought was an RPV is actually only a free-flowing brake line fitting ?

As always, Thanx in advance........ThumbUp

A local bike shop should be able to help you with replacement lines. The original lines used by Lehman were made one-piece, replacements may have multiple components, Don't cheap out here because imported lines might expand while braking. The residual pressure valves were only used after 2000 on particular models (GL1800 Monarch). A residual pressure valve is a good thing but I would only use it if it was to correct a problem.

Last edited:
A local bike shop should be able to help you with replacement lines. The original lines used by Lehman were made one-piece, replacements may have multiple components, Don't cheap out here because imported lines might expand while braking. The residual pressure valves were only used after 2000 on particular models (GL1800 Monarch). A residual pressure valve is a good thing but I would only use it if it was to correct a problem.

This is a relief and I thank you again, Lee. ThumbUp Already installed new brake shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware. The rebuild kit for the master cylinder arrived, so will be doing that as well. Also bought a new length of multi-purpose hose rated at 315 psi and 2 new clamps for the reservoir to master cylinder connection. Thought that I was going to have to replace an RPV, but from what you've just shared, that won't be necessary on this trike.........12 yrs. with zero complaints without an RPV and that section of brake line looks perfectly fine, will just use some new crush washers for the banjo bolt fitting and run with it without worry.

Again, this info is a welcome relief and I truly do appreciate your clarification and input here.

Enjoy the day and Ride Safe........ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuele

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuele
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png